Friday, June 19, 2009

Same Song, Fifteen Thousandth Verse

militia 1

This time the group makes the trip back to the club the old fashioned way: They walk. True to Dusker's word, all the security features have been deactivated. There is no sign of the vambli as the group goes down the stairs and circles around through what are apparently preparation and waiting rooms for club staff or performers. (There is, however, the rather mangled corpse of a Peace Force patrolman.) They enter the club through the door next to the bar.

The first thing that greets them on their return is a look on Betham's face that could wilt a hillside in the Goer'dan cloud forest.

"You let him get away," he growls, "didn't you?"

"That's right," replies Par'deth calmly. "He's more use to us out there than here."

"Oh, I'm sure," says Betham testily. "Especially if he starts shooting people, assuming he doesn't wind up getting blown away first. Really useful!"

"I trust his honor," says Par'deth.

"If he gave you his word," says Dauk, "I'm sure he'll keep it."

"Unless he changes his mind," suggests Detective Gar'en.

"Now, what's that supposed to mean?" says Pru. "You calling him a liar?"

"I'm only stating a possibility," replies Gar'en.

"What possibility?" demands Pru.

"He thinks Yangae honor means dirt," suggests Blue Yangae D with a mocking giggle. "Same old story!"

"There are no absolutes," says Constable Pal'dun. "Honor means different things to different people. If Par'deth..."

"Different things?" says Blue Yangae D, his voice starting to rise. "Maybe among you Hergs! You can't make up your minds, can you? That's why you have to have someone else control them for you all the time!" He gestures toward the priestesses.

"We do NOT control people's minds!" spits Bina. Keil'i quickly grabs her arm.

"Don't bother," says one of the yellow-marked Yangae on the floor weakly. "They'll never understand."

"No, they won't, will they?" says Blue Yangae D. "But we still have to live by their rules, don't we?"

"I didn't think they had rules," says Dauk with a chuckle.

"Of course we do!" says Constable Pal'dun, his calm demeanor cracking. "Why do you think we're here?"

"To protect your own!" replies Blue Yangae D. "You don't give a clod about us!"

"Why do you think we're here?" adds Dauk. "Fair is fair, right?"

"You aren't sanctioned," retorts Detective Gar'en. He nods toward the yellow-marked Yangae on the floor. "You're also a security risk!"

"The warrrrr has begunnnnn," sings Wari.

"We're a necessary evil," replies Dauk.

"You're a public nuisance!" counters Gar'en. "That's an arrestable offense!"

"You mean like your Blues?" demands Blue Yangae D. "Have you arrested any of them? How much protection have you given us against them? None! Bad enough they're scaring people off the streets and out of their businesses south of the river! Now they're here in Ekr'in, and you guys just look the other way every time!"

"The Blues will no longer give you any trouble," says Par'deth.

"I'll vouch for that," admits Pru.

"Well, I appreciate that!" says Dauk sincerely. "They were honorable enough regarding the others in your team, Pru. I'll give them that."

"It's a start," snarls Blue Yangae D.

"What more do you want?" asks Bina impatiently.

Blue Yangae D eyes her sourly before snarling, "Not much point in mentioning it."

Suddenly everyone is jarred to silence by the crash of a table thrown halfway across the room. Trying to collect his composure, Betham looks at his trembling gauntlets and says, "I don't give a flaming lump what you or anyone else here wants! In case you pack of gits can't figure it out, we still have a problem! Last time I checked, the problem was more serious for you than for us! Am I mistaken here?" He glares bolts of pure ice at the Yangae militiamen. "Now of course, since we obviously don't give a clod about what happens to you, we could just ignore the whole thing and let you suffer, right?" He kicks a chair. "It's not happening, is it?"

"You don't have much choice, Constable," says Dauk impassively. "This thing is turning the Yangae against you! It's simple survival, and you know it."

Betham mutters something under his breath.

"We have a common enemy," continues Dauk. "Therefore we have a common cause. We respect that."

"And if we overcome it?" asks Constable Pal'dun.

"Right back at each other's throat," spits Gar'en as he activates his wrister and starts pecking at it.

"We're not giving in to you!" says Blue Yangae D. "You're not controlling our minds!"

"That's exactly what he said!" says Betham, gesturing at Br'am. Then he gestures at the yellow-marked Yangae. "That's probably what they said! And Dusker, and Mek, and...whatever. Probably even Mas'Vallaf! They all said it! What did it get them?" With a sigh, he stomps off in the direction of the exit.

Pru gives Dauk a horrified look.

"He does have a point," says Mey'Luskar quietly.

Binas brooch

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mon'Fargret hurries after Betham, "Before you go, sir, we did gain some decent intelligence and we have a way to get more. Are you interested in that at least? The last I checked, both Hergoth and Yangae have died from this Atlanzi."

The Moody Minstrel said...

"Too many, at last count," says Betham, slowing his stride but not stopping it. "I'm far more interested in your intelligence than the lack of intelligence back there. I'm going to let my friends out. Tell me as we go."

Anonymous said...

"As MF and Betham begin to leave, Zeton walks over to Lirassa and smiles.

"I believe I owe you a large glass of Âbr'eĕn, eh?"

Zeton's smile fades as he continues, "I'm not sure when Betham will give us the green light to leave, but if you're up to it, maybe we should have the Âbr'eĕn at Wirgs later on today. We still need to tell Adulie the bad news about Enjulie."

The Moody Minstrel said...

Lirassa's whole face lights up at the mention of Âbr'eĕn but then becomes serious again at Zeton's last remark.

"I'm touched you remembered," she says earnestly. "She'll be crushed." Then her eyes widen a bit. "How did you know her sister's name was Enjulie?"

Anonymous said...

"Adulie asked me to keep my eyes and ears open for any information about Enjulie when we were at Wirgs. She told me her sister's name at that time."

"Maybe it's best if she doesn't learn of her sister's death while she's at work. You know Adulie fairly well, right? Do you know how to contact her so we can meet with her somewhere else other than Wirg's?

The Moody Minstrel said...

"I have her wrister code," replies Lirassa. "I'm curious, though. If she got you involved enough to tell you her sister's name, did she give you any other information?"

Anonymous said...

"She did, but I haven't taken the time to examine it closely yet. Even though Enjuile's story has a sad ending, I'm hoping whatever information Adulie has given me about her sister might help prevent any more damage to others."

"Speaking of others, I wonder how Nekshi and Granite Spear are doing?"

Zeton takes out his meson communicator and tries to contact Nekshi.

The Moody Minstrel said...

(I'm going to need to bring Nekshi up to date...which will probably take a while. Seymour is dragging his feet.)

Anonymous said...

Mon'Fargret catches up to Betham and quickly tells him what Dusker to the group about "what he knew" but leaving out describing what happened leading up to the teleport and also leaving out the fact that we have a secure channel to his wrister.

Afterwards he hurries back to the group, but tries to get a geographical fix on their location by looking around outside.

Anonymous said...

I just realized they did not leave the building, so nix that last part.

The Moody Minstrel said...

(Well, they kind of left the building. The main entrance to the club opens out into an entry foyer that is more like a roofed garden with open walls. Staying within the foyer, Betham proceeds to another section of the complex that looks like a garage/storeroom facility. It is still possible to see outside enough for Mon'Fargret to spot a few landmarks. Basically, they're in one of the ritziest neighborhoods of Ekr'in District, nestled in the hills along the higher portion of Danstul Park.)

The Moody Minstrel said...

As Zeton starts to activate his wrister, Constable Pal'dun approaches, opening his helmet visor. "Hello again, Lirassa," he says to her. Then he turns to Zeton with a smile. "I don't believe we've really met yet. I saw you briefly at Wirg's yesterday, but I guess I missed you when I got to Nekshi's place after the attack."

Overhearing, Detective Gar'en makes a quizzical face and says, "What, was this lot tied up in both of those, too?" He makes a low whooping noise and says, "Does trouble follow you like a shadow?"

"Not exactly," says Lirassa, and she throws a deliberate look in Mey'Luskar's direction.

Mey'Luskar answers it with a pensive glance and then walks away with a sigh.

Pal'dun looks at Gar'en, nods in Mey'Luskar's direction, and says quietly, "Between blue and gray."

Gar'en's large Hergoth eyes somehow get larger. He mouths, "You're serious?"

Par'en gestures affirmative.

"But..."

"Not here," interrupts Pal'dun hastily. "Put it out of your mind."

"Right," says Gar'en, and he turns away looking rather shell-shocked.

"Anyway," says Pal'dun to Zeton, "whatever happened to Nekshi and her Shurian companion?"

Anonymous said...

While Zeton waits for Nekshi to answer his call or for her voice-messaging to kick in, he replies to Pal'dun, "I honestly have no idea what happened to them."

Anonymous said...

Mon'Fargret returns and walk towards Dabid.

"Old Root, I really wish we could be back at the shop making and selling art again. I wonder if any of it will be the same again. Even my art will change from this and it isn't even over yet. Even though it has been difficult, I am glad you are here with me."

The Moody Minstrel said...

"I'm not sure how much use I've really been," replies Dabid with a sigh.

"If you don't mind, my lord," says Dauk, approaching, "I'm rather intrigued. I've seen that you're a very skilled shot, but I've also heard you're an artist by trade. Is this true?"

"Didn't you see him on Morva Free Channel last night?" asks one of the yellow-marked Yangae.

"I stay away from vids," replies Dauk. "Did you see his work?"

"Not very close," replies the yellow-marked Yangae, "but it was interesting! It kind of...well, what I saw looked like...um...ah, I don't remember my art history well. It was one of the classic Yangae styles, but with an interesting twist. I mean it was...what...?"

"Hergoth," puts in Blue Yangae D. "He combines classic Yangae and Hergoth styles." He frowns. "Not sure I really like that..."

"Really?" says the yellow-marked Yangae. "Hergoth, eh? Well I guess it's kind of hard to avoid them on this rock, isn't it?" He shares a chuckle with some of the other militiamen.

"But does it work?" asks Dauk thoughtfully.

"Very well," replies Dabid in an almost challenging tone.

The Yangae stare at him for a second or two. Then the yellow-marked Yangae who spoke before says, "I thought it looked cool!"

"I suppose it does," admits Blue Yangae D with a sigh.

"I don't really get it," says Pru, wrinkling her nose. "I'm just not an art fan. Sorry, my lord!"

"You've been awfully quiet, Meskar," says Dauk, looking at Mey'Luskar. "Have you seen his art?"

"I have," she replies. Then she adds authoritatively, "I think it's a masterful combination!"

"Interesting," says Dauk. Then to Mon'Fargret he says, "What inspired you to do this, my lord?"

The Moody Minstrel said...

While this conversation is going on, Blaghl says to Ham, "You may want to keep that scanner going. We still don't know where the big guy himself is or what he's up to."

Anonymous said...

Zeton slowly becomes a little worried after Nekshi does not reply and no message application begins. After hearing Blaghl's recommendation to remain on guard, Zeton quickly terminates the call and decides to try a different approach.

Zeton opens his pocket computer and activates Little Brother. He then begins his favorite encrypted chat / text messaging application and send Nekshi a short message asking about her status.

"Pal'dun, I'm happy to help get the other Peace Forcers and assist in any way I can for as long as you want, but I think Blaghl has a point. We should try and leave this club as soon as possible."

Anonymous said...

"I'm not sure how it started, really. After the last bunch of fighting I wanted to get away, to find some peace. I started working on a farm and learned some Hergoth culture. The art was the only thing that could take me away from the memories of death and fighting." Mon'Fargret replies.

"I don't how these influences came together, they just did. A number of explanations occurred to me as to why this should be, but none seem to fit the reality. Art has it's own reason I think. I just try to express it as it comes."

The Moody Minstrel said...

(Slow down, InfoGeek! As I said, Nekshi and Granite Spear are still living almost half an hour ago! Give me a chance to catch up!)

Dauk listens to Mon'Fargret with pursed lips.

Blue Yangae D says, "So, you were a soldier, my lord! It sounds like you've had quite an adventure!"

"It explains a few things," says the yellow-marked Yangae that spoke before. (Yellow Yangae D, to be precise, the only one that is female.)

"Oh, the good lord is quite a class!" says Pru cheerfully.

"My only concern," says Dauk grimly, "is what kind of effect living among Hergoth like that would have on a fellow. We all know they mess with each other's mind. How do we know they didn't mess with his?" He throws an uncertain glance at the priestesses and then levels his gaze on Zeton.

The Moody Minstrel said...

"Are you really so worried about that?" says Constable Pal'dun.

Dauk doesn't reply.

"Don't get us wrong," says Blue Yangae D. "We respect you, but we want you to respect us, too."

"We have rules!" says Yellow Yangae D. "We need those rules to live! We don't want you to change them...or take them away!"

"We don't want you in our minds, either," says Dauk, "any more than we want that Atlanzi!"

Both of the two Hergoth patrolmen and one of the other detectives bristle at that remark and assume aggressive stances. The Yangae respond in kind, though more slowly.

"As you were!" says Pal'dun. "We don't need this!"

"No, we don't," agrees Dauk. "We don't need a lot of things!"

The Moody Minstrel said...

"I know I don't need to listen to any more of this rakh," snorts Lirassa. "Come on, Ham, guys! Let's go! We can let oil and water keep reminding each other they can't mix till the Great Crunch!"

"Who says they can't mix?" says Mey'Luskar.

Pru tries (and fails) to signal her surreptitiously not to continue. Before she does, however, Per'anai says, "Of course they can mix! And good things often come when they do!"

"Like what?" demands Blue Yangae D. "I mean besides the lord's art?"

"Don't forget," replies Per'anai, glancing at Mey'Luskar, "that The Path, the highest of the high among the Hergoth, is half Yangae!"

Pru and Yellow Yangae D both gasp with surprise.

"What, you didn't know that?" remarks Dauk scornfully. "I thought everyone knew the Hergoth have a mongrel bastard as their..."

The reaction from the Hergoth side is immediate, violent...and comes to an even more immediate stop. Both of the patrolmen and lower ranked detectives as well as Detective Gar'en and Bina virtually freeze mid leap. At the same time, a feeling of warm, welcome calm fills the room and everyone's heart.

"So we have a mongrel bastard as our highest leader," says Per'anai calmly behind a film of deep blue light. "What of it? It doesn't trouble her. Why should it trouble anyone else?"

"Doesn't it give you any shame?" asks Dauk, looking around in confusion.

"For what? She is what she is, just as I am. Just as you are. What matters is who she is. And as for messing with your mind, what you are feeling now is the greatest extent of it. Are your thoughts still your own?"

"I...think so," says Dauk.

"Is it the same as the Atlanzi?"

"No," says Yellow Yangae D. "Not at all! It filled me with hate and anger...all the things I don't like about myself!"

The feeling of calm fades.

Per'anai looks at the militiamen thoughtfully. "If you were forced to choose, Yangae citizens of Lyranell, which would you have, the calm of unconditional love, or the violence of unrepressed hate?"

The Yangae look at each other. Then Pru says, "I'm not sure I like that choice."

Anonymous said...

Mon'Fargret jumps in to the conversation, "I don't think there is a simple comparison between what the Hergoth have learned and how the Atlanzi access the mind. A couple of things are evident to me though. First, the Atlanzi is a clear threat to Yangae and Hergoth alike. Whatever means necessary should be used to free ourselves from that force."

"Second, respecting individual privacy can and should be a prime component of any tool, spiritual or physical," he flashes a look at Bina and Keil'i, " but when self-discipline is lacking sometimes it is necessary to temporarily set aside privacy, as just happened," he looks straight at Dauk when he says that.

"Thirdly, I believe that we Yangae would benefit from having a similar skill for many reasons. We are capable of acquiring it, but we must find our own means to come to it. We can't just copy The Path; it must be done in a Yangae way."

The Moody Minstrel said...

Dauk shrugs. "As you wish, my lord," he says dismissively and turns to amble over to the bar.

Blue and Yellow Yangae Ds both have thoughtful looks on their faces, as does Dabid.

The other Yangae are still stunned or otherwise unconscious.

Pru just looks confused.

As for the Hergoth, those whose faces can be seen show mixtures of curiosity and puzzlement (as far as typically muted Hergoth facial expressions go) before they are all distracted by something.

"The Geishana are here!" says Pal'dun, and he hurries toward the entrance waving at the others.

The Moody Minstrel said...

As the (still conscious) Peace Forcers and Yangae militiamen scramble to prepare for the arriving medical workers, Per'anai calls Mon'Fargret closer in a voice that precludes any debate.

When he approaches the powerful priestess, she fixes him with a piercing gaze and says, "You speak wisely, as is fitting for one who has been made aware as you have. However, there is one point where we cannot entirely agree. From my own perspective, I will argue that, when self-discipline is lacking, sometimes privacy is exactly what is needed."

She throws an intense look at Bina, who looks back with a jolt as if she has been hit with a stun baton. Keil'i and Gaima both look wide-eyed with shock.

Bina clearly pleads with her superior with all her might, but Per'anai responds aloud, "Do not speak to me as a priestess, Bina Ber'meina. I will not answer you until you re-earn the privilege."

Then she holds out her hand.

"No!" says Mey'Luskar, running out from behind Mon'Fargret. "No, Mountain-Eye, please! Don't do this!" She turns and drums on Mon'Fargret's shoulder. "Tell her to stop this!"

"This weighs on my soul far more than yours, Mey'Luskar," retorts Per'anai, "because it is my own mistake! I was blinded by her dedication and her talent, so I neglected her proper training. Now I've seen the result of my carelessness!"

"Woah," says Pru. "Wh-what's going on?"

"She's being kicked out!" replies Mey'Luskar with disbelief.

Per'anai holds her hand out more firmly. With a look of hopelessness and trembling breath, Bina unclasps her brooch.

Anonymous said...

"I will not interfere in your affairs, but I want it known that without Bina's help, we would not have freed Dusker from the Atlanzi and many more would have died."

He turns to Bina, "I am grateful your help, Bina, and I hope that you stay to become a priestess again. The way to reach the sunlight is not always straight up and the sometimes the roots must be re-established. You are always welcome with Dabid and I."

The Moody Minstrel said...

After Bina hands over her brooch, Per'anai says, "The tiara too." Bina complies with a shamed sigh. Then Per'anai says, "I'll leave the tunic with you in hope that you can honor it again in the future. I'll have your things brought to you once you know where you will be staying." Then she turns to Mon'Fargret and says, "We will return now to the Temple. I leave Bina with you. May she be even more help to you, and in doing so may she come to better understand what she is." Turning to Bina again, she says more gently, "If I have wronged you, child, I am deeply sorry." Then she bows.

Bina returns the bow quietly.

With that, Per'anai turns and holds up her hands. The gate appears almost immediately. She enters it without hesitation. Gaima pauses long enough to give Bina a regretful nod, then she follows her superior.

Keil'i remains long enough to offer her friend a silent prayer before she too turns to follow. The gate snaps shut behind her and disappears.

The Moody Minstrel said...

The Geishana paramedics are already coming into the room when Mey'Luskar turns to Dauk and spits, "Why did you have to open your sodding mouth?"

Dauk shrugs while examining a half-empty bottle. "I knew that priestess wouldn't let them attack me. That's why I said what I did." When Mey'Luskar and Pru continue to glare at him, he adds, "How was I supposed to know they'd punish the one priestess who had enough spine to defend her honor?" With a harrumph, he sets the bottle down and starts to reach for another. Suddenly he cries out and falls to the floor with a crash.

"I'm no longer bound by the Covenenant," says Bina in a disturbing, low voice.

Anonymous said...

"He probably deserved that but that's not a road you want to go down," interjects Mon'Fargret hoping she didn't zap him too badly.

"Due to our circumstances, you will need to adjust quickly. I am sorry about what happened, but it is done. You will find that some rules may be discarded but most are there for a reason. Let's use that wonderful mind of yours against the Atlanzi."

The Moody Minstrel said...

(As MF says this, Dauk rises up from behind the bar muttering curses. Apparently his feet slipped out from under him. He doesn't seem to realize the significance of it, but Yellow Yangae D is looking at Bina with obvious fear in her eyes.)

"He's right," says Par'deth gently but firmly as he approaches. "Listen to the voice of the Entity and the Oneness, not of Bann! You'll only destroy yourself."

Bina replies with a silent bow, eyes lowered.

Then Par'deth turns to the others and says, "I and my fellows will take our leave now, too. We'll be nearby if you need us. Betham will be back soon, but I would recommend moving quickly in any case. The enemy is badly weakened right now. It may not be long until it recovers. It also knows exactly where we all are right now."

Anonymous said...

"Thank you for all your help Par'deth, I'm quite confident our story would have ended very differently without you. I hope when we meet again, it will be under more pleasant circumstances."

Zeton then turns to Mon'Fargret and Lirassa, "I'm ready to leave whenever you all are."

The Moody Minstrel said...

"Well, I'm ready to leave this place in the peat," says Lirassa. "Is it really alright for us to go?" Then she looks askance at Mey'Luskar and adds more quietly, "What are we going to do about her?"

Anonymous said...

[Hey there Mr. GM. I am wondering about a few things. It sounded like Seymour and Dew Kid's characters are behind us on the timeline. Couple that with the tendency for summer absenteeism. Should we wait for catching up and/or a hiatus or should we roleplay with redoubled vigor with the enemy slightly set upon its heels?]

The Moody Minstrel said...

[It might be a good idea to try to let Seymour and DewKid catch up since they are a bit behind. We are working on it...though it might take a little while. I don't mind if things slow down a bit for a while; it'll help me catch up on the illustrations!]

The Moody Minstrel said...

As if reading Lirassa's mind, Mey'Luskar says sheepishly, "Um, if we're leaving, can I just go downstairs and get my things?" When all eyes in the immediate vicinity turn to her, she adds, "Um, I won't have much."

"Do you need help?" asks Bina quietly.

"No," replies Mey'Luskar with well-ingrained conceit. Then she looks at Bina more softly and says, "But if you're offering..." She studies the disgraced priestess for a minute and adds, "I might have something you can put on. I mean...if you don't want to walk around like that all day..."

"That would be nice," says Bina like she's on the verge of choking.

Mey'Luskar glances around at the others. Then she gestures to Bina, and the two head toward the passage where the rest rooms are.

The Moody Minstrel said...

And now for a new post...