(Massive Gamemaster Override...)
Mey'Luskar starts to leave but stops with a muffled yelp of surprise.
"Don't bother," says Bina darkly from the doorway. "I'm alright."
Her voice sounds a bit slurred.
Nekshi and Granite Spear both react with surprise.
"Where is your circlemate?" asks Nekshi, thoughtfully scratching a lobe. "In fact, where is your priest brooch? On that topic, I might also inquire as to what happened to your clothes!" She wrinkles her nose with disapproval. "Such unseemly, off-the-street Yangae attire would be expected on a self-made miscreant such as Mey'Luskar, but on a trained member of the Hergoth Priesthood...most odd!"
"They don't know," says Mey'Luskar apologetically.
"Why would they?" replies Bina. "They don't know any of it!"
"They probably won't believe any of it," adds Mey'Luskar, trying to inject a tiny not of humor. "I only know half of it, and it's still hard for me!"
Bina gives Nekshi and Granite Spear a forlorn look. "Not long after you two ran off, we got a call from Par'deth the Hero. He said he'd found and caught the ones that caused the...event. The ones that tried to abduct Par'ai." She draws a deep breath. "It was a worldly thing, so the Circle couldn't intervene. Kiel'i and I were...asked...to take the group there so they could help. We used the Gate. They were in an underground room. There were two of them. One was...um..."
"Dusker," puts in Mey'Luskar. "My EX-lodger. Just as I'd suspected all along."
Bina's face looks impassive, but she lets off a small reverse-empathic pulse. It contains both surprise and resentment. "They were under the influence of the Enemy," she goes on.
"Dusker isn't anymore," says Mon'Fargret, looking at Mey'Luskar.
"No," agrees Bina darkly, "he's not."
"He actually helped me," adds Zeton eagerly. "I was trying to upload all the data in their computer to a secure place. It was rigged. If Dusker hadn't given me the password...who knows what would've happened?"
"Were you successful in uploading the data?" asks Nekshi.
Zeton gives Mon'Fargret a wry look. "Just made it," he replies. "That's when the Peace Forcers showed up and said we were all under arrest."
"Not just any Peace Forcers," adds Bina bitterly. "It was Superintendent Br'am, chief of the Ekr'in District force."
Nekshi raises an eyebrow.
"I don't think I heard about this," observes Mey'Luskar. "Why would they arrest you when you had priestesses with you?"
"They...stunned Kiel'i...for no reason," says Bina, and she appears to swoon.
Mey'Luskar throws a confused look at Mon'Fargret.
"It was all wrong," says Mon'Fargret. "They were Hergoth, but...not. They even had Yangae militia backing them up. Night Guard."
Mey'Luskar looks like she's about to swoon, too. "I...I thought they came to fight the Peace Forcers..." She plops herself onto one of the couches.
Mon'Fargret gestures negative. "Not at first. The thing was, some of them were being controlled, and some weren't."
"Br'am and his partners were being controlled, too," moans Bina in a thin voice. Mey'Luskar tries to say something, but Bina cuts her off. "Yes, Hergoth are immune to the Rune. At least I think they are. I was told they were. I can't explain it." She sighs and slumps against the door frame. "I can't explain any of it..."
"Stay with me," says Mey'Luskar encouragingly.
"So Hergoth officials can be corrupted!" says Nekshi. "Interesting!" She switches on her wrister and starts tapping at it. "It is just as I suspected! So anyway, how did you manage your daring escape? Did Par'deth have to lay waste to the whole area, or was collateral damage kept to a reasonable minimum?"
"Par'deth was no help at all at first," replies Mon'Fargret with some disappointment.
"Don't be unfair!" protests Bina with sudden vehemence. "Br'am turned his Hero Oaths against him!"
Nekshi makes another cry of interest and starts tapping at her wrister again. "I'll quote you on that. It's all in the name of public knowledge. And national security. Hero Oaths...can be turned..."
"Betham was probably the real hero there," suggests Zeton.
"Yeah, but not just him," retorts Mon'Fargret. "Some of the Night Guard were really on our branch. Betham showed up and put the light on Br'am's ploy. Then Br'am and his team were given the axe from the top. That freed Par'deth."
"And Dauk and his friends helped you?" asks Mey'Luskar.
"Right," says Mon'Fargret. "It was Yangae against Yangae, Hergoth against Hergoth."
Granite Spear shudders with an unreadable emotion.
"It was us against It," corrects Bina. "And It came."
"I still don't really understand what happened," admits Mon'Fargret. "They tried to show a holo-image of something, I'm guessing the Rune, to control us. Dusker warned us just in time. We stopped it, but then it was like it was possessing different people...like it was moving from body to body among the controlled ones till it got to one it liked. Then..."
"I guess that's when Per'anai brought me there," says Mey'Luskar, recalling the memory with dread.
"Yes," says Bina. "It concentrated its power in one host. It was stronger, more dangerous, but it could also be defeated." She gives Mey'Luskar a very intent look.
Mey'Luskar blushes. "I told it to sod off..."
Zeton raises an eyebrow and grins. "And it did!" He chuckles. "The great Hero and all those priestesses couldn't quite beat it, but one Yangae curse..."
"She say sod off," adds Widjgleeby, "and it sod off good!" She grins, showing her fangs.
"Yeah," agrees Mon'Fargret. "It just went away. All the controlled ones were free."
"So is it gone?" asks Granite Spear.
All eyes turn to Bina, who hesitates before gesturing negative dejectedly.
Mey'Luskar clasps herself and shudders. "Something tells me we kicked it out, but it's still there, just outside, waiting for a chance to come back in. Its doorway is somewhere here in Mul'ein. And now it's angry."
An ominous silence falls over the room.
Then Granite Spear taps away at her talk box, and it says, "
33 comments:
(Well that saved me some fact-checking. Thank you. Sadly, Convolution 2010 continues as I try to untangle the financial mess that is a hospital visit and a bank that appears to have lost money into an electronic hole.)
"Why don't we start by gathering our available resources. Betham wants us to pretend nothing is happening. Dusker is going to settle some scores of some variety that could lead us somewhere. Par'deth said he wouldn't be far...whatever THAT means. There is the now dead Zofan and the woman that got away. We also have this whole Andelfin corporation and the Lady who runs it to consider," recalls Mon'Fargret.
"Zeton, is there some other data way may glean from that which you uploaded at the club? I can try to reach Dusker as well. Perhaps someone can get us some more information about Andelfin so we can approach the situation more intelligently. Any other ideas?" he asks.
Nekshi looks up from her 'wrister'.
"It might be important to discover why such a powerful entity was dismissed so easily by our friend Mey."
She stands up from the couchlett and approaches the Folorian female looking her over with scientific interest.
Mon'Fargret fiddles with his wrister using the code Dusker gave him. He sends an encrypted simple message..."Any news? Betham wasn't happy, but he calmed down."
"Oh, stop it!" snaps Mey'Luskar. "Look, I don't know what's it's all about, so just lay off!"
Nekshi continues undeterred. "You have to realize that this phenomenon is significant and should be researched."
"Yet if you are uncomfortable with this line of investigation I will not pursue the matter. Coercion should not be one of our strategies, there's enough of that on the other side."
She turns to Zeton, "I believe someone mentioned captured computer data?"
Suddenly an alarm sounds and a calm, feminine voice says in Yangae, "Intruder alert! Unauthorized entry at rear gate!"
Just as everyone starts to erupt into a frenzy, Bina says calmly, "It's only Ham."
Mon'Fargret calls for a holo-display, and one appears in front of him. A quick glance is followed by a sigh. Bina is correct.
"Don't people on whatever planet he's from know about ringers?" wonders Mey'Luskar with a huff.
"I'm sure there must be some useful information we gathered from the club, but knowing what to look for will be the difficult bit. I imagine there will be information hidden withing the information, either encrypted or disguised as something else, so it will take time to sort that out."
As Zeton glances at the holo-display he notices Ham carrying what looks like an equipment bag.
"Ah, so that's where Ham went..., to collect his gear. Granite asked, 'what next?', well, before I go much further, I'll need to collect my gear as well. I also should notify my editors that the current story I'm working on won't be submitted on time. It will hopefully make my life easier in the long run."
Zeton finishes off his food and the last bit of his tea and begins to collect his dishes to put in the kitchen.
"Let me do that," says Bina, quickly moving to gather up Zeton's dishes.
"Bina, thank you, but please, let me take care of these dishes. Of all the people in our little group that need to be served, it is you, not I."
Zeton pauses long enough to ensure Bina understands he means no disrespect and that he's trying to be as compassionate as he can in regards to her recent loss.
"We also can't forget Adulie. I'm not sure what affected Bina after we arrived, but I'm sure it wasn't good, even if we are not in immediate danger. After Ham stows his gear, I'll ask him to accompany me to collect my equipment. He can scan my flat to determine if there are any unwanted tracking devices."
With that, Zeton quickly rinses his dishes and stages them next to the sink while waiting for Ham.
While this is going on, Mon'Fargret is alerted to something on his wrister.
Mon'Fargret says,"Oh..."
(then awaits what this activity is)
(Check your e-mail)
The he mumbles into his wrister a second time with just a few words.
"What is it?" asks Mey'Luskar.
"He got a message," says Bina.
"Is it important?" asks Mey'Luskar eagerly.
Bina gives her a strange look but says in a compassionate tone, "Maybe you should leave it to him."
Mey'Luskar glances at Nekshi suspiciously and then moves to the Hergoth. "Are you sure you're all right?"
Bina manages a shallow grin. "What She is," she replies softly.
"Dusker seems occupied. However, I got a little out of him. He said, 'The Red Comeback is the new rich kid in town.' I am not clear to what he is referring to, but he was definitely engaged with some activity. Ideas?"
Nekshi waits until Ham enters the flat and addresses all concerned.
"I think it's time we all acknowledge the danger we are in and decide how we are going to combat it or at least how we are going to survive it. The Enemy now knows of our resistance as well as our identities. That makes this house a rather dubious choice as a command center. The fact that Ham was able to retrieve his equipment and return unscathed leads me to believe that we may have a few hours of grace before we are once again targeted. I suggest we use this time as constructively as possible. If you have personal equipment or keepsakes you cannot live without, I suggest you get them; now. I also suggest no one goes without an armed and experienced escort. As an extra precaution, I suggest we immediately convert as much of our liquid assets to portable currency before our accounts are frozen. That's assuming they haven't already been frozen. I also caution against the use of wristers as a communication device. I will try to procure secure communication devices immediately. Use your wristers only in an emergency."
She looks around the room. "Alright, what else?"
Mey'Luskar eyes Nekshi dubiously and then turns to Mon'Fargret. "What was that message again? Did you say 'red comeback'?"
"Nekshi is right. It won't be safe here much longer. Things are already happening with Dusker and remember how fast our situation degraded over just two cycles. To answer your question, Mey, the answer is yes, I did say red comeback. Does that mean something to you?"
"I know Dusker," replies Mey'Luskar. "He likes to play level games. You know what I mean? He'll talk about something, and he'll use lower-level words that mean the same thing. Or higher level. It's kind of funny!"
Nekshi looks at Mey.
"Are you talking about societal games based upon cultural levels or purely hypothetical games with levels as a reward system for time played?"
She turns to Mon'Fargret, "Just how much do you know about this Dusker? It seems a rather dangerous game he is playing. You've pointed out that Hergoth warriors have been swayed by the Atlanti, what chance does a Foldorian have? No offense meant, of course."
Mey'Luskar huffs with irritation. "With a head like that, surely you know about the Yangae caste system!" She glances around at the others. "Do you think 'barks' talk the same way as 'cranks'? Do you think they use common words for things? I mean, do you think people of class would buy a Verdant Sky-Bearer like mine if they called it a 'Green Hoverbike'?"
Mon'Fargret replies to Nekshi, "I neither know nor trust Dusker, but we currently have a common goal at the moment, so he is a resource."
He continues with Mey, "I understand now. Pardon my lack of sleep that I didn't get it. The Scarlet Revival...so that is where he probably is. It stands to reason, I suppose, that the head vulture is at the center of this kehlsin. I doubt whipping up to the front door in a hovercar is a good idea, so I would like to finish gathering our resources before coming up with an 'entrance strategy.'"
He continues, "Zeton, is there anything of note on your end of the information trail?"
Mey'Luskar hums thoughtfully. "The Scarlet Revival. Yeah, that fits it! But we know the old club wasn't...but the big guy used that name for his whole movement, not just...what else did the message say? Something like 'new rich kid in town'? Maybe he relocated or something. New rich kid...hmmm..."
"Are you telling them everything you know about this?" asks Bina.
Mey'Luskar hesitates, giving the Hergoth an unreadable look. Then she says, "Everything that's worth saying."
"After uploading the information to Lirassa's ship I haven't had the time to examine any of the information we've collected. I'd also want to do so very carefully. I wouldn't want anyone to snoop in on what we found. I can try to analyze the info with a few software applications, but I'm guessing the good stuff will be found only by examining it manually."
"Ham, I know you just returned, but when you are ready, I would greatly like an escort while I collect my gear. Your scanner skills can help determine if my equipment has been tampered with once I have it."
"Or.... Nekshi, should we all go as a group? I really don't have any desire to caught short handed and your recommendations seem very sound. What do you think?"
M'F addresses Mey, "So are you thinking Düa or Sa'Barj then? That would be one way to take Hergoths and non-Foldorians out of the picture."
Then to Zeton, "Perhaps you can turn your skill towards current police activity or what is happening over the net. As a passive observer, we might attract less attention."
Mey'Luskar gives Mon'Fargret a quizzical look. "Oh, not Daua !" she says almost tauntingly, emphasizing the Yangae pronunciation of the district. "It's crawling with Hergoth...and Hertressk. The Scarlet Order doesn't go there except maybe to rally at the university..or write anti-Herg graffiti." She giggles. "But the Revival...maybe only if..."
She stops herself before saying another word and gives Bina an embarrassed look.
"Maybe only if they were out to bribe or blackmail someone," offers Bina. "Or do away with them."
Mey'Luskar looks like she's searching for something to say in return and coming up empty.
Then, perhaps mercifully, there is a melodic ringing. A call is coming in on Mon'Fargret's home terminal.
"Well, this is something," Mon'Fargret says as he approaches the terminal quickly checking to see if the ID is recognizable.
The call isn't coming from anyone in Mon'Fargret's existing database, but there is an advance text greeting in Yangae.
It reads, "This is Uskua at Wirg's. Are yu there?"
Even though she hasn't seen the display, Bina says, "I think you should answer this." Then she eyes Mey'Luskar intently, almost challengingly.
Mey'Luskar hesitates and then says, "The Revival isn't a criminal group!"
Bina only stares in return.
"Well, it wasn't," adds Mey'Luskar more defensively. She glances around at the others. "Look, all we wanted was..." She stamps her foot. "Sod it! It wasn't supposed to end up like this!"
"Oh no?" counters Bina calmly. "Just because we don't want something doesn't mean it isn't in the flow. Look at both of us!"
Mey'Luskar gestures understanding with reluctance. Then she steps forward and takes the disgraced priestess's hands.
Mon'Fargret takes the call crowding the screen to hide who is behind him (assuming it is a screen), "Hello Uskua. Pardon my appearance, I haven't slept much since I saw you last."
(If there is no video, leave out the seeing part)
(It is possible to switch the video off.)
I'll continue on a new post.
Post a Comment