Ham and Mon'Fargret step out into the dim light of the main passageway and move cautiously toward the side passage where the scan broadcast was detected. After a few seconds' pause, Mey'Luskar gathers her wits and follows, Dabid not far behind. They arrive at the corner, and Ham looks at his scanner just in case.
Nothing.
"I don't think anyone's there," whispers Mey'Luskar.
"Allow me, my lord," says Dabid, and he steps into the entrance of the passage without waiting for a reply. "The lady is right. There's no one here. But someone was here. I can still see heat tracks in the cement." He moves a short way into the passage and says, "There are stairs going down to a lower level. Our visitor is down there. But wait..." He goes further in. "This also connects with another side passage, and there are tracks there, too. More than one set."
"We're surrounded," says Mey'Luskar.
***
The priestess resumes her tranquil smile. "Well, telling me what you saw might help ensure that the mind-screw doesn't happen again."
Lirassa's lip curls. Then she rubs the back of her neck, and her demeanor becomes calmer. She takes in a deep breath, lets it out slowly, and begins. "I saw what looked like a brown dwarf star, spectral type L. I've seen dozens of them. But this one..." She takes another deep breath. "Something about it just guadet me. Especially when it turned into a great, big eye! And that face...it...uh..." Her breath catches. A puzzled look crosses her face, and she taps the back of her neck.
"Your implant won't stop the fear," retorts the priestess. "It's too much a part of what you are. I know what you saw. My sisters and I have seen it, too. I don't know why you were made to see it. Did the face speak to you?"
Lirassa shivers. "Yes. Something about gathering the true, or wha..."
"What language did it speak?" interrupts the priestess.
Lirassa glances at Nekshi. "Yangae!" She turns to the priestess again. "It was speaking Yangae!"
The priestess gestures understanding and looks at Nekshi. "You saw the same vision, didn't you?"
"But they don't use that language!" protests Kuluf.
"This one does," replies the priestess gravely.
94 comments:
First!
Arggghh Second! *sneaks a peek around the corner of one tunnel. Notes the scanner readings
Nekshi looks grateful to be awake.
She rubs her eyes and sits up in bed listening to Lirassa and the Priestess. She doesn't seem particularly surprised to see Kuluf.
"I dreamed of the same entity, a star that morphed into a terrible eye, then a face, it issued this phrase in a language which I understood but cannot place..
All the true shall be gathered
The way shall be paved.
The grand plan of the Masters shall be realized."
She gets out of her bed and begins to get dressed.
Don
First what?
ElTigrez
Are you going to switch your scanner to active mode?
Seymour
Lirassa perks up. "Yes! Yes! That's it! What she said! That's what that weird face was saying!" Then she looks puzzled. "But I heard it in Yangae!"
The priestess' placid features take on just enough of a worried look to be noticeable. She and Kuluf stare at each other for a few seconds. Then she says, "We heard it in Yangae, too. Strange that Nekshi heard something different. Strange and troubling. But the fact that you heard it at all is significant. The vision is a hint to a question whose answer you are clearly meant to find. But there is also great danger. We need more clues. We cannot wait. Your companions, and the one they are protecting, must be brought here at once."
Then the priestess smiles and Nekshi and adds, "You may as well stay in bed and rest. I doubt the vision will haunt you any more."
"Good!" snaps Lirassa, and she stomps out of the room, nearly plowing through the two junior priestesses, who have just arrived.
Nekshi finishes dressing and addresses the Priestess.
"I believe I have rested a sufficient amount of time. I would like to accompany any attempts to gather the rest of my group."
"I'd also like more information about this 'message' you seem to know about. Who is this creature and why did Lirassa and I both dream of it?"
"There are no easy answers to your questions," replies the priestess. "As I mentioned, my sisters and I also saw that dream, but it was some time ago."
"I saw it, too," puts in Kuluf. "More than once, actually. The strongest was this evening, while I was meditating in the pond. But the vision these two saw tonight was far more powerful. I could actually see the flow coming to them."
"Where was it coming from?" asks the priestess.
"From the stars," replies Kuluf.
The priestess purses her lips.
"They were helped to see what others were meant to see," continues Kuluf.
"No," retorts the priestess. "They were allowed to see what no one was meant to see, at least not consciously. This is the danger. The real question is who helped them...and why."
Kuluf attempts to gesture negative in Hergoth fashion and looks rather comical. "No," he says. "I believe those questions have long since been answered. It is a question of conscience."
The priestess smiles thinly and gestures understanding. Then she looks at Nekshi and gestures toward the two junior priestesses. "I am sending them to fetch your companions. Your presence would be a big help."
Meanwhile, back in the tunnel...
Soon after Ham peeks around the tunnel, a youthful-sounding voice rings out, echoing around. Speaking Her-Galad (which Ham doesn't understand, though I guess his verbal translator would immediately spit out a Biton equivalent), it says:
"Where are your loyalties? What do you really fear?"
Soon afterward, a Farbett-sounding voice from back in the main passage growls back in Her-Galad:
"Oh, shut the [expletive] up!"
Granite grunts in annoyance. "Strange celestial eyes transmitting nefarious riddles. I do not understand this kind of nonsense at all." She stamps her staff on the ground once to punctuate her statement. She then attends to Nekshi to see if there is anything she needs.
Nekshi checks the load in her pistol and slides it back into her thigh holster.
"Yes, Granite, let's go get our friends."
At the sight of the gun, the two young junior priestesses gasp. The one who is obviously not from Lyranell says, "Is that really necessary?"
Mon'Fargret replies, "We are loyal to our own group of many cultures. We fear angering the Farbetts with our noisy racket. Why not just come talk with us?"
The voice replies with another question, "Which do you fear more, what you've become, or what you've always been?"
"I think that question is for me," whispers Mey'Luskar. Then she cries, "What difference does it make?"
"All the difference in the world," replies the voice. "If you're more afraid of what you've become, then come this way and embrace your path."
"What's the other choice?" demands Mey'Luskar.
"Taking your chances down here," comes the reply. "Or up above. It's up to you."
Although Zeton is not with the group he overhears the conversation. He is confident the voice means them no harm, but is unsure what will happen next.
Looking at Widj, Zeton asks, "Do you mind if I hitch another ride? It looks like we are getting ready to leave."
Nekshi smiles, "It's only necessary when I have to put one of Granite's victims out of their misery."
Merry Christmas Everybody!
The two junior priestesses look positively anguished in response to Nekshi's comment, but they still beckon her to follow.
"Why should I trust you?" cries Mey'Luskar.
There is a pause, and then the voice (which now sounds very familiar) replies, "Why are you so afraid?" Then it adds, "What about your companions? The honorable Foldorian? His Annuitis pal? The big guy who wants to be one of us? Their Farbett friend? We see the Zorlan and her scary sidekick aren't with you now, and we don't know who that other guy is. Do you trust them?"
"Yes!" answers Mey'Luskar without hesitation.
"Oh, really?"
Mey'Luskar glances at Mon'Fargret and then replies, "They've already bled for me!"
"But would they give up their lives for you?"
Now footsteps can be heard approaching from several directions.
"Answer me, Yang," comes the voice, which is clearly getting closer. "Would you bet your life on their loyalty?"
"Hey, you guys," says the Farbett heard before, only now in (heavily accented) Yangae, "do you need help?"
"Widj, please follow me. I'm going to hobble in the direction of our comrades, but I will need your help when we leave the tunnels. Also, it will be nice to have you help explain to the other Farbetts why we disturb their resting place, if they continue to ask."
Zeton hobbles in the direction of Mon'Fargret and Mey and begins to speak persuasively, yet respectfully, in Her-Galad, "Which Blue do we have the honor of addressing, Blue twelve perhaps?"
"Personally, I feel the question isn't 'would she bet her life on our loyalty', but 'would the rest of us bet our lives on her loyalty... to help others and not just herself'."
Zeton pauses as a flash of pain in his ankle causes him to wince. After a few seconds he composes himself and continues, "Our companion can be very...", Zeton quickly searches for a tactful way to phrase his feelings, "...difficult at times, this is true, but deep down I trust that she will help us deal with the poison. I am one who has bled for her and I am willing to bet on her loyalty to us. It may be a bet I lose, but at least I lose trying find a cure."
"I have it on good authority you are here to help us, yes? If you would be so kind as to show us the way to safety, so we can leave the Farbetts sleep in peace, I'm sure everyone would be very grateful."
The footsteps, which could be heard echoing from all around, come to a stop as if on cue.
"You're the offworlder who pretends to be one of us," jeers the voice, but there is respect in his tone. "You surprise me. You did before, you do again now. You honor the path. Yes, we are here to lead you, but only if you're willing to follow, and only if you're worthy."
"Listen to that crap," scoffs the Farbett across the canal in Yangae.
"You want to be one of us, Zeton?" continues the voice. "Yes, we know who you are. You aren't part of the Oneness, but I'll still call you brother and count you in. Your Foldorian friend passed the test a long time ago, so he can follow. I have no reason to trust your Farbett friend, but we'll let her come if you vouch for her. As for the Annuitis and that other guy..."
"I go where my lord goes," spits Dabid proudly in Her-Galad.
"Oh, really?" retorts the voice with a chuckle. "You're a tribute to the flaming Civilized Realm, aren't you, blue? Tell me, does the lady give you any respect for it?"
Dabid doesn't reply.
"He knows his place!" snaps Mey'Luskar in Yangae, exaggerating her Manager-caste accent to accentuate it. "He's a true citizen, as am I!"
The Farbett across the canal makes a chortling noise that blends right in with the gurgling of the water.
"No," replies the voice in Her-Galad, "you're a true phony, and you know it. At least Zeton's play-acting is sincere. You don't even lie very well. You might as well admit the truth to yourself and come with us."
"I'M YANGAE!" screams Mey'Luskar. "And I'll always be!"
"Would a real Yangae even be here now?" The footsteps can be heard approaching again. "You know your precious flaming verses, don't you, lady of the Realm? 'A gentle heart, a hand at your throat.' Am I right? Why are you here? Why are you afraid? Didn't you enjoy what you saw? You mean you actually feel compassion?"
Mey'Luskar trembles as she says, "H-how do you even know what I s..." and then she yelps and clutches at her head.
Now figures can be seen emerging from various tunnels all around. It's the Blues, as suspected. All the ones from Wirg's are there, but there are others, too. There are more than a dozen of them.
Several of them appear to be armed.
The Farbett across the canal grunts and disappears back into his way-nest.
"So, what do we do now?" asks Blue Twelve with a baleful grin.
"I can vouch for Widjgleeby and Ham Sahladt, our Ibitonian friend. As for Mey... I'm willing to bet she will be loyal to us to help find a cure for the poison, but I'll let Mon'Fargret vouch for her. I believe that would be the civilized thing to do, don't you?"
Zeton looks around and the group and then back at Blue twelve. "So, where are you guiding us? To Per'anai, at the Temple perhaps?"
Without waiting for a reply, Zeton turns to Widj and politely asks if he may hitch one more ride.
"No problem. If you don't mind being backpack I can carry you quite far."
Cocking an eyebrow, Mon'Fargret replies, "You have quite a number of folks here. Seems rather a lot to torment a split soul when there is so much more mayhem above. It seems we might be, at least temporarily, on the same page; which is good but...why waste time and personnel here with us? Do you really believe that pushiness and defiance will really persuade someone who is just coming to grips with this new awareness?"
"I don't think Blue twelve brought all his friends to intimidate us, but to protect us. Personally, I'd wished he'd brought a couple companies of infantry with armor support, but that wouldn't be very inconspicuous would it?"
"But you have an excellent point about his attitude. I think B 12 likes to egg on Mey because he knows he can wind her up so easily. I also don't think he really cares what Mey feels or thinks. He cares about finding a cure and doling out justice, at any price."
Zeton gingerly climbs onto Widj and adjusts himself so his good foot rests on her bag and he is looking over her shoulder.
Zeton tries to emulate Blue twelves ominous grin, (as an attempt to lighten the mood in the tunnel and not as an attempt to challenge B 12) and says, "The day must be dawning soon and this group of constellations is ready to set, so please Sapphire moon, guide us to safety."
Blue Twelve chuckles, echoed by several of the others.
"What, you think I'm the sapphire moon?" he says. "I guess I should be flattered. But we're not quite ready to go yet. The honorable Foldorian is mistaken, and you're partly right. We're not all here to 'torment a split soul'. We're here to protect it, possibly from you. You and the honorable Foldorian don't have the poison, and Farbetts can't get it. But as for the blue-skin and the red-skin, they both have stains in their auras. They're both killers. We're not willing to take a chance."
He nods, and several weapons are leveled.
"Those two will stand aside...and keep their hands where we can see them. The rest of you, I recommend you follow me quickly."
Zeton is a bit perplexed, but does his best to hide it. "Wait, are you suggesting Ham and Dabid are not welcome to join us? If that is the case, then we have come to an Impasse. I am not going anywhere without them."
"Stay, then!" retorts Blue Twelve. "We'll just take those two. Two Yangs. How ironic!"
"What if I decide not to go?" asks Mey'Luskar sourly.
Blue Twelve shrugs. "We'll leave you in the hands of the Entity. Best hope She smiles on you!"
Mey'Luskar says, "Then I'll make my bet." She plops down onto the cement and crosses her legs. "Either Zeton and the others go, or I don't."
Blue Twelve sighs hard and pauses. Then he says, "Well, there is one other option." He raises his hand to gesture (as Ham no doubt tenses up in readiness), but then his wrister chimes. Eying it quizzically, he toys with it as everyone stands watching him quietly.
"Oh," he says at last. Then he looks profoundly embarrassed. "Um...never mind. I guess all of you can come. We, uh..." He gestures with his head to the other Blues, and they immediately put their weapons away. "I'm supposed to tell you that your friends..." He eyes his wrister closely. "Nekci and...Invasive Magma Rock Projectile...are here now. Um, follow me."
He heads for the side corridor where Ham, Mon'Fargret, and Mey'Luskar are waiting. Mey'Luskar sighs with irritation and gives Mon'Fargret a quizzical glance as she stands.
Mon'Fargret shrugs his shoulders, "I guess we go with it. I think we ALL just dodged a possibly nasty moment."
He offers Mey'Luskar a hand up.
Goes to a more relaxed state of mind but ever watchful. Does however do an quick active scan of the area.
Mey'Luskar allows herself to be helped to stand (with reluctance written all over her face), and the party proceeds to follow Blue Twelve. Some of the Blues join the procession, others retreat back into the tunnels.
As the party moves on, some of the Blues look a little anxious.
Ham also senses something isn't quite right.
Blue Twelve leads the group onward, down the tunnel from which the scan pulse was detected before. He goes down a couple of levels, jogs across what looks like a small maintenance tunnel, and then goes down another level before joining another main corridor.
Just as Widjgleeby observes that they are in the main conduit going under the river, a figure can be seen approaching in the dim light. It seems to be a Bolgan.
Blue Twelve seems puzzled. "What's up, Braghl? We're here as you asked! Where is he?"
"He'll be here," replies the Bolgan in Her-Galad. "He wanted to take some...precautions."
"Who?" snaps Mey'Luskar in Yangae. "Does the Bolgan have the mark of privilege?"
The Bolgan eyes her calmly. "No."
Mey'Luskar looks away from him. "Then we will have it explain itself...while remembering its manners!"
The Bolgan looks at Blue Twelve and nods his head toward Mey'Luskar. "Is that her?"
"Yes," replies Blue Twelve with a smirk. "I'll apologize in advance. She won't make it easy."
"We'll deal with it," replies the Bolgan. Looking toward (but not at) Mey'Luskar, he says in very polite Yangae, "This one would inform the dear lady that she can stuff her head." He faces her squarely. "Kal'Yangae is dead. No one here serves him, especially not my master. I suggest you remember that."
Mey'Luskar barely suppresses a sob of frustration. "Who is your master?" she asks as if it leaves a bad taste in her mouth.
The Bolgan sniffs and replies, "The Cleaner," as if it were the dumbest question in the universe.
Right after he says that, there is a sound like faraway gunfire echoing through the tunnels.
"Scum!" says Blue Twelve with horror. He starts to leave, but the Bolgan grabs his sleeve.
"You'd better just stay here," he says.
"B-but my friends!" splutters Blue Twelve.
"They think you kidnapped these guys!" says the Bolgan. "The Cleaner wants you to stay here."
Mey'Luskar gasps. "The Night Guard!" She glances at her wrister. "At this hour? I'm impressed! I might know some of them!"
"Friends of yours?" spits Blue Twelve.
"Of course!" retorts Mey'Luskar. "They're part of the Scarlet Order, just like I am!"
Blue Twelve kicks at the cement. "That just figures!"
Mey'Luskar sniffs haughtily. "If anything happens to you, it's because you ask for it!"
Soon running can be heard from up the tunnel, and a voice shouts in Yangae, "There! Up ahead! Two citizens and a blue...and what the soil...?"
"I think we are about to learn a few new things. I recognize one of those souls out there, but the name escapes me for some reason."
"Braghl, I am not sure what is about to happen next, but do you want us to stand our ground or leave?"
Zeton prepares to take one of two actions, hang on tight to Widj if we are told to leave, or jump down onto his good leg to make sure he does not get in Widj's way if we are asked to stay.
"Just stay where you are," says Braghl brusquely.
The Blues quickly form a cordon just as five figures, obviously Foldorian, come bursting out of the side tunnel and scatter into position. All of them are armed.
There are three men and two women. All three of the men look to be of the Yangae ethnic group, while the two women are both Tembo (i.e. black). Their kit is a similarly motley assortment. One of the women and one of the men have carbine-sized firearms. One of the men has a machine pistol (think MAC-10). The other two have pistols. It's clear that they have other weapons, as well.
The one with the machine pistol has what looks like a helmet-mounted scanner.
"FREEZE!" barks the woman holding a carbine. "Filthy Herg punks! Move away from them! Do it! MOVE!!"
Some of the Blues start to comply, but then they stop and return to their position. Blue Twelve doesn't budge.
"I'd drop those weapons if I were you," says Braghl calmly.
There are some chuckles among the vigilantes.
"Wha...why?" demands the carbine-bearing woman with a smirk. "What'll happen to us if we don't, hairball? I mean it! These dirty Hergs've got eight seconds to move away!"
"Hey," says the other woman, nodding. "Isn't that 'Dusker''s lodge?"
The carbine-bearing woman (apparently the leader) squints and replies, "Hey, it is! Hey, Meskar!"
"Hello, Pru!" says Mey'Luskar. "What took you so long?"
"What took us so long?" echoes the leader. "What about you? People've been looking all over for you! Where've you been?"
Mey'Luskar smiles sweetly. "Just kind of...wandering around." She sighs. "My lodger dropped me this afternoon. Hard. I was, well..."
"He did? Oh, you poor thing! And then these Hergs got hold of you?"
"Um, well...yeah. That's about it."
The leader sighs sympathetically and then adjusts her aim. "Do you want us to clean 'em?"
Mon'Fargret wrangles up his manager-caste voice, "The first one to shoot goes home in a box and our non-aligned group will immediately take the opposing side. Mey'Luskar has been under our care and we've sustained casualties in her defense. Her attackers were NOT Hergoth, and especially not this group," he nods toward Blue 12.
Mon'Fargret takes a frim grip on Mey'Luskar's arm with his non-gun hand. He addresses Pru, "Until we have answers, she is not going anywhere. How do we know you weren't involved in the attack on her?"
(His gun hand is on his gun)
He also whispers to Mey, "Trust me. I honor your bravery."
The five Foldorians lower their weapons immediately, looking rather puzzled.
"W-we ask your forgiveness, good lord," stammers the leader, bowing. "We were...we heard that the...the Blues had attacked true citizens, and..."
"Manager Mon'F - [ouch! Not so hard!] - Mon'Fargret is right," retorts Mey'Luskar, "much as I hate to admit it. The Blues annoyed me, but they didn't attack me."
"She's in no danger," adds Blaghl. "You might as well go back."
There is some murmuring among the Foldorians. Then the leader says, "Well, why don't you at least let us escort you back to the skyside...you know, just to make sure..."
"Well, thank you for your kindness, but..." Mey'Luskar leans against Mon'Fargret and slides her free arm around him. "I think I'd rather spend some time with my new lodger!"
There are some chuckles among the Foldorians.
The leader smiles knowingly. "Well! I don't think we have any trouble with that, do we chaps?"
More chuckles from all but one of the men.
"There is one problem," replies the dour-looking individual gravely. "The Big Guy's looking for her."
"Well, yeah," says the leader, "but we can tell him we know where she's at."
"No, you don't get it," retorts the man. "The Big Guy wants her now." His brows furrow deeply. "He says she's got something that doesn't belong to her, and he wants it back. And as for these Blues..."
(I'm going to assume Ham is also at readiness. Both Mon'Fargret and Ham need to make d10 rolls against their ALT attribute. Everyone else roll d20.)
Widjy rolled a "12".
For M'F
14 - 8 = 6
Zeton rolled a 6.
Rolled a "3"
13-3= 10 pts
Ham idly watches the body language of the machine pistol guy....and his position relative to the "leader" of the group, while quietly fingering the safeties off on his weapons.
[A one ...and a two ... someone is going to see blood today...]
The last vigilante who spoke is clearly going to shoot.
Mon'Fargret, Zeton, and Ham can roll for swift attack if they like (recommended).
If you want to know everyone's position, see the layout here.
"Pru" is the leader (Tembo Foldorian woman, armed with a carbine-sized weapon).
"Scan-helmet" is just that (Yangae Foldorian man, wearing fiber armor and armed with a machine pistol).
"1" is a rather wimpy-looking Yangae Foldorian male armed with a carbine-sized weapon.
"2" is a Tembo Foldorian woman, the first to recognize Mey'Luskar. She's hunkered down behind "3" for the most part but seems to be armed with a pistol.
"3" is a rather brawny (for a Foldorian) Yangae male. He's the last one who spoke, and he's about to open up with his pistol.
Zeton rolls a 17. Not so swift this time around.
[That mapping tool is too cool!]
Rolled a 13 for M'F (My DER is 15, so that would be a +2 I think)
rolled a "7" with a DER of 14 then 14-7 = 7 pts
Using swift attack.
Impulse One
The last vigilante who spoke (#3 on the map) goes first, aiming and shooting his pistol as a single action. (No one can intervene at this point.) There is a (rather familiar) roar, and a blue-violet beam of light splits the darkness and connects with one of the Blues (the one standing ahead and to the right of Blue Twelve).
Direct hit to the chest. There is a flare of light and a muffled detonation.
Some of the blast penetrates and carries through. Mon'Fargret and Zeton are narrowly missed. Widjgleeby takes a superficial (but very painful) hit to her middle right arm.
Almost at the exact instant the shot is fired, everyone hears a bizarre and throughly chilling shout. It's more of a hiss, really, and it seems like it is heard inside the head rather than with the ears. It definitely enunciates a word however...a strange word that sounds like "Kyath".
Ham is next. During impulse one you have (barely) enough points to take a single action (i.e. aim OR snapshoot) OR change your movement status.
(I'll go ahead and point this out now. After Ham goes, Mon'Fargret also has the opportunity to take a single action or change movement status during the first impulse.)
M'F will snap shoot the shooter (if he is allowed).
The d20 roll is a 6. (He has +5 pistol +/- whatever other modifiers are in play).
Widj seems to be getting rather painfully burned alot. I trust such wounds aren't marring her beautiful Farbett hide.
[To keep things moving, I'm going to assume that Ham is going to do what ElTigrez said in his last e-mail.]
Ham raises his pistol and plants the designator on the throat of the scanner-helmet guy. (You'll shoot next impulse.)
This is followed by Vigilante "2" diving for cover behind "3" just as Mon'Fargret shoots (at 3). [Mon'Fargret's roll is sufficient to call the hit location. Assuming the pistol is still in burst mode, roll 3d6 for damage.]
For his action, Dabid hits the deck.
For her action, Mey'Luskar screams "NO, STOP!!!"
Zeton's action, when the time comes, is to get on the ground as quickly as his condition will allow and drop to a prone position.
5+1+6 = 12 damage
(Don, are you going to call the location, or roll it randomly [percentile]?)
If I interpret the "call the hit location" correctly, Mon'Fargret was aiming for the arm that wielded the weapon.
Ham will snap shoot the designated target. 3 shots using the laser as a guide. Walking it up into the face.
Snabudon
*sizzle*
ElTigrez
You'll roll for each shot separately, with a cumulative modifier. Roll for your first shot (d20). (The next two shots will take place during the next impulse.)
rolled a "13" with pistol for first shot.
CBT w/ designator is 14 so = 1 pt?
(Modified CBT is halved in a snapshoot.)
Ham's first shot misses (and becomes area fire...but doesn't hit anyone else). The next shot will count as aimed.
Impulse Two
Vigilante #3 screams as his gun arm erupts in flame (and flying bits of charred fabric and tissue). His pistol falls from his hand.
(I'll continue when I get home from work and have my notes handy.)
(Okay...)
As the pistol drops from Vig. #3's hand, there is a weird flare of bluish light just above and behind him, and something moving really fast, just a blur at best, comes out of it.
Vigilante #3 reels under a massive blow to the back of his head.
Ham fires again, walking his aim in. The second shot appears to hit "Scanner-helmet" in the torso, splatting in his fiber armor. He is knocked slightly off balance by the impact but is otherwise unaffected. (The next shot will count as "called".)
Zeton drops off of Widjgleeby and rolls to the cement.
Blaghl yells, "Ceasefire, damn it!"
Impulse Three
Vigilante #3 falls to the cement. Hard.
There appears to be a dark figure with glowing, blue eyes standing behind him.
The figure does an impressive spinning kick at vig. #2. However, she uses an almost as impressive martial arts move to fend it off. She is successful. The figure tumbles, breaking the fall a bit less than gracefully.
"Scanner-helmet" tries to dodge, but Ham's third shot hits him clean in his exposed lower jaw, ripping it off.
Mey'Luskar dashes behind Widjgleeby. Dabid moves to cover Mon'Fargret.
With a cry, one of the Blues, a girl, charges. The other Blues close ranks.
Strangely, the pistol that Vig. #3 dropped suddenly flies up into the air, zooming back over the party's heads toward the tunnel ceiling.
Mon'Fargret, you can take an action or movement option.
Mon'Fargret will fire a warning shot into the floor in front of the Blue girl shouting, "Get back!"
Impulse Four
The charging Blue girl pays no heed to Mon'Fargret's warning shot and charges right into the melee in the entrance to the stairway.
Blue Twelve and two other Blues each do an aim-and-shoot against Vig. #1 (which will overlap into the next impulse). As they do so, Vig. #1 initiates an area burst with his submachinegun (which will also overlap into the next impulse).
The other two Blues both miss, but Blue Twelve scores a hit on Vig. #1's chest area. Meanwhile, Vig. #1 manages to crank off a single short burst with his fireshell SMG. Several people feel the heat, but the only one to get any real effect are Dabid, whose hair gets mildly singed by one blast, and Mon'Fargret, whose jacket gets scored by the same blast.
Widjgleeby is up for an action or movement option.
Impulse Five
(The shots initiated in the last impulse take place now.)
The charging Blue girl lashes out with a wicked-looking knife at "Pru", who wound up getting knocked down when Vig. #3 fell and is struggling to get up. The attack is not successful.
Blaghl glances up at the ceiling and points in the direction of Vig. #1.
(We can start rolling speed points for the next exchange once Widjgleeby takes her turn.)
I'm going to head for the right wall. Hopefully Mey'Luskar will keep behind me.
I rolled an 18 on my d20
and a 4 on my d10. Use whichever you need.
(sorry, I'm at work and I'm a little swamped at the moment. Widjy is going to make it very hard for the "night guard" to shoot and keep cover at the same time.)
rolls an "10" on d20 for spd > 14-10= 4 pts
Zeton rolls a 15.
[Zeton has a ALT of 16, so 16-15=1 Makes sense with Zeton's bum ankle.]
M'F rolls a natural 1. (SPD and ALT are 14). When it is his turn, he would like to take a whack at Vig #1's arm [if I have a clear shot]. To keep things moving, I rolled a 3 on the d20 (wish I could roll like this all the time) for the pistol.
If I do not have a clear shot at Vig #1, I will move forward a few feet and provide cover fire for Widj et al if anyone appears to be ready to shoot in our party's direction.
Oh, no...you're all rolling for speed points using the OLD SYSTEM!!!
No problem...we'll deal with it.
(Okay...after converting the speed points to new system using percentage equivalents...and using the die rolls you guys gave me for swift attack...)
Impulse One
Mon'Fargret starts everything off by stepping forward while simultaneously performing a called aim-and-shoot on Vig. #1. It's a hit. (Roll 3d6, Snabulus!)
At almost the same moment, the eyes of the dark figure can be seen to flare bright blue (and everyone feels a strange rush when they do). Vig. #2 suddenly goes flying through the air across the tunnel feet first, clipping the charging Blue girl along the way, and driving into the far wall like an arrow (with a sickening crunch).
The dark figure then moves lightly to Pru.
(Mon'Fargret is up for another action or movement option [but roll the damage first]. Ham is also up for an action.)
3d6 is 4+3+4=11
Mon'Fargret will be ready to return fire on anyone who appears to be pointing their weapon towards his party. He crouches to make a smaller target.
With no hesitation Ham switches aim to Viggie #1 with traveling carbine and fires 4 shots. Same location - *head*. Rolls on d20 are 12, 18, 4, and 5.
[That is of course of no one on this amateur night is foolish enough to block line of sight.]
(Okay, I'll assume that's an aim-and-shoot action.)
Ham's first shot misses.
Meanwhile, Vig. #1's right arm literally explodes.
"Ceasefire!" yells Blaghl. "Flame it, CEASEFIRE!!!"
The dark figure grabs Pru and throws her up against the wall like a rag doll.
One of the Blues lowers his pistol. Another, on the far right of the formation, moves forward to help the girl.
Mey'Luskar follows Widjgleeby.
Impulse Two
With a grotesque cry, Vig. #1 topples forward. Ham's second shot misses him.
The dark figure draws a glowing short sword as if from thin air and puts it under Pru's throat.
Mon'Fargret maintains readiness from his crouched position.
Vig. #1's submachinegun suddenly zips up toward the ceiling as the pistol did earlier.
Both Dabid and Mey'Luskar yell, "Enough, already!" Blue Twelve yells something similar.
Blaghl moves forward.
Everyone else keeps moving or standing as before.
Impulse Three
(Mon'Fargret is up for an action and movement or double action.)
(Is Ham going to go ahead and take those last two shots now that his target is crumpling to the ground minus both his weapon and his arm?)
Mon'Fargret waves to Ham, "Stand down! It's over."
Moves forward to cover... pistol at the ready. I am watching to see if any of the night guard are stupid enough to do anything more. I will move to Scanner guy to search him, making sure they dont have any other nasty surprises on their bodies. I fully intend on retreiving weapons and other items of interest. Next would be to take a quick scan of the area.
Upon hearing Blahgl and then Mon'Fargret, Zeton will survey the carnage to determine if he can offer medical aid to anyone.
All the while he is keeping an eye on the dark figure with the glowing eyes. It took a few seconds to understand what was going on, but Zeton is quite certain they are in the presence of a Herkathan-Haneb.
Uh, you're going to pillage the dead with his friends standing right there? Armed? I think they are going to object a little.
Mon'Fargret will uncrouch and advance with weapon pointed down but still out (in case he is wrong about the "over" part). He will attempt to assess where the worst injuries lie as he goes.
[Meanwhile, above ground... ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz]
[I predict that attempts to loot the injured/dead will be unsuccessful unless carried out incognito]
I could care less what the vigilantes think of me disarming/*looting* their dead or injured :). I want to make sure any of the injured/dying get martyr ideas and pull grenade pins as their last dying wish or something similiar.
This wont be over until all viggies are disarmed. Then make sure they dont have reinforcements coming.
the dying *dont* get ideas...
I will provide aid to any injured blues, After I make sure we are in the clear.
Just a quick overview of the condition of the five Night Guard:
Vig. #1 is motionless on the ground, breathing in gurgling spasms with a bullet wound in the chest and one arm blasted off.
Vig. #2 is embedded in the tunnel wall feet-first like a nail and is dangling in a rather grotesque manner.
Vig. #3 is on the ground convulsing. One arm is a charred mess, and the back of his head looks partly dented in.
"Scanner-helmet" is on the ground gurgling, his lower jaw ripped off.
Pru is the only one of the Night Guards who looks to be conscious, let alone anywhere near in fighting condition, and she is currently up against the wall, wide-eyed with fright, as the dark figure (whose eyes are no longer glowing) holds an ionizer sword to her throat.
The Blues are already scattering to check out the fallen. Only two of them were injured. One was hit square in the chest with a pulse-baffler and is on the floor in several charred pieces (i.e. game over). The girl that charged is crouched on the ground, conscious but dazed. She's clutching one of her shoulders, which appears either broken or dislocated (because it was clipped by Vig. #2 as she was blasted through the air).
[Which, if any, of these do you want to check out? Be specific.]
(Okay, ElTigrez already said he was moving to Scanner-head. The Blues give him room and let him do so.)
First order of business...Scanner guy. Safe and clear the machine pistol, unload its ammo/power clip. Sling the machine pistol/ Stick in belt for now.
Restrain his arms.
Remove the scanner helmet- and make sure its definitely off. I don't want the possibility of someone "listening in" or remote relay.
Pad him down for secondary weapons, especially any explosive ordinance (aka grenades), com gear of any type.
"Mon'Fargret or Dabid, I suggest you check out Vig#1 for secondary weapons, especially look for grenades. Vig#3 looks suitably out of it with the dent in the skull, vig#2 looks wasted but I will check to be sure. Render aid only after you are done..if you want to."
Looking at the one holding Pru "I can trust you will make sure she doesn't move her hands or feet for any reason?" (using command tone)
I will check vig #2 next .... check the vitals just to be sure. Pad down the body. Vig#3 I will check last, same procedure as scanner guy if someone hadn't done so already.
Someone will have to check Pru finally. She is scared but she is still lucid and therefore hostile....supposedly the leader ..so may have com gear.
After that I will do a 360 active scan of the area to see what our situation is.
To everyone-
"Make sure our wounded are mobile. Prepare/Take the remains of your fallen if that is your custom. We may have to move quickly."
Make your padding down thorough, dont miss anything of be squeamish. We are still in the middle of this.
If Vig #2 is obviously dead, then Mon'Fargret will attend to Vig #1.
If Vig #2 is still alive, he will see about whether an amputation could be successfully performed to disengage the person.
For Vig #1, he holsters his pistol and grabs his med kit.
For Vig #2, he keeps the pistol.
Vig. #2 and #3 are both dead. #1 and "Scan-helmet" are alive but not for much longer unless given prompt attention.
I'll give you the details about their gear, etc. later when I'm home from work and have my notes.
I'll also continue this on a new post.
Post a Comment