The Geishana start hauling the wounded outside, and the fully conscious Yangae militiamen gather themselves up to go. As for the Hergoth Peace Forcers, there seem to be more now than there were before, and they are either performing police work, helping the Geishana, or just milling about looking around in wonder.
Dauk and Pru approach the party a bit hesitantly, Dauk with a bit of a limp. Seeing this, Constable Pal'dun comes as well.
After a wary glance at Pal'dun, Dauk looks at Mon'Fargret, bows awkwardly, and says, "My lord, I meant what I said. We want this thing gone. Until then, we all have a common cause. I don't know if the Hergs will respect that, but I know you will."
Zeton, who has been fiddling with his wrister on and off for the past several minutes, finally heaves a sigh of relief as a welcome tone sounds. Then he can be heard speaking Yangae quietly.
Pel'dun raises the visor of his helmet and says, "I think lack of respect is the root of a lot of our problems right now."
"Just how deep is that root?" wonders Dauk. "Alright, Constable. For now at least we'll leave that one buried. I need to go with my team to the hospital. I'm sure they'll be wanting to ask questions." He makes a face as if the words tasted awful. "Allow me to give you a code so you can contact me." He starts fiddling with his wrister.
"I need to go too," says Pru. "My team...you know." She draws a breath and lets it out slowly. "I'd like to meet up with you later. Where are you going next?" She glances at Pal'dun. "You are going, aren't you?"
Pal'dun shrugs. "I don't see why not. But I'd like to have an idea where you're going in case something comes up."
During the ensuing pause, Zeton can be heard saying to his wrister, "You know the spot, we recently had lunch there. Shall we meet there, in say an hour?"
There are some looks of surprise and of confusion. Then Lirassa says, "Do you think they'll even let us in?"
"Where?" asks Pru, puzzled at everyone's reaction.
Monday, September 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
Mon'Fargret addresses Dauk, "I agree that we are all risk from this thing. The battle we just fought took all of us. Victory may well depend on whether we as intelligent beings are smart enough to put aside past animosities. At great need, you must shed the unnecessary. This is that time."
He looks over at Lirassa, "Why not? We didn't blow a hole in the floor. Dusker did."
[Crap. I feel like I've forgotten everything...shorter break next time.]
"Good point," agrees Lirassa. She looks around and wrinkles her nose. "Whatever. Let's just get out of here!"
Dauk glances at her uncertainly, then he says, "There. I've beamed a contact code to your wrister, my lord." He bows and clicks his tongue. "By your leave..." With that he turns to go.
"I'm not so much concerned about Wirg as I am about the forces working against us. Wirg's will definitely be watched. Well, at least I would be watching Wirg's if I were after us."
"I also need to break the bad news to Adulie about her sister. Wirg's isn't the right place for that, but we don't need to stay once we get there."
"If anyone thinks Wirgs is a bad idea, I can always send Nekshi an ultra encrypted message about a change of venue."
Zeton pauses to make sure he has all his gear and then continues, "So, do you think Kuluf will magically join us as he usually does, or does anyone have a way of contacting him?"
"Wirg?" echoes Pru. "You talkin' about that old pub-cafe over by Artists' Square?" She makes a quizzical face before continuing. "Never been there."
"Is there a problem?" asks Lirassa deliberately.
Pru hesitates, looking up at the much-taller Besteeng, before replying, "It's...just not the sort of place I'd go to. At least not...usually."
"Because it's run by a free Bolgan?" asks Lirassa.
"Because it's too snobbish!" snaps Pru defensively. Then she deflates and adds, "Besides, everyone in the Scarlet Order knows who used to hang out there!"
"That was almost fifty years ago," points out Dabid.
"Doesn't matter, purple," replies Pru. "Its history is stained!"
"Snobbish? Um... that isn't the word I would use, but... Pru, unless you are amazingly older than you look, that must have been well before your time. For that matter, I didn't think Wirg was that old. Who are you talking about?"
"Ganneth," replies Dabid with a smirk. "That pub probably changed hands a number of times before Wirg got it, but during the last few years of the Occupation Ganneth the Hero was a regular there."
"Hero..." echoes Pru bitterly.
"Yes," puts in Constable Pal'dun. "Ganneth was a Hero. Just like Par'deth, but higher."
Pru scoffs. "Par'deth didn't rape and murder all those people...and then blow up half the sodding planet!"
"I'm surprised Wirg hasn't tried to cash in on that!" says Lirassa, ignoring Pru.
"Oh really?" retorts Pru. She snorts. "He probably respects his Yangae clientele a bit more than that!" Then she throws a sour look at Zeton.
Sensing the tension building and wanting to diffuse it as best as possible, Zeton smiles warmly at Pru and says, "Don't look at me in that tone of voice."
Laughing a bit, Zeton continues, "I'm sorry Pru, I couldn't resist. I didn't realize the history associated with Wirg's. If it makes you feel uncomfortable, you don't have to join us, or you could suggest somewhere else for us to go."
"Speaking of going, we should probably make tracks or we may be late. Shall we go?"
"We're waiting for the princess and the priestess," replies Lirassa playfully but impatiently.
Pru cracks a hint of a smile. "Oh, I'll meet you there. Might as well. Anyway, if you'll excuse me." She performs a few quick bows in various directions and then heads off toward the exit.
"It is heartening to see us all returning to our previous bickering. It isn't as though we all just fought for our lives together or something," Mon'Fargret intones with a dour grin.
Then with a bit more vim and vigor, "Zeton, I look forward to seeing our compatriots. I miss trying to disentangle the philosophy of Nekshi and the elusive Granite Spear. I hope Kuluf is well."
"If Bina and Mey are about ready, I say we follow Zeton's lead."
(Fast forward slightly through some trivial banter and expressions of impatience...)
The awaited pair finally appear. Mey'Luskar is wearing a fashionable day pack and carrying a duffel bag. Bina has a couple of travel bags.
Yes, the round-faced, young Hergoth woman is unquestionably Bina, though she looks quite different dressed in Yangae-style casual wear instead of her priestess's tunic. Her hair is in ponytails rather than braided, and she has removed the priest-style paint from around her eyes.
Those eyes still look very blown away.
"I think we're ready," says Mey'Luskar cheerfully, but with a melancholy sigh. "Now where can we put this stuff?"
"Where indeed?" Zeton furrows his eyebrows a bit and seems to talk to no one in particular.
"Well, I can help carry some of your belongings, and I'm sure Mon'Fargret would be happy to help, but I don't think we'll get very far walking. Do we call a cab or does someone have a better idea for transportation?"
"Well, I have a feeling we're up in the Tuli Hills area north of Danstul' Park," observes Lirassa. When Mey'Luskar answers with an affirmative gesture, she adds, "If you're serious about going to Wirg's, or even just Artists' Square, it's at least a half hour walk even if we cut through the park."
"Half hour?" echoes Mey'Luskar teasingly. "It never took me more than fifteen, twenty minutes at the most!"
Lirassa's brows lower. "Not all of us walk like our trousers are on fire!" she retorts. "Anyway, unless we have something we can use here..."
"I only have my hoverbike," cuts in Mey'Luskar. "I don't have access to Dusker's flier."
"Unless we have something we can use here...," repeats Lirassa very deliberately, "I suggest getting a cab. Even a couple!" Then she glances at Widjgleeby. "Maybe a bus."
"Dusker's flier? Mey, do you think Dusker would mind if we used it... I mean, if we were able to gain access to it? Wait, is there enough room for Widj in his flier?"
After a brief moment, Zeton's expression changes to slight concern.
"Maybe that's not such a good idea... part of me feels it's the least he can do for us since we let him go, but what would we do with it once we got to Wirg's? I wouldn't want to keep it. Too easily traced or remotely controlled by others."
Zeton quickly uses his wrister to find a local taxi service that has vehicles to accommodate Farbets and places a call for a ride.
"Mey, do you want to follow us on your hoverbike, or do you plan on leaving it here?"
Mey'Luskar thinks for a few seconds, chewing on her lip, and then says, "I think I'll go on my bike. Are we going straight to Wirg's, or can we find a place to put my stuff first?"
Constable Pal'dun, who has been silently listening to the conversation, clears his throat and says, "Do you need a lift? I might be able to arrange it."
"Constable Pal'dun, you were being so quiet I nearly forgot you were here... Um, yes, we could definitely use some help with transportation."
Zeton is trying hard to hide his embarrassment at not asking for help in the first place.
"I don't want to speak for Mon'Fargret, but maybe you could store your belongings with him? Mon'Fargret, what do you think?"
"Sure, we have room if Dabid doesn't object. It isn't as if we are selling much art right now. There are a few items I should pick up anyway," Mon'Fargret replies.
He continues seemingly content to abdicate to Zeton, "Considering how long we've been awake, a little nap time would do all of us some good. I would be most grateful to the good constable for some assistance."
"No problem," Pal'dun replies cheerfully, rubbing his hands. "We have a couple of vans waiting outside. I'll use one of them."
"Police vans?" asks Lirassa dubiously.
"Well...," says Pal'dun sheepishly, "after all, they brought them here expecting to arrest you. Since that's not happening, well..."
(Let's continue on a new post.)
Post a Comment