After the "incident" on the stairs, the party (sans Nekshi and Granite Spear)(and Widjgleeby, who's still waiting in the lobby) return to their rooms to get their things together. Those that turned their clothes over to the acolytes find everything cleaned, pressed, folded, and left on the appropriate beds. All of the male members plus Pru are in the hall ready to go in a flash. Lirassa and Mey'Luskar, however, are not.
As Dabid, Ham, Mon'Fargret, Pru, and Zeton wait in the hall with more than a little pacing and tapping of extremities, Gaima says, "Actually...it might not be necessary for all of you to go. We really only need you to confirm something. It...might be inconvenient to send so many."
Lirassa emerges as the priestess is talking, and she immediately replies, "I agree. I think Mey'Luskar should stay here."
"She's probably right," adds Mey'Luskar herself from behind the Besteeng. "I'll go with you as far as the gate, but I'll stay with the priestesses till you come back."
Gaima clearly approves, and she immediately beckons the others to go with her downstairs (this time using the elevator) where they collect Widjgleeby. Soon everyone is outside. Almost immediately, four acolytes appear as if from nowhere and accompany the group as it goes. It isn't long before they are walking up the gentle slope toward the crown of the mountain where the Temple sits. The wind has picked up a little, bringing a slight edge to the otherwise warm, late spring day.
The crowds have visibly thinned. Although there's still some activity in the direction of the Resort building and museum, the vicinity of the Temple itself is vacant, and there are only very few people walking around elsewhere in the precints.
It makes it that much easier to pick out Nekshi, Granite Spear, and Kuluf, who are on the other side of the hill heading toward the various priest quarters.
"What do you suppose they're doing?" wonders Mey'Luskar aloud.
"Hopefully not getting into trouble," replies Lirassa.
"They're on a different path for now," says Gaima. She gestures toward the Temple. "Come!"
Saturday, March 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
52 comments:
Mon'Fargret looks puzzled, "It was my impression that we needed Mey'Luskar on this trip to identify the people Par'ai said were found."
"Now, all of a sudden she isn't going. Maybe I got lost in the commotion, but where exactly are we going and why?"
"Well, to be honest, I'm not sure where we are going, but I believe we are helping to identify the people responsible for trying to abduct Par'ai. By keeping Mey out of sight, it might help keep her whereabouts hidden a bit longer."
"Now, I have a question for you. Who was that woman you were talking to and what did she want? She certainly didn't seem like an acolyte to me."
Gamemaster override engaged
Seymour said...
Nekshi is impressed as usual as she walks across the temple grounds. She can identify some of the tricks of architecture which enhance this feeling, but there is something else...a presence which cradles the lower part of her mind.
She turns to Granite. "Granite, do you detect a change of emotion or cognition when walking through these gardens? I'm wondering if this is a focal effect on PSY based on the layout of this place, or if perhaps there is actual spiritual energy at work."
She toys with her comm unit uselessly. "Scrut! I wish I had a real sensor suite instead of this mush, I bet I could isolate the harmonics involved or at least get some decent transients to feed into a simulator."
She looks at Kuluf. "Does this place feel different to you? Or am just going crazy?"
Kuluf makes a thoughtful humming sound and then replies, "Different from what? Erweina feels like Erweina, so I guess then the answer is 'no'." He turns his bulbous eyes toward Nekshi, particularly her fiddling with the com unit, and asks, "Are you hoping to communicate with the sentinel with that?"
"Thank you for your candor, Zeton. I am not inclined to go anywhere without a clear objective considering the fact that we all seem to have bullseyes painted on us. See, Mey knows these people and we don't, so to me it negates the purpose of the trip for us to identify people we don't know. As they might say in Artists' Square, 'What's my motivation here?' Can you help me here, Gaima?"
Not waiting for Giama to reply Zeton answers, "Well, it looks like we are headed toward the temple, which makes sense. If I wanted to keep someone secure and safe, the temple would be where I would put them. As for only Mey knowing them, I think we, or some of us, may have encountered them before. It is most curious."
Zeton pauses to watch his footing to ensure he doesn't trip and then continues, "But you were about to tell us who you were talking to earlier. She seems to have a stellar personality. Is she as friendly as she appears?"
Mey'Luskar moves closer to Mon'Fargret and says, "It's alright. They changed their plans because now they know better. Trust them. I know they...what is it?"
Mon'Fargret raises his arms like there are six people talking to him instead of two.
"Okay, let's take this in order..."
"First, Zeton...your observations are accurate about this old acquaintance. Luckily, she is 'on board' with us."
"Second, Mey...I am not distrustful, I am confused."
"And third, Gaima, I don't expect a full debriefing and I respect that you can't divulge everything to us. I just want to know enough for this trip to be successful for us and you. What can you tell us?"
"It is as was said before," replies Gaima a little uncomfortably. A small group of sightseers approaches from directly ahead, coming downhill from the Temple, so she continues in a lower voice. "The person or persons working that teleporter have been found and...apprehended. We have a pretty good idea who they are, but we'd still like to double-check."
"I think I know who it is, too," says Mey'Luskar softly, "and I do NOT want to see them right now!"
Nekshi looks puzzled, "Who or what is the 'sentinel', is that the entity who sent those dreams?"
Mon'Fargret turns to Mey and says, "So, who are they? If their names ring a bell with someone here, we would be happy to go identify them. If nobody know them, what is the point?"
On the path leading up to the Temple
Mey'Luskar sighs and moves a few centimeters closer.
"You met him," she says. "It's my ex-lodger."
On the circle road leading around the Temple
Kuluf says, "Probably. It has been here a long, long time."
MonForgret nods affirmatively, "Okay, I'm in. That wasn't so hard was it? If you need help, my Lady, you know where to find me."
With that, he turns to Zeton and says, "I apologize for the delay. Now that I've received some clarification, I am ready to move on."
Zeton sighs quietly to himself. "I wondered if it might be him..." Zeton listens to the sound of the groups feet on the ground for a bit and then asks, "Mey, what is your ex-lodgers name?"
"Everyone calls him 'Dusker'," butts in Pru with a chuckle and a smirk. "I think his real name is something like Dun'Mesker. He's a different sort." Then her eyes widen. "Sorry, lady!"
"For what?" retorts Mey'Luskar, looking away.
Apparently satisfied, Pru goes on, "You know, I always wondered about him. He was always hanging out with us middies, and he stood on the level, but he never showed his caste mark. Never talked much, either, and when he did he...I don't know!" She wrinkles her nose. "He talked funny! Lots of messy fricatives and stuff like he was a Noble or something!"
"He IS a Noble!" spits Mey'Luskar, her gaze still turned away.
Pru stops dead in her tracks. "Woah!" She waves her arms. "Woah, woah! Hang on! Hang on!" She shakes her head as if to clear it. "Okay...so let's see...my old pal Meskar here is really a Manager, right? And she's half Herg...goth, right?" Her voice crescendos. "And Dusker is really a Noble, right? And I just spent the night on top of the sodding Witch Mountain, right? And I'm not only still here, but I'm following a trio of witches into their Temple...of my own free will, right?"
"That pretty much covers it," replies Lirassa.
"Thank you," says Pru, and she strides purposefully forward.
Zeton's brow wrinkles as the next thought crosses his mind, "So... once we make the positive identification of Dusker, then what? You really can't turn him over to the authorities or just release him... can you?"
"Don't forget that Par'ai is also a detective with the Peace Force," replies Gaima. "I'm sure she has already sent her report to their central command here in the city. If all goes well, authorities will be on the scene soon, if they're not there already."
"I have a bad feeling about this," mutters Bina suddenly, drawing stern glances from her two higher-ranked companions. Then she adds, "Maybe it's just something in the air."
"No, I feel it too," says Mey'Luskar. "But somehow I also know we have to do this."
Nekshi says, "Well, when you meet It, you'll have lots to talk about. I however will be rendered stupid and docile thanks to a mental glyph programmed in my genetic code thousands of years ago."
She sniffs petulantly, "Perhaps there's some kind of helmet I can wear to block the effects."
Kuluf gives Nekshi what is probably a look of puzzlement.
"Why would the sentinel use an Elder Rune on you?" he asks. "I thought the Guardians put the sentinel here to help protect against the ancient masters!" He makes a weird, throaty sound and then adds, "One of us seems to be very confused. Did I misunderstand my instruction? I guess it wouldn't be the first time. But the last time was a long, long time ago. I think it was while Kal'Yangae was still...wait!"
He leaps around in front of Nekshi and stops (causing Granite Spear to tense up).
"You said something about a helmet to block its effects," he says. "Am I right? Do you mean the Elder Rune? You don't need a helmet to block that! The Mark of the Elders is in your animal brain! Suppress that and they can't touch you! It's the same for all the human races uplifted by the ancient masters! I'm sorry, I thought everyone knew that! Then again..." He turns around and starts walking again muttering something about Kal'Yangae and unaware races not listening to what they're told.
He has been quiet all this time, but inside still fuming with a large spike of anger at the capability of being used as an automaton. That strikes all the way to the core of being Ibitonian.
Yes ...lets find out who is behind this.
Nekshi looks at Kuluf with surprise. "Are you saying there is a Cardian Relic somewhere on Lyranell, capable of neutralizing this 'Slave of the Ancient Race' I'm so worried about? And it's called 'The Sentinel'. And that it's possible to defend myself against this 'Elder Rune' without resorting to invasive surgery or expessive neural suppresion helmets?"
She checks her wrist comm to see if any of the local bait shops make deliveries to the Temple, because someone is getting a thank you present.
"A bad feeling? Well, the last time we saw Dusker he fired a baffler pistol at our feet and then teleported out, so I must admit I'm not looking forward to this either."
Zeton pauses to gauge the air to see if he can sense the same bad feelings Bina and Mey are sensing. After a moment he continues, "I've been wondering what my impression of him would have been like if I'd meet him when he wasn't affected by the rune..."
Whoops, "expensive" helmets not espessive.
On the way to the Priests' Quarters
"'Cardian' is the common name used for the Guardians in this spiral arm," replies Kuluf, "but did you know it's a Sarkon invention? I don't think they understood, either. Why else would they build a monastery on top of the sentinel and worship it? Primitives!"
He makes a quivering sound like a broken accordion before continuing.
"I mean, at least this new temple here is used a bit more properly! The Hergoth may be a bit too optimistic, but they do understand the bigger pond!"
He looks at Nekshi again. "Wait, did you say 'somewhere on Lyranell'? The 'Cardian relic'?"
He utters the fluttering discord again.
"My friend, look down!"
Almost to the Temple
(Zeton doesn't feel anything concrete, but there is a subtle, lingering sense of dread he can't quite pin down.)
"Dusker was a good guy," says Pru. "A different sort, but a good guy. He idolized Kal'Yangae, but he wasn't one for fighting. His thing was trying to bring Civilization by being cool to people. You know? 'Make 'em understand, and they'll come around.' Maybe a bit more Foldorian that way. He could be a bit of a parve, but he kept his honor on his bark. A lot of the Order thought he was off his spark, but we all respected him. That's why it was so weird when he suddenly went full scarlet!"
"He was a good man," says Mey'Luskar with obvious regret.
Nekshi claps her hands together. "Of course! That would explain how the Temple survived through to the present day, the sentinel has defenses, it is active."
She looks at Kuluf with approval. "You have turned into quite the repository of information. Tell me something else if you can, are the Hergoth aware of what actually exists within the mountain?"
"I assumed this was all common knowledge!" says Kuluf dismissively. "I mean, after all, there are so few of those tech-priests now, even on GĂ´theia. Why would one be in a minor city on a minor colony world? Not only have the Hergoth known about it for a very long time, but they can also communicate with it! I don't know to what extent, mind you, but it's more than I've managed in any of the times I've been here! I mean, even today I saw the avatar just before the defenses came on, but it disappeared before I could get a word in edgewise! It never seems to be interested in talking to me no matter what approach I try! I've always wondered about that, but it's probably a good thing the Hergoth are able to speak to it. Otherwise..."
Nekshi shakes her head, "I can assure you this is not common knowledge. In fact it is possible the Priests would like to keep the sentinel's existence a secret, probably out of safety concerns."
"Hmmmm, this might also account for the Emperor's actions concerning this place. It is always good policy to treat powerful relics with care and respect."
She continues, "I can imagine the Priest's dilemma in this matter. While the sentinel is a useful deterrent to demons, it is also possible it may one day fully awake and take matters into its own 'hands'. This may present a danger to the local population. I wonder if our participation in recent events have acerbated the situation."
"Yes!" replies Kuluf enthusiastically. "You do understand! You are absolutely right in every count! Despite your odd behavior at times, your powers of deduction are indeed..."
His speech comes to an abrupt stop, as does his forward motion. Then he draws an impossibly deep breath, his body inflating like a balloon and then shrinking again when he releases it all in a monumental huff.
"It's happening again!" he says ominously. "Even after my mistake, after my penance, all that work to set things right again, my mouth is still getting me into trouble! And in the same place for the same reasons, too! I'm only Wanderlust, not Aid, and certainly not Intervention! I can't let this happen! Not like before!"
He jumps, sailing over Nekshi and Granite Spear like a rocket, and he lands on all fours with a messy flop facing them. As he does, there's something odd about his appearance; he seems to shimmer for an instant, particularly his eyes.
Nekshi and Granite Spear aren't entirely sure why, but they come to a stop looking rather puzzled.
"This much I can justify," continues Kuluf through his translator, his actual spoken voice a chilling rasp. "Now I am Wanderlust, and my reasons are my own, but the last time I came here I was Vision. The power here was stirring, as it is now, and I was sent to find out why."
A small group of Mozai (an Ergothei protectorate race, vaguely canine-looking) tourists happens by, chattering among themselves. Kuluf turns and makes a frightful display at them, sending them skittering off in a panic.
"Anyway," says Kuluf, "I came across another here who, though a humanoid and a mortal, was also Vision. He wanted to learn the secrets of the Hergoth. He was especially curious as to whether this place was a repository of their ancient technology. It seemed perfectly logical, so naturally I explained the truth. He was quite fascinated by it all, but it turned out his Vision was one of Betrayal. The way he twisted the knowledge I gave him...and wound up falling into its trap...it led to the suffering of billions! And all because I was a wrongful Intervention! My penance was to right the wrong." He shudders. "My solution was ironic, but it was hard. I do NOT want to go through it again!"
Nekshi holds out her hands in placation, "Alright, alright. No more questions. Your quest seems admirable, let us help you."
Kuluf suddenly looks less demonic and more puzzled. "Help me? Do what? I thought you were looking for a hyperwave transmitter. I am curious as to what you're planning to transmit and why. Say, maybe you could help me by explaining that! It could put my mind at ease!"
Zeton directs his next question at Bina, but wonders if Mon'Fargret might know the answer as well, "So, is there any way to help Dusker? Is there a cure that can be administered to break the hold or block the control exerted on him? For that matter, is there a way to help all the other people that have been exposed?"
"I wish I knew," replies Bina. She glances at Keil'i.
"I don't know if 'hold' is the right word," chimes in Keil'i. "We didn't sense any kind of alien presence in the poisoned ones we touched last night."
"Their minds just didn't seem right," adds Bina.
"The enemy isn't powerful enough to control them all," says Gaima. "Not directly, anyway. The Rune just opens them to its influence. It probably isn't even aware of them all. Its will just manifests itself in their unconscious minds."
"So you're saying it influences their instincts and emotions," suggests Lirassa with a hint of irony in her voice, "but not their will?"
Gaima looks at her warily and stammers, "Yes, that's...pretty much it..."
"We don't go that far!" cries Bina, glaring hotly.
Tossing her head smugly, Lirassa replies, "It's still the same thing!"
"It's not!" retorts Mey'Luskar softly. "Not at all!"
"Oh really?" sings Lirassa, stepping toward her and leaning down. "Is that what those ragsheets I always saw you handing out in the Park said? I don't think so! All the time the same thing: 'FIGHT MENTAL SLAVER...' hey!"
Pru's aggressive shove hardly phases the much larger woman. When Lirassa rears up and answers with a glare that would ignite a glacier, Pru says evenly (though she is clearly trembling), "I think the lady knows better now!"
"I thought you three made amends!" says Keil'i (in Her-Galad) with confusion.
Lirassa, who doesn't understand Her-Galad, looks at Pru with one eyebrow raised.
"She said she thought we decided to make nice," says Pru in Yangae.
Lirassa chuckles. Looking at Bina, she says (in Yangae), "Tell her that the three of us are best friends now!" To emphasize the point, she slaps Pru on the back (hard enough to make the smaller woman grunt) and ruffles her fuzzy hair. "Seriously, though," she continues, "there aren't many things that I really hate, but phoniness is one of them."
"What you call 'phoniness'," retorts Mey'Luskar, "a lot of people would call common sense. It's part of living in civilized society. After all, how many of the people around you do you think give a root who you really are?"
Zeton smiles are Mey's remark and replies, "Mey, you might be surprised how many of "give a root" about each other, even Lirassa..."
"So, Bina, are we going to meet Dusker face to face, or will we be identifying him without him being aware we are there, like via a one way window or some sort of viewing room?"
[Oops, Infogeek posted while I was writing mine...slight change...]
Mon'Fargret addresses Zeton, "To answer your question, I wish I had more I could add, but our gracious hosts have the best available information. This information appears to be that the mechanism is not well understood. I am sure Mey'Luskar would agree that her friend Dusker would never have revelled in snuff films and destroying public property at Wirg's before the trigger occurred. It is premature to assume that Dusker's roots were half-rotten before the Rune's appearance."
[I want to know more about Hus'Kerdu myself.]
"Well, it's hard to say, my lord," chuckles Pru. "Like I said, he was always a little...weird. I know I shouldn't talk that way about a Noble, but...well, he tried to pretend he wasn't, didn't he?"
"Is something wrong?" asks Dabid to Gaima all of a sudden.
Neither she nor Keil'i respond, but Bina gives him a rather caustic-sounding, "No!" Then she moves closer to Mey'Luskar, who waves her off.
The party has now arrived at the top of the hill and is approaching the Temple itself. There is a small crowd of sightseers there, but a few lay priestesses are busily getting them to make way.
Nekshi rubs her chin and contemplates this 'new' Kuluf. "I was going to alert my superiors about the presence of an Ancient Race servitor on this planet, and ask for further instructions."
"Someone in the Chain of Command must have data in dealing with this threat."
"Data?" echoes Kuluf. "And hopefully no foolish ideas. Very well. It is enough."
Humming absently, he follows along as Nekshi and Granite Spear proceed. Soon (after ignoring the warning sign) they are entering the nice little garden plot that marks the entrance to the Main Priest Quarters...
...to find a couple of lay priestesses barring the way.
After both of them bow and offer a polite greeting, one of them says, "This area is the private residence of the ranking priestesses. Can we help you with something, or are you merely looking around?"
Nekshi bows, "I am Nekshi, a member of the group investigating certain matters of great importance concerning Lyranell. I wonder if you have a hyperwave transmitter available so I may contact my superiors."
The two lay priestesses look at each other with puzzlement. Then the one who spoke before says, "There is communication and media access over in the Resort building. That includes interstellar communication via hyperwave cable."
They look at each other again, and then the spokeswoman adds, "If you're looking for a military-grade transmitter, I don't think we can help you. If you like, we can have someone take you to the Resort building so you don't have to walk all the way there!"
Mon'Fargret looks concerned, "I can't sense what is happening. Is it coming from inside the temple?"
"It's nothing like that," says Keil'i as pleasantly as possible. "It's nothing to be concerned about."
Nekshi smiles and nods, "That would be very considerate, my surian friend gets grouchy when she has to walk too much."
The lay priestesses smile warmly at Nekshi. Then one of them gestures. Turning to look, the group sees a small transport vehicle, most likely used for maintenance, approaching, its Foldorian-looking driver smiling broadly.
As an aside to Granite and Kuluf, "Everyone here certainly is 'happy', aren't they? I wonder if they allow Zorlans as priests? Or surians? Or N'gai?"
Kuluf only mutters incoherently to himself in reply.
The transport vehicle, which is marked with the logo of the Yanda Branch Temple, comes to a stop astride the group. The driver calls out a cheerful greeting and gestures for the group to hop into the back. There are already a few other individuals back there, and they all appear to be staff. (Two are Hergoth and one is Yangae.)
The driver looked like an Alyam (i.e. Asian-looking) Foldorian, but a closer look reveals him to have some Hergoth features, meaning he's Hertressk. The Yangae man in the back, however, is pure Yangae. The two Hergoth are both female. All of them are older.
The group in the back shifts to make room.
(Just so there's no confusion, the vehicle I just mentioned is approaching Nekshi, Granite Spear, and Kuluf near the Main Priests' Quarters. The rest of the party is entering the Temple.)
[oops. Mon'Fargret's remote doppelganger turns into a virtual cabbage]
Post a Comment