There is a flurry of quiet activity in the room.
Ham Sahladt is reconfiguring himself in anticipation.
Mon'Fargret is thoughtfully eying the woman outside through the narrow opening in the door while readying his gear.
Lirassa is crouching, tensed as if to spring, behind the chair, the reconfigured hot comb (which no longer looks like a hot comb) clutched in her hand and a very intense look on her face.
Dabid is standing near the media terminal actively wishing he were somewhere else.
Widjgleeby, smelling all the tension in the air, turns her attention toward the room but keeps her bec-de-spoon raised.
Mey'Luskar is trembling, but her fears seem to be about evenly divided between the Farbett and the person at the door.
Nekshi takes a step backward from the door, still looking puzzled.
Zeton moves quietly toward her, intent on moving her still further from the door.
Heaven only knows what Granite Spear is doing.
Mira (if that is her real name), can be heard to chortle. Then she says, "Alright, then. Fools."
290 comments:
1 – 200 of 290 Newer› Newest»Alright, you guys...I need d20 rolls (against SPD) from Ham, Nekshi, Zeton, and Mon'Fargret.
Widjgleeby, I need a d10 roll (against your ALT).
Ham rolls a "1" so SPD 14-1= 13 pts
(rolling real dice in just so much more satisfying)
You won't believe this, but Zeton rolls a one as well! I guess it pays to get up early, eh Ham?
15-1 = 14
Are you guys going to use your "swift attack" skill?
MF rolls a 4. I apologize that I do not have a character sheet on my current PC.
I believe I have a pistol bonus and I will use swift attack if I have it.
O.K. I rolled a "1" as well. Which makes me a "12" on the ALT.
(Morey, what's an ALT?)
Side note to the Gamemaster dude. When I was at the market I purchased a chef's knife. (not fancy, just serviceable) I need to know how much it would have cost so I can update my pocket money. Come to think of it, I bought a bunch of groceries too. It says nothing on my character sheet about a charge account so I assume it was a cash transaction. I would hate to be short on funds when my stomache starts rumbling again.
On that note. Are Farbetts like earth reptiles and eat every week or so or am I going to need large amounts of meat every day?
For the record, Snabbie, your SPD is 14.
OK, Philippa, I guess you're fully in the game. You'll make a normal SPD roll (d20, subtract the result from 9).
Nekshi rolled a 20, so she won't be doing much this round!
Philippa-
A good but not fancy chef's knife would probably put you out 2BMU. As for the groceries, Nekshi bore the greatest share of the cost, and others chipped in, too.
Your social class is a bit on the low side (kind of the border between working class and lower class - think waitress at a greasy spoon diner), but I'm sure you do have a charge account...that you have to be careful not to overload. I wouldn't worry too much about typical daily expenses unless you start splurging. If you want to be technical about it, though, I figure 1 BMU is about equal to $10.00 at current prices. (It was $5.00 in 1993.)
As for Farbett eating habits, you are correct. Farbetts don't eat at regular intervals, but rather do so when they feel like eating and a good opportunity presents itself. Most of the time they gorge themselves in one go and then don't bother about it for a number of days.
I might also add that Farbetts are omnivorous. While they tend to prefer meat, on Farbettolliana a good portion of the regular food culture consists of vegetables and various forms of cultivated fungus. What you eat also tends to reflect your level of affluence, i.e. people with means happily stuff all manner of imported animals into their gullets, whereas those with tighter budgets rely on the synthetic food products and bulk fungus at the government food banks.
Here on Lyranell you do have access to sponsored food banks provided specifically for Farbetts (since it is in the Farbett-Ergothei Alliance), but the rations are tighter.
Okay...Widjgleeby's SPD roll is still pending, but what basically happens is this:
The exchange begins when Mira says, "Fools." Ham, Zeton, and Mon'Fargret all anticipate that that means diplomacy is over and immediately seize the initiative.
Impulse 1 pre-movement
Ham, Zeton, and MF, are you going to change your movement status? (Yes, you are in the pre-emptive stage, since you got more speed points than Mira did. If you want to react to what she does, you'll have to wait.)
Yes, Zeton is changing his movement status to advance toward Nekshi to grab her and move her and Zeton to some form of cover; such as behind one of the chairs in the room. Also, to ensure that Zeton is able to move in and get Nekshi out of harms way, Zeton will use his swift attack skill. (Thank you for the explanation via email.)
Zeton, you were already moving (quietly) toward Nekshi, so I'll take your comment to mean you're changing to "urgent speed".
Okay, you're at Nekshi's position now. I'll assume you'll switch direction toward the chairs after grabbing Nekshi (which will be your action this impulse).
Here's an updated layout.
Wow, another cool map! Yes, switching direction sounds great. After looking at the map, Zeton will do everything he can to stay out of Lirassa's, Ham's and Mon'Fargret's field of fire, so I guess that means moving toward Dabid to try and get Nekshi to the chair behind him.
M'F aims his pistol at the door and darts in next to Lirassa. He will fire once he has a clear shot and a target.
Nekshi's intently looking at her comm screen again. Granite always calls at bad times!
Ham's only action is to pull the the gun metal cylinder hilt out of his jacket out into the open in a ready position ..and waits...
[I will reserve my swift action to combine with my med hand weapon skill..and yep Zeton it does pay .. :) although I dont have the official sanctioned administrative skills as you do ... so Im just relying on raw talent ;)~ ]
(Remember people...movement and actions are handled separately!)
Anyway...impulse 1 movement:
Zeton stops and prepares to reverse direction.
Mon'Fargret leaps toward Lirassa's position.
Ham stands his ground.
Mira jumps away from the opening in the door to her right (your left, i.e. toward the hinged side of the door), and you can clearly hear her hit the floor and roll.
Now...ACTIONS (all already stated).
Zeton grabs Nekshi.
Ham draws his gun-metal cylinder.
Mon'Fargret aims (I assume where Mira most likely is behind the door...but no clear target).
POST-MOVEMENT (i.e. due to acceleration, etc.):
Zeton moves a couple of steps backward, dragging Nekshi.
IMPULSE 2 - Pre-movement (also mostly decided)
Mon'Fargret settles into position behind cover next to Lirassa, maintaining his aim.
Zeton moves a couple more steps (and Dabid shifts to let him past).
Actions
You're up first, Mon'Fargret. As I said, you don't have a clear target since Mira has jumped and rolled away from the door. Are you going to try taking a "best guess" shot, or save your speed points?
(For the record: I don't know if I mentioned this or not, but each of you started out with 10 fortune points [i.e. points you can use to fudge die rolls]. I'll let you know if you need them.)
Assuming Nekshi is clear of the left side of the door (if not tell me and I will change my action), M'F generates some offense and shoots for the best guess.
I rolled an 8 (and I will use a fortune point). M'F's pistol bonus is +5.
Did I mention I crossed my fingers and rubbed the Buddha? (okay, it was my own belly)
Zeton has gotten Nekshi far enough away for a clear shot as far as you know.
Now...just for the record. Are you going to assume that Mira is crouched just to the left of the door or still moving?
Also: what firing mode is your pistol in, single-pulse or beam? If beam, are you going to shoot a short or long burst?
Beam, long burst. M'F is going to assume should moved laterally (.5m) and backward (1.5m). Depending on the penetration ability of the pistol, he may slowly "strafe" if more info comes to light.
[I will work out damages with Nekshi later]
Mon'Fargret's pistol makes a sound like a jet engine as several hundred kilojoules of energy tears through the air. The rapidly-strobing beam, being more or less ordinary laser, is only faintly visible. However, it's impossible to miss the blast that erupts from the wall next to the door. As the walls are composed of non-flammable (and likely flame-retardant) brick, they are shattered by the shock wave rather than burned.
Its clear that the bricks absorbed a considerable amount of the energy. However, there is now an oval-shaped hole about 8cm high and 15cm wide about 30cm off the floor.
(MF, you have the option of either ending your shot there or sustaining it. What say you?)
Suddenly there is a series of crunching sounds, and several holes appear in the north (relative to the map) wall of the room. A bullet whizzes past Ham's ear. Another one parts a few of Lirassa's hairs.
Zeton takes a hit to the ankle. (Three fortune points will make it miss.)
Mei'Luskar cries out and stumbles.
From outside on the veranda you hear a loud "RAKH!!!"
Your action, Ham.
I will cease for now.
So much for Nekshi's cleaning deposit.
(I'm STILL waiting for Widjgleeby's SPD roll! Should I do it myself?)
Nope. I rolled an "8" from 9 is "1"
Okay, Widj. You'll be in on the action very soon.
Ham, based on what you told me, do you want to use your last speed point this impulse to make an ALT check to locate Mira's exact position? (You still have plenty more points coming during this exchange.)
(Okay, Info Geek opted to keep his fortune points...)
Zeton stumbles, but keeps his grip on Nekshi, so she winds up landing right on top of him. (Of course, she's a lot smaller than he is, so it's not that big of a deal.)
He's bleeding rather heavily from his right ankle.
(Okay, Ham opted to do the ALT check to identify her position.)
We're coming into Impulse 3 now.
Pre-Movement
Mey'Luskar and Zeton are currently falling to the floor. Everyone else is in position somewhere.
Ham, MF, Zeton, you can all change your movement status if you like.
[We need to work on some of the details here. Bricks on an interior wall? Shots from the north (through the bedrooms!?)? Couple that with not being able to get a word in edgewise without shots being fired and getting chemically attacked for walking into a store. Also, we all seem like unlucky Forrest Gumps while our adversaries have complete sensory information about things like current events, building materials, how to see their target through walls, etc. My sense of credibility is getting a bit strained. You either need to provide more detail or cut us a break on not being there ourselves to have the same mental picture as the GM.]
M'F moves to evade the line of fire and to tend to Mey.
[Uh, oh...I'm getting griped at...]
The wall - Brick on the outside, paneled on the inside, but your shot still had to cut through the bricks to get outside.
Shots from the north - That's right. Actually, they came more from the northwest, i.e. through the elevator shaft and adjoining wall. Bullets fired from a high-powered slug thrower will easily penetrate that far. (For the record, an ordinary .303 caliber rifle bullet, which is pretty much the same as a 7.62mm machine gun, can cut through more than half a foot of brick and still have killing power. These walls aren't that thick!) If they are armor-piercing rounds, they'll go even further. That would include pretty much any gauss or rail firearm larger than a short-round pistol (the main reason they're still in use - they penetrate better than energy weapons!). Still, having to go through all those walls robbed the slugs of a lot of their energy, something both Zeton and Mey'Luskar are probably very thankful for right now (i.e. their limbs are still attached).
Forrest Gump - Don't forget that your group only just got together today...and right now you're going up against a fully-equipped and very experienced team that came prepared with gear and an action plan. Even so, note that Mira screamed after the shots came from the north, and the salvo immediately stopped. In other words, they might have just had a friendly-fire incident. Even the best have their Gump days.
Getting a word in edgewise - Don't forget that each impulse is ONE SECOND. How many words can most people get in edgewise during a single second of time...while they're looking around, thinking, moving, aiming, shooting, etc.? Besides, the order of play is determined by your speed points, and a lot of the activity is happening almost simultaneously. If you're up for an action, you can have your say. Oh, and by the way, there was only about a half a second of delay between your shot and the salvo coming from the north (which was designed to take you guys by surprise). Perhaps you had enough time to say, "I...SHIT!!"
How much more detail do I need to provide?
Okay, MF, I'm going to assume you're staying down to keep your profile low (i.e. reducing the chance of a hit). During this impulse you'll cover about two-thirds of the distance to Mey'Luskar.
If you like, you can change it to a rolling leap, in which case you'll close the distance and put yourself in cover behind the kitchen partition, but you won't be able to do any actions until next impulse.
Zeton will do his best to stop once he hits the floor.
[Thanks for answering my gripe. You knew I had to be the first... ;) M'F is about as short as MiniMe so he should make a small target {he hopes}).]
M'F will stay the course so he keeps his balance and can help more quickly.
A brief glimpse at the clipped scanner and Ham will move at high speed thru the front door leading with the pistol muzzle and pursue... firing the pistol as soon as its muzzle the door jamb and acquire my target [multiple shot] and advance. To Lirassa "follow and cover fire ... target is southwest corner, prone but moving." [I will leave a lane of fire for Lirassa]
read ...as it muzzle clears the door jamb... then moving over and opening up a fire lane for Lirassa ..then advancing rapidly
I'll speak out of character here, since Nekshi's not doing anything for a bit, and feel free to edit this, Kevin, if you think I'm getting too technical (that would never happen).
I think it's important that everybody understands the gamesystem we're playing with and is comfortable with the terms involved. Now, some of this is on the Impasse Wiki, but perhaps we should all take a step back for a second to familarize ourselves with what we all think is happening here, since we are dealing with matters of life and death (for our characters, anyways!)
Now, as I understand it, the basic combat turn in Impasse is the 'Round' which is a ten second period of movement and action. The 'Round'(10 sec) is divided into two, (5 sec) 'Exchanges'.
The 'Exchange' is the real 'meat' of combat. Each character rolls for Speed points for each 'Exchange'. This is done by rolling a d20 and subtracting that result from a character's SPD characteristic. So a low roll on a d20 is good. It generates more SPD points to divide amongst the five, one second impulses.
Now Kevin, when SPD points are generated, are they distributed evenly amoungst the impulses? Or do they form a kind of curve fatter at the end or the beginning of the Exchange? And do actions cost SPD points? And what are the costs? Also, we have the 'Quick Draw' and 'Swift Attack' skills, do these skills subtract from the cost of actions (obviously!)
I seem to remember a point based action system in Impasse, but it has been 20 years or so. Does changing movement status cost SPD points as well (it should). How do you handle delayed actions? As you can see, I have a basic idea of how your combat system works. But I'm missing some important facts somewheres.
I know we kind of touched on this during the standoff at Wirg's bar, but I'm still not clear on when to declare movement (start of exchange or impulse) and when to declare actions (start of exchange or impluse). Obviously, most actions and movements are going to be multiple impulses and perhaps multiple exchanges or rounds. Do points (if it is a point based system) carry over and continue?
Remember, there are no dumb questions, only dumb players!
(Okay...first things first...)
Impulse 3 Movement
Zeton collects himself (and Nekshi) on the floor just "northeast" of the media terminal (i.e. right in front of where Dabid is on the map). Dabid has shifted out of the way but is right there.
Mon'Fargret (I gather, then) jumps up and moves quickly, covering the distance to Mey'Luskar with time to spare.
Ham charges. During this impulse he will only just make it out the door with enough distance covered to look around it (as in the door blocks you until the last fraction of a second).
Lirassa jumps up to follow Ham.
Impulse 3 Actions
Ham and Zeton are tied to go first (but I already know what Ham is going to do).
Ham sees Mira in a crouch-crawl just disappearing around the corner of the building (with a bit of smoke issuing from her clothing). You have time for an unaimed "snapshot". Roll it. [d20 subtracted from modified CBT of 11]
Zeton, are you going to take any action or forfeit this impulse (or this exchange)?
Now...to answer Seymour's comments/questions in brief...
Your description of the "advanced combat sequence" system is very accurate. What's really ironic is that it's actually the old system that you're talking about...and I've been using! I completely forgot that I revised the system...and only remembered when I looked in the Rule Book a few days ago! I have yet to play test the new system, but I don't intend to switch in the middle of combat. I'll continue with the old system for now.
(Really the only difference is how you roll to generate speed points. It no longer uses d20 against SPD but rather a combination of dice based on your SPD. That way there's a fairer average and a higher chance of all characters taking action.)
Now Kevin, when SPD points are generated, are they distributed evenly amoungst the impulses? Or do they form a kind of curve fatter at the end or the beginning of the Exchange?
In the system I'm using now I allocate the points one at a time starting from the back of the exchange. In other words, 5 points would be 1-1-1-1-1, 7 points would be 1-1-1-2-2, and so on. (The new system is more flexible. It doesn't divide the points but rather tells you whether or not you can take an action based on how many points you have left during a given impulse. It's not as detailed, but it does seem to speed things up a bit when I solitaire-tested it.)
And do actions cost SPD points? And what are the costs?
If you have at least -2 points at the beginning of the exchange, you get one free defensive action and one free change of movement status. From there on out almost everything costs points. Sustained action/movement is free. A "finger-flick" costs 1 pt. A simple hand action costs 2. Most actions cost 3. An involved action such as a grapple costs 5.
You have to have at least half the required number of points available during a given impulse to perform the action during that impulse. Any unused points carry over to the next impulse...up to a maximum total based on your SPD.
Each impulse includes a pre-movement phase (when you declare change of movement status or not), a movement phase (when the actual movement takes place), an action phase (no explanation necessary), and a post-movement phase (overlaps the next impulse's pre-movement phase...basically keeping track of movement resulting from an action, such as someone falling, etc., or a revision of movement during the impulse as required by the situation, if any, such as a collision, etc.), in that order.
Points do carry over from impulse to impulse, but not from exchange to exchange unless you specify that you are going to delay an action until a specific time.
I hope that helps a little...
I forgot to mention. If you change your movement status AND take an action during the same impulse (i.e. simultaneously), you only pay the full point cost of the more expensive one plus half the cheaper one (usually movement, since most of the time it only costs 2 points). The same rule applies if you take different actions with each arm.
Lirassa doesn't take any other action this impulse.
Mon'Fargret, you are now at Mey'Luskar's position. What are you going to do?
Zeton's action will be to assess the damage to his ankle. If it is bad enough to require a tourniquet he will take off his belt to make one. If the wound does not require a tourniquet, he will say, "First aid kit in satchel!"
[This may be too much to for one action so please space this out as need be.]
Mon'Fargret will assess her wounds and ask Mey'Luskar, "Where are you hit?"
Zeton and Mon'Fargret:
Okay, you are going to be using your medic skills (the logical thing under the circumstances). That will take you out of the action for the rest of the exchange if not the rest of the round.
Since the action will continue on this thread, I'll e-mail you both and let you know what's up.
Ham rolls a "5" so CBT points are 11-5= "6" [will be curious to see if I make a new hole ....after all the other team needs at least one more to make things "even"]
There's a strangely dull *splat* sound, an orangish spark flies from the lower fringe of Mira's vest, and the bullet falls impotently to the ground.
Impulse 4 Pre-Movement
Widjgleeby, you are currently standing in the kitchen facing where Mon'Fargret is tending to Mey'Luskar. Are you going to move?
Mira vanishes around the corner.
Ham, what are you going to do?
"She is shielded ...no surprise" I say to Lirassa quietly as I advance rapidly to the corner ..take a peek on the scanner quickly ..and..
Imp. 4 Movement
Ham charges toward the corner, Lirassa right behind him. As they get to the corner, (I assume) Ham hesitates long enough to look at his scanner.
Lirassa doesn't intend to, apparently. She starts to go around Ham. But then she apparently sees something...
While Ham is peeking at his scanner, Lirassa suddenly cries "LOOK OUT!" and body-slams him.
(Impulse 4 will be over as soon as I hear from Widjgleeby.)
[For a brief moment, everyone in the room wonders about Granite, and then combat continues.]
(damn, why did I ever leave!! Being out of the action means being out of action for weeks on the blog, and maybe even a month! [sigh] )
Since Widj is big and slow and has no energy or projectile weapons she will try to maintain cover while moving to and attempting to look out the kitchen door and or window.
Which corner did Mira go around?
When the game allows it I'm going to holler "People be in lift! is lift car up or down?"
Dewkid
That's about to change very soon.
Philippa
You can see out the kitchen window very well, and that awesome sniffer of yours has pinpointed Mira, as well. She just went around the "southwest" corner of the apartment and is now near the vicinity of the Farbett ladder.
In Impulse 4 you managed "People be in lift!"
Impulse 5 pre-movement
Lirassa has brought herself and Ham back away from the corner and down into a crouch.
Ham, are you going to change your movement status (i.e. get back up, pivot around the corner, etc.)?
I will stay in the crouch and trust Lirassa's eyeballs and combat instinct. The scanner is now going to give me a good read what is waiting for us around the corner. At the same time signing to Lirassa to give me view of what she saw as well. [Oh for a holy hand grenade... thou shall count three...and nothing more..]
Impulse 5 Movement
Ham and Lirassa stay where they are. So does Widjgleeby.
(Ham and Widjgleeby, in your differing ways you can perceive this, so...)
Mira vaults over the veranda rail and drops...taking her action as she does so.
(Ham, you can see on your scanner that she is holding her pistol. Widjgleeby, you can smell that it is activated.)
Impulse 5 Actions
As she goes over the rail, Mira takes an apparently wild shot at the apartment wall.
Those that are inside the flat hear an abrupt, odd noise. Then there are simultaneous blasts on the "south" wall near the kitchen partition, on the kitchen partition itself, from a couple of pieces of cookware...and from something else in the middle of the kitchen.
Mon'Fargret and Mey'Luskar smell the ozone. The shot was very close.
It was much closer to Widjgleeby, as her smoking belly attests. Her yell shows that it hurt like hell...but apparently all it really did was make her mad.
Your action, Widjgleeby.
Those that are going to participate in the action next exchange can go ahead and roll for speed points (SPD - d20).
(I forgot. Lirassa says, "Designator on your back," and nods toward the northwest.)
I rolled an "18" which gives me a "-9". I guess that means I'm going to stand in the kitchen and swear loudly. Can I smell anyone else I don't recognize in the vicinity?
Nekshi rolls a 6, 14-6=8.
For premovement, I will get off of Zeton. (Sorry about that, Zach).
[Let me know when M'F can react. First aid isn't worth much when dead. I hope Granite saves the day. I just do.]
Okay...Impulse 1 Movement
Nekshi gets off of Zeton.
Actions
(Nekshi doesn't really have enough speed points to do anything yet, so we'll move on.)
Impulse 2
Nekshi...movement status?
Philippa
You get a faint whiff of both fear and annoyance which you gather is probably coming from one of the upstairs flats.
[I picked a good time to go to Chicago ;) ]
Impulse 2
Nekshi...movement status?
Widj,is going to smolder a bit and when she can she is going to say "Who leads?"
Philippa -
With -9 speed points this exchange you're pretty much down for the count...at least till Nekshi and the few others taking action get through this exchange...
That blast really [expletive] hurt!!!
Does Zeton have his satchel with his medkit? If not, I'm am moving to fetch it. Otherwise, I'll stay where I am.
Zeton has already asked Dabid to bring him his satchel, and he's doing so right now.
(We're getting a bit of time displacement here. Info Geek has already started treating his wound in his own e-mail time frame...which hasn't happened yet on this thread. I need to try to catch people up.)
Are you going to drop out of action for this exchange?
I think Nekshi will move towards Widj and see if she's alright.
Okay. Assuming you're not moving at a full sprint (and also taking into account that you'll have to go around Mon'Fargret and Mey'Luskar), it'll probably take you the rest of the exchange to get there. Are you going to take any action once you get to Widj's position?
Yeah, Nekshi will apologize for getting Widj shot at hug her, being careful of the tummy burn.
Sorry, "and hug her." is what I meant. If she'll allow that.
(A barely five-foot-tall Zorlan hugging a seven-and-a-half-foot-tall Farbett...I for one would like to see that!)
Looking at the scanner ...Granite has penetrated the shield on the sniper..and inside its radius. I tell Lirassa we can now move on Mira because Granite can probably handle the melee combat, and the link is severed as support ... isolating Mira. Time to go hunting.
If anybody wonders what Granite Spear is doing, take a look at this. ;-)
(That's pretty cool! If only you could replace her forearms with elephant-trunk-like tentacles, it would be a pretty fair approximation!)
Coming into Impulse Five, the last of this exchange and this round (fanfare!)
Ham starts to try to tell Lirassa something, but she vaults over the rail, rolls across the eaves, and drops to the ground!
Everyone else except Granite Spear is tied up with whatever he or she is doing. Granite Spear's action is...well, you'll just have to wait and see.
I guess this round is more or less over for everyone except Granite Spear, so I'm going to go ahead and take care of a few end-of-the-round necessities. I know things are getting confusing with all these overlapping, parallel time frames, but let's back up to this one reference point (i.e. the end of round one). At this point Zeton is just fishing his first aid kit out of his satchel after receiving it from Dabid. Mon'Fargret is busily stitching Mey'Luskar's wounded arm with his mini-binder (and will be at it for at least another minute). Widjgleeby is feeling burnt and angry, and Nekshi is trying to hug her.
I need battle hardening checks, i.e. a WIL check to make sure nobody got shell-shocked. After modifications, I need the following rolls:
Zeton: 18 - d20
Ham: 17 - d20
Nekshi: 16 - d20
Widjgleeby: 12 - d20
Mon'Fargret: Don't need to roll.
Granite Spear: Don't need to roll.
Zeton rolls a five. 18-5=13.
Han rolls a "10" 17-10=7 ...+3 for a total of "10" if I am adding in the bonus correctly at this time.
You guys both shrug. All in a day's work...
Nekshi rolls a 1!
With that kind of positive energy, she's gonna shake her head clear and get on her comm and jam some enemy communications!
Sorry Widj. Hugs later!
That leaves just Widj's roll. We can still move on.
New round, Exchange 1.
Everyone planning on participating in the action needs to roll for speed points. (Zeton and Mon'Fargret are both still doing medical stuff and are therefore out.)
(QUESTION: Shall I continue using the old system, or shall I try play-testing the new system as it currently stands in the Rule Book?)
Zeton's Answer: My vote is to shift to the new system.
M'F rolls a few more stitches.
[The Spear is back! Long live the Spear!]
I am with Zeton on the voting, but not in a Biblical sense.
Alright, we'll check it out anyway. First of all, the way to roll for speed points is different. Instead of doing an attribute check less a d20 roll, you roll a flat rate based on your modified SPD (and which exchange it is).
Okay...
Ham, roll 1d6 + 1d3
Nekshi, roll 1d6 + 1d3
Widjgleeby, roll 1d6
4+3=7
12-7 = 5 and I rolled a 6 on my d6. What's a d3?
(d3 = 1 less than a d4.)
(Seriously, though...if you're using real dice instead of the dice roller program, roll a d6 and halve the result, rounding up.)
Nekshi rolls 1+2=3
Okay. Impulse 1
For her movement option, Lirassa breaks her fall.
Mira seems to be staying put.
Ham and Widjgleeby, are you going to change your movement status or take a "first action"? (i.e. during the first impulse, unless you have a whole schlock of speed points, it's either an action or a movement option, but not both. Not till later.)
Ah...Ham, I forgot to ask if you wanted to roll for your swift attack skill. (14 - d20)
[100!]
rolled a "14" 0 points. I will follow Lirassa and use my break fall skill as well.
Alright. That will account for two impulses.
I'll stay in the kitchen, watching for people trying to come in the back unless i'm asked to do otherwise.
Okay, I'm going to assume that, during the first impulse, Widjgleeby turns to face the back door. That'll count as a movement option.
Impulse Two
Lirassa moves from where she dropped to a new position. Ham is now rolling out of his drop.
Mira doesn't appear to be moving.
Widj, once again you have the choice of taking either a movement or an action...or waiting until the next impulse and doing both.
I'm going to get out my meat cleaver, if I haven't already.
Impulse Three
Lirassa smoothly draws her mini-pistol as Ham moves next to her.
"This one is mine," snarls Lirassa hoarsely.
Mira still hasn't moved from her position behind the tree, though she's obviously doing something.
Widjgleeby clutches her meat cleaver tightly, grimacing against the burn in her gut.
Mey'Luskar tenses and sucks a quick breath through her teeth as Mon'Fargret continues to work on her arm.
Zeton calmly sets to work on his ankle.
Dabid is glancing around anxiously.
Nekshi, you are up for either a movement or an action (or both if you wait till next impulse).
(Then I'll pause here to let Granite Spear catch up.)
Nekshi gracefully sets crosslegged on the floor and begins typing on her wrist comp.
(Okay, Nekshi, that'll occupy you for the rest of the round.)
(Now, as I said, I'll pause to let Granite Spear catch up. She's now one impulse behind.)
Impulse Four
Widjgleeby is the only one inside the flat who is able to take a movement or action. (I'm going to assume you are going to "wait and see".)
Lirassa is the only one outside the flat who is able to take a movement or action, but she defers.
Mira takes the initiative. She jumps out from behind the tree and, with a smooth, single motion, levels her pistol and fires.
Lirassa fires back almost simultaneously.
Those of you that are inside the flat hear that strange noise again. Then, as before, there are explosions on the (south) outer wall, the kitchen partition, and, in this case, the northeast corner next to the back door.
The shot seems to have missed, but it was awfully close. Both Mon'Fargret and Mey'Luskar wince as an impossibly thin "baffle halo" line appears in the air scant centimeters away, close enough to scald. A few scales on Widjgleeby's left leg and lower left arm curl from the heat.
Lirassa's shot hits square in the middle of Mira's chest. You can see the flash from the stun burst seem to bloom around her, briefly forming a web pattern of blue light that spreads around her vest in perfect, complex lines.
But it still seems to have penetrated, at least a little bit. Mira grunts and convulses slightly.
At about the same time, Nekshi's com signals an incoming call from Granite Spear.
Nekshi will answer Granite's comm call while continuing with her takeover of building security. (Having 3 huge brain lobes must help in the multi-tasking department.)
(Yes, multitasking, particularly in terms of doing multiple calculations at the same time. That and a photographic memory.)
(Okay, Granite Spear, you're in contact with the group now, so let's bring you back here for the time being.)
Are you going to do anything besides talk on the com during Impulse Four?
(Btw: I might point out that you saw the blast from that last shot as it exited the building.)
Kkkkkkkkscch
"Nekshi, one in custody. Are you okay?"
Kkkkkkkkscch
[Granite will try to drag the woman's body around the SUV for cover from the blast coming from the building.]
(Actually...the blast isn't that big...just a little squirt of fire like someone fired a shaped charge through the wall from inside, and it's not aimed at you. The building is also about 50-60 meters from your position. I'll still assume you're going to haul her around the vehicle.)
Impulse Five
Mira drops out of sight behind the tree again.
Nekshi, you have access.
Granite Spear, as you start to drag the woman around the vehicle she moans and starts to stir.
Widjgleeby, are you going to do anything with your speed points, or just sit tight?
If you guys need a reference, here is the layout of the apartment complex. Nekshi and Granite Spear's flat is in Tower 2 (lower right). The black square to the left of the "Trizdi Street" label is the rover your opponents came in. (The sniper was positioned to the left of it. Granite Spear basically circled around towers 3 and 4, came in next to garage 2, and ambushed her.)
Mira is currently behind the large, imported Foldorian tree directly below tower 2. Ham and Lirassa are right at the edge of the brushy area (semi-wild garden), also directly below tower 2.
To give you an idea of scale, the white square in the middle of each apartment tower is about ten meters on a side.
Enjoy!
Well, if nothing else is going on, you can start rolling speed points for the second exchange:
Granite Spear: 2d6
Ham: 2d6
Nekshi: 2d6
Widjgleeby: 1d6
(No, not all of these are the same as for the first exchange. For some SPDs it's different.)
LOL - that apartment complex looks a lot like Atari's Warlords game, especially the modern version.
I rolled 3+1 = 4. Ack, I hope I don't need too many of them!
2d6> 6+3= 9
I rolled a "4".
You saying that Mira's gun thing is setting off charges that were already placed in the wall?
6+2=8 for Nekshi.
So, how elaborate is the complex's security? You can send me the results via email if you want.
Dewkid
(Leave it to you to come up with an obscure video game reference!)
BTW, as I mentioned, the woman you're dragging behind the rover is coming around. Are you going to go berserk on her again?
Philippa
No, it just seems that way. You've heard of some types of energy weapon (e.g. a pinlaser or a blaster set on linear disrupt mode) that penetrate deeply into matter before inducing a reaction. Basically, the beam or burst cut a line through the apartment, and then, a fraction of a second later, every spot of solid matter it touched exploded.
Nekshi
I'll get back to you on that.
Impulse 1
Ham Sahladt rests his scanner on his thigh while drawing a bead on the tree. (That designator point really does look like a pretty, bright bead in the darkness!)
The scanner shows Mira rising to a crouching position behind the tree.
You can take an action or a movement option now, Nekshi (or wait an impulse and do both).
Lirassa, still holding the same position, says, "If she 'ports out we'd better clear everyone out fast!"
(Still awaiting Nekshi's action, but just in case...)Shall we go ahead and move to Impulse 2?
Your turn, Ham. Movement or action (or wait till next impulse and do both)?
Well, Nekshi will start checking the outside cameras and sensors, looking for ways to help Ham and Lirassa and/or Granite.
(yes that bead looks very very...pretty...and its on the tree rather than past it... no need to let someone know ahead of time) I will hold action depending on what our target of interest does. I will use swift attack if I can combine it with aim.
To Lirassa - "Nothing we can do about that. She is coming up in a crouch - stay frosty"
Are the gimps and medics still occupied? I would assume so. Rome wasn't built in an impulse you know.
Nekshi
You managed to come up with a relatively clear view of Granite Spear's position. Nothing whatsoever on Mira, though. The scanner unit on that corner seems to be on the blink.
Mon'Fargret
A medic/repair round lasts a minute (6 combat rounds). Both you and Zeton are about halfway through the medic attempt you already rolled (with things exploding around you). (Luckily that last shot missed, or we would have had to rethink that last medic roll. Awkward...)
Granite Spear
(I had to override your last comment. You need your hands free to work your talk box. Otherwise you can't "say" anything.)
Ham
And while you are saying that...
Hmmmm, Nekshi will try to access the 'watchbots' (if they actually exist.
She'll also throw Mon'Fargret a quick smile.
*Double Post Alert*
Nekshi will leave the feed of Granite running in a sub-screen, so she can keep a quick eye on her.
Can the cameras track, or are they fixed? I know, more details for you to take into account.
*Triple Post Alert*
Has Nekshi noticed any exterior lighting controls in the security array?
Kind of a long shot, but worth asking about.
Nekshi
According to the control interface you've accessed the watchbots have already been deployed. You're locked out (at least for the time being).
As far as you know, some of the cameras track, others are fixed. The visual scanning array that is viewing Granite Spear's position doesn't track but rather shows a panoramic view of the entire street as it passes the edge of the property (but you can focus and scroll the view).
You haven't noticed any exterior lighting controls in the security array yet...but you've never really had any reason to look before.
I'll answer your other questions as actions come up.
Ham, in your scanner you see Mira fiddling with her wrister.
Impulse Two
Your action (or movement), Ham.
Granite, you notice a change inside the SUV. There is some kind of mechanical motion going on in the back of it. You can also perceive that something is powering up.
Nekshi, the security monitor you're looking at has indicated the same thing: the SUV is powering up...a lot...but not from its drive powerplant.
[Humming ....."if I only had a big stick ... and something ..smoething ...beat into scrap"]I turn to Lirassa "She's attempting to 'port ... I go left ..you go right ...I'll harass for you. If we get the chance" (I'm not interested in eating a baffler blast straight up) I get up in a crouch to and hustle to the left
[Crap, mechanical motion? Powering up? I have no clue what is going on, or even what that suggests...]
[Can Granite tell if the woman is still armed? What happened to the gun I kicked away... can I see it?]
[Maybe Granite should step on her head a few times ....just to be sure ..that way she will stay unconcious as well as unarmed]
Granite Spear
[The gun you kicked away is still on the ground. It's not her only weapon, though. She also has a very fat-looking pistol with a long clip on it attached to her belt, not to mention alloy claw-knuckles on her gauntlets.]
[Oh, and perhaps I should clarify things a bit. By "mechanical movement" I mean you see what looks like objects being raised into position.]
Okay...It'll take a few impulses for Ham to say all of that and start his movement. In the meantime, both Granite Spear and Widjgleeby are up for actions. Are either of you going to do anything now?
Granite Spear will grab the pistol off the woman's belt and point it at her head.
Impulse Three
Ham starts hustling off to the left.
Lirassa says, "Right," and starts hustling off to the right.
Nekshi (as her action this impulse) gains access to the one watchbot that seems to be active. It's currently hovering over the outer hedge looking closely at the SUV. Something in the back of it appears to be glowing.
Ham's scanner starts beeping.
Impulse Four
Ham and Lirassa both complete their movement, popping out on opposite sides of the tree...to find no one there.
Granite Spear, you see what looks like bluish fire swirling around inside the back of the SUV.
Impulse Five
Lirassa says, "Oh, shit..."
The fire in the back of the SUV seems to shrink and coalesce into a human-looking silhouette.
(Widjgleeby, you're the only one with any speed points left this exchange. Are you going to do anything, or shall I move on?)
[Some kind of teleportation device. Nice. I'm going to be out-manned quickly here. I still want to grab that pistol and point it at her head, assuming I have points enough to do so. I did roll a 4, so I'm guessing I wont...]
On a hunch ....remembering they came in a van from previous scans... "Follow me... I think I know where she may be." I say to Lirassa ..and move at top speed around the building.
[Okay, I guess we're moving into the next round...]
Mon'Fargret and Zeton, I think you've been out of the action long enough. Since you were just sealing wounds with splicers, which doesn't take long, you can come in from now if you like. (But Zeton still has a dislocated ankle.)
I need speed points, guys!
Ham, roll 1d6 + 1d3
Nekshi, roll 1d6 + 1d3
Widjgleeby, roll 1d6
Mon'Fargret, roll 2d6
Zeton, roll 2d6
[Dewkid, deficit points are allowed up to a certain limit, as long as you have positive points to begin with when you start an action. You were able to follow through.]
[Eltigrez, wait your turn!]
Zeton rolls 3+2=5
[Sorry the Ibitonian Battle Mode is online *looks left....looks right*]
6+2=8
Nekshi: 4+1=5
M'F: 3 + 1 = 4
Widjy rolled a "2".
Okay. Ham goes first, so I'll assume he does what he said before. (He'll spend one impulse talking and then start moving during the second.)
Zeton and Nekshi can both take either an action or a movement option during the first impulse (or wait)
(Still waiting for Granite Spear's speed points. Oh, and Dewkid, now that you know someone is 'porting into the back of the SUV, are you going to go berserk?)
"Why have they stopped firing?" wonders Mey'Luskar.
going at a full sprint around the building shortest path to that van....pulling out the sword hilts as well as I go....
(For the record, it'll take you most of the round to get there.)
When you get started running, Lirassa says, "Ham, she's going to get her armor and assault weapons!"
Zeton's action is to say, "Nekshi, how can I help?"
Nekshi's action is to answer Zeton.
"I've got access to the building's security cameras. But I can't find the Besteeng woman."
M'F heads out to get a shot at that van using the trajectory of incoming shots as a guide to what route he takes.
Granite: 6 + 1 = 7
Yes, I think she's going berserk again...
(for the record, I still don't see where you asked for speed points from me. I thought I was done after grabbing the gun.)
Okay, Zeton and Nekshi, your dialog will pretty much use up the exchange (but I'll assume Zeton stands up and limps over to Nekshi's position). Nekshi, I'll give you one more action.
Mon'Fargret, you have enough speed points for two movement options (since that's all you're doing) during this exchange, so I'll assume you stand up during impulse two and head for the front door during impulse three. By the end of the exchange you'll be out on the veranda.
Mey'Luskar follows you as far as the door but stops there.
[Sorry about the oversight, Dewkid. That was stupid of me. Okay, with your natural combat abilities figured in, you now have 18 speed points to play with, meaning you can take two actions (or a movement and an action) right off the bat. What are you going to do?]
Are any of the Van doors visibly ajar?
To save time, I'll suggest two courses of action depending on the answer:
Door(s) visibly ajar/open:
Granite drops the semi-conscious woman (gun in hand) and charges the figure in the van.
Doors NOT open:
Granite drops the semi-conscious woman (gun in hand) and charges the figure in the van.
(Hey, I didn't say they would be DIFFERENT courses of action!)
The door is not ajar, but when you drop the semi-conscious woman and try it it opens readily as if it was set up to open under power when tripped.
It's now dark inside the vehicle, but you can see someone is standing in the back apparently fiddling with some gear. (If you want more info you'll have to use an action.)
Impulse Two
(Okay, some people have to rewind a second or two so we can sync watches again...)
- Ham and Lirassa are running and talking.
- Mon'Fargret is standing up, followed almost immediately by Mey'Luskar.
- Zeton and Nekshi are talking.
The figure in the back of the SUV hesitates when she realizes she has uninvited company.
Your turn, Granite Spear. In fact, you have enough points for a double action (or simultaneous move/action).
(I guess I should add for the record. When Granite Spear opens the door to the rover [more like one of those 4WD vans] she can sense that there are still servo motors running in the back and items locking into place.)
Granite sees a figure in the van, and she immediately tastes blood in her mouth. She will jump towards the figure, aiming for her torso. She will attack with one front claw and her beak.
[And the look on Mira's face ---*priceless* --- I would love to see that look ----I wonder if she has any phobias concerning primeval creatures or bugs?]
Roll for your attacks, Dewkid!
Beak: 2d4+1 + 0.5d6
-> Rolled 4,2, and 2 on the d6
-> (4+2)+1 + (1) = 8 total
Claw: 1d4 + 0.5d6
-> Rolled 4 and 3 on the d6
-> 4 + 2 = 6 total
(I meant roll to HIT!!!!)
Ha ha ha! Oh God, that was priceless!
I can just imagine Granite thinking about how much she's gonna tear into this poor Besteeng as she lunges forward.
Get her, Robin!
Ooops - you are right. I was thinking I already rolled to hit, but that was speed points I rolled before...
Okay,
Beak: rolled 18 (damn), so 14 - 18 is -4
Claw: rolled 8, so 14 - 8 is 6
Okay.
There is a lot of crashing as Granite Spear discovers the hard way that there is stuff between her and her target. Specifically, there seems to be apparatus set up in the back of the vehicle to quick-fit a suit of armor. The person in the back has apparently just started the process. The arms appear to be in place, but the halves of the cuirass (torso section) are still being moved into position.
In other words, Granite Spear has smacked right into the front half of the torso armor and the manipulator arm to which it is currently attached.
Impulse Three
[Ham and Lirassa are now at a full sprint and are coming into the central plaza of the apartment complex. The van is visible, but in the dim light of the streetlight not much detail can be discerned.]
[Zeton and Nekshi are still talking]
[Mon'Fargret is now at the front door. Mey'Luskar is right behind him.]
The woman in the back of the vehicle shouts something desperately in Brekka.
Your action, Granite Spear.
Is there not space to move *around* the equipment?
Well, you charged madly into a dark space (Your IR vision only showed her head clearly) and plowed right into the equipment. Moving around it will take a bit of care. (Remember: this is essentially an ensemble of racks with attached industrial robot arms set up to fit on a full suit of battle armor...all in the back of a van!) You'd probably have better luck bashing your way through (which is essentially what you just did...well, sort of at least...).
You body-slammed the rack/arm setup fitting on the front half of the torso. You didn't knock it over, but you did move it out of alignment...and apparently damaged it, too.
[Yes - I'm aware of Granite's belligerent behavior, but what can I say. She always been that way. I'll try to talk to her about it once the exchange is over.]
Granite, frustrated at the impeding equipment will begin pushing stuff aside as best she can to get to Mira.
(Considering she's in berserk mode, I'm not sure that "pushing" is quite the appropriate term!")
Mira's arms are inside the armor sleeves and gauntlets, which are still attached to their respective racks. In other words, she's pretty much pinned for the moment.
With a puff of air (from several orifices) and a smooth, fluid motion, Granite Spear tosses the
front torso mount aside as its servos whine in protest.
Nekshi, you're up for an action if you want it. Are you going to do something with your computer?
[Time for Mira to make a will and bod check I would say ..as in the crapping her pants movement has arrived. If she doesnt have a phobia ..she will have one soon.] Ham is still sprinting a straight line.
I think Nekshi will just what Granite's doing to the van on the security camera. I guess I better check and see if any alarms to the local constabulatory have gone out via building security. I wouldn't be surprised to see something's been tripped.
Nekshi focuses in on the vehicle, which appears to be rocking a bit. Since its windows are tinted, not a lot can be seen inside (at least in the current scan mode).
She also notices that an alert bulletin has indeed been sent to the Peace Forcers:
"Violent intrusion and disturbance, shots fired. Possibly still in progress. Request armed assistance."
"The peacers are coming," says Mey'Luskar, her voice scarcely above a whisper.
Impulse Four
Ham and Lirassa are just now entering the space between Tower 1 and Garage 1. (The van is about 40m away from their current position.)
Mon'Fargret is now out on the veranda but doesn't yet have a clear view. (Line of sight is blocked by the stairwell enclosure and Tower 1).
Mey'Luskar stopped at the door but is peering out.
Nekshi, and Widjgleeby are both up for an action or movement option if they choose to take it.
Granite Spear is also up for an action or movement. (For the record, she's still tangling with the armor mounts but could make a single reach attack with an arm at a penalty.)
For her action, Mira quickly yanks her right arm out of the armor sleeve, IR vision clearly showing a look of desperate hatred on her face.
Granite will continue moving machinery aside to put herself closer to Mira. (The way I've been rolling, I don't think a penalized attack would do much good.)
*KWAM!*
whzzzzzzzz...
*CRASH!*
whzzz..zzzz....z
*BAM!*
Mira is now within reach.
She appears to have reversed the armor fitting. The racks are all retracting now (or trying to, at least, as the case is now with a couple of them).
My mistake...Widjgleeby, since you didn't take an action last impulse you can take two now (or a movement and an action).
Lirassa says, "Come on, Ham! Faster!"
Zeton, you're up for an action now, too. Are you going to do anything?
Zeton will hobble, or crawl, or move however he can, to make his way back to his computer without aggravating his ankle.
[Okay. It'll take you a few impulses to get there.]
Shall we go ahead and roll on into Impulse Five and the end of the exchange?
Unless Widjgleeby does something, it's all pretty much continuation of what was already happening.
Ham and Lirassa are still running (Ham pushing himself just short of a desperate sprint, Lirassa pacing herself so as not to leave him behind).
[Ham, you do have a choice here, though. If you want to maintain your speed, you'll have to head between Garage 1 and the little garden plot toward the northeast gate. Passing directly through the garden toward the van will slow you down and put you in a speed point deficit for next exchange (maneuvering around shrubs). You can try circling around the garden toward the northwest gate without slowing down, but it'll still put you in a speed point deficit (for the turns made at high speed) and require a DEX roll to make sure you don't slip and fall down. Which course are you going to take?]
[Lirassa is circling around the garden.]
Mon'Fargret comes to a stop at the northwest corner of the veranda, using both the veranda rail and the stairwell enclosure for cover. He can clearly see Ham and Lirassa running around the central tower and can also just make out the SUV out on the street in the glow of the streetlights.
He can also see that there are a couple of brave (or just stupid) gawkers out on the verandas of Tower 5.
Nekshi notes a message on the security line. It's a response from the Peace Forcers: "Units currently on scene of separate incident, will be dispatched immediately. Please advise."
Zeton, you note on the update bulletin window on the media terminal that there has been some kind of emergency in the northeastern corner of Ekr'im.
Dabid mutters, "I should go. I should go..."
While we're waiting for Widjgleeby, everyone might as well roll speed points for the second exchange:
Granite Spear: 2d6 (We'll worry about your various modifiers after it's rolled.)
Zeton: 2d6
Ham: 2d6 (possibly with penalty depending on what you do right now)
Nekshi: 2d6
Widjgleeby: 1d6
Mon'Fargret: 2d6
(We'll worry about swift attack skill, etc., when the time comes.)
Nekshi: 5+2=7
Seperate incident, huh? Sounds like someone else got a visit from the 'Machine Gun Fairy'.
Granite: 4 + 2 = 6
M'F: 4+3 = 7
Muttering at Lirassa's comment "Im a grunt - not a professional sprinter"
[I prefer to do option C- I pull the matter conversion Tncuptin gun I found on some desolate world on a furry striped corpse- and use it to obliterate the garden, the front half of the van, and the building beyond - figuring hey - its not my neighbhorhood.]
*Snarf* and *Fnord* it - I will do the Ibitonian direct way - go thru the garden since I would be at speed point penalty anyway - and no DEX roll.
3+6=9
[the online rng seems to like me - Go Go Granite!]
Zeton rolls 4+3=7
And thus begins the Second Exchange of Round Three.
Ham slows as he enters the corner of the garden plot, carefully dodging the shrubs. Lirassa veers left to circle around it.
Granite Spear (surprise, surprise) goes first. [Dewkid, you have enough total speed points for four actions/movements during the first impulse. What are you going to do? Your opponent has freed herself from the armor, and you can see that she has multiple weapons within reach.]
Widjegleebe thinks we should get the *(&&#*%&#^%&(*#@ out of this apartment building and get on the ground, or better yet, under it! She almost headed for the ladder last round but if Zeton can't walk she's the best choice to get him out of there! She does not want to be in this brick-faced fish tank if law enforcement shows up!
She is also wondering if whatever this thing Mey'Luskar knows or has is worth getting anymore of her scales blown off.
I rolled a "3".
Yay, comment #200!!!
Granite will move forward, and make a beak attack, followed by two claw attacks against Mira. I assume you'll need rolls right away, so here they are:
Beak: 14 - 2 = 12
Claw: 14 - 13 = 1
Claw: 14 - 17 = -3
Post a Comment