Morva Free Channel
Your best source for local, planetary, and galactic media entertainment and information. Serving the civilized people of Morva with pride and a smile.
Morva Free Channel Evening News Update
"Good evening, lords, ladies, and people of the greater Morva area. I'm your host, Pa'Sallet."
"And I'm your hostess, Li'Moran."
"Good evening!"
"The people of Morva are shocked as a result of tonight's surprise drive-by shooting near Danstul' Station. A group of Hergoth youths was approaching the station when apparently they came under slug-weapon fire from a passing vehicle. Here on the scene is local correspondent Mai'Doppel. Mai?"
(Cut to on-location broadcast at Danstul' Station. There are a number of anxious-looking people milling about in addition to the usual pedestrian traffic.)
"Thank you, Pa. We're told that the Hergoth youths were all members of a local school hal'br'im team and were on their way to the Central District to celebrate a match victory when suddenly tragedy occurred. Witnesses say a single shooter opened fire on the group with a slug-thrower pistol, apparently at random, from a passing vehicle. The vehicle, a dark-colored Lemarvi (Foldorian-made wheeled car), was apparently stolen from a nearby parking lot and has been recovered by the police."
"Has there been any information on the attackers?"
"Well, witnesses say only that the shooter was wearing a visor, and that no one got a clear look at his face. It all happened rather quickly, and it's likely that the shooter was wearing a mask of some kind. There has been a bit more concrete witness information on the driver of the vehicle, however. Witnesses say it was a woman who was definitely neither Foldorian nor Hergoth. She was apparently a foreigner of a more large-bodied species."
"Were any civilized people injured in the attack?"
"No, they weren't, fortunately. The attack was concentrated only on the Hergoth. Two of the Hergoth are reported dead, and a third was seriously wounded but recovering at the witch hospital. The others appear to have been unharmed."
"This is all really...scary. I mean, attacks like this aren't supposed to happen! When was the last time there was a drive-by shooting of any kind in Morva?"
"Li, it was about eight years ago, and it did happen here in Ekr'im District, but it was a more gangland-related attack. A shooting like this directed at unarmed youths on a sidewalk has never happened in the history of the city."
"It doesn't give one much faith in the ability of the Ergothei Peace Force to keep us secure and civil, does it?"
"Well considering the Peace Force was unusually active today here in Ekr'im, it does have a lot of people wondering."
"I can imagine. Thank you, Mai'Doppel."
"Thank you, Pa'Sallet"
"And speaking of the Peace Force being strangely active in Ekr'im yet strangely lax in their duties, we go now to local correspondent Fon'Beloh in Artists' Square. Fon?"
(Cut to a view of Artists' Square)
"Thank you, Li. This is Fon'Beloh, Morva Free Channel News. I'm reporting from Artists' Square in Ekr'im District, where officers of the Ergothei Peace Force have been keeping people on edge all day."
"Could you please tell us more?"
"Certainly, Li. From early this afternoon officers of the Ergothei Peace Force on flier bikes maintained an unusually strong presence in the Square."
(Cut to shots of the officers on the bikes)
"No one knows why the officers were there. Some people believe it might be related to an incident this afternoon at a local cafe in which there was apparently a confrontation between Foldorian customers and a Hergoth gang. Apparently one of the Foldorians, a civilized local, was forced to fire a warning shot, and that ended the trouble. Rumors about that incident are already going around the Square. However, all indications are that the Peace Force officers started their stepped-up patrols even before that."
"Is there any chance that there's a connection between the incident at the cafe you mentioned and the shooting that happened over at Danstul' Station?"
"Um...I really don't know, Pa, but it doesn't seem likely."
"Alright. But what about these stepped-up patrols? How are they affecting the people?"
"In many different ways, Pa. If you look around me, things may look normal here in the Square, but there's a lot of tension in the air, Pa. Not only have the officers been hovering around on their bikes, but they've actually been attacking people."
"Attacked? Could you please elaborate?"
"Certainly, Mai. Well, first of all witnesses are saying that an officer shot and stunned a woman of uncertain nationality, apparently in the back. People are saying that the woman and a local punk had gotten into a fight, and a Peace Forcer just came up behind the woman without any warning whatsoever and shot her. A patrol car then came in after that and took the woman away. There's no word on what happened to the punk. But that's not the worst of it."
"What is the worst of it, Fon?"
"Well, we've had all kinds of reports that Peace Forcers pursued, cornered, harassed, and threatened a lord of the Manager caste in one of the exotic ethnic shops here."
(Cut to image of Mon'Fargret being interviewed in his shop, no audio)
"Lord Manager Mon'Fargret, seen here in the shop he maintains with his Annuitis servant in the Square, was apparently minding his own business in one of the many alien shops here when at least two Peace Forcers approached him in a threatening manner, held him at bay with drawn weapons, and proceeded to interrogate him while others in the store looked on. The lord says he was completely humiliated by the whole affair and suggested we ask the local constable for a full accounting of the matter. However, at the same time, he had this to say:"
(Audio fades in)
Mon'Fargret: "It would not be appropriate to comment other than to say that this is not the time for stark conclusions. Now, as much as I enjoy talking with you, I must get back to work."
(Cut to Fon'Beloh's sunny, highly-polished smile)
"One can't help but be moved by such stoic pride and civility even in the face of such barbaric treatment! Fon'Beloh, Morva Free Channel News."
(Cut to Li'Moran cooing with delight) "Our city is indeed blessed to have such excellent examples of true civilization!"
"Indeed! The Ergotheia haven't driven it out completely, have they? Not that they don't seem to be trying..."
"And speaking of trying, have any of you been wondering what has happened to all those people that earned Second Chance passes at the Yonba Talent Round-Up? Oh, come on! You know you have!"
"Well, look no further! The Free Channel is getting ready to release a special compilation showing the Second Chance pass winners performing as promised at prestigious venues here in Morva! There will be a special showing here on the net, and, for those that are interested, there will be a video release as well. In fact, the producers are saying that the video offers some extra-special entertainment that won't be on the broadcast showing!"
"Ooh, doesn't that sound exciting? Some of the Second Chance pass holders were pretty interesting! It would be nice to see what became of them!"
(There follows the usual promotional drivel for the Talent Round-Up)
160 comments:
"Huh..." remarks Lirassa.
"Servant," snorts Dabid.
"Indeed..." interjects Nekshi, scratching her chin.
"Organization X has just exposed itself. And all it took was the slightest pressure. A conversation at a local cafe. Imagine that!"
She turns and expresses her five digit hand for all to see.
"First, (she lowers her thumb) the drive-by shooting of the Hergoth youths. A hal'br'im team, probably in Blue uniforms, with numeric designations. Whether or not this attack was against the same youths we meant at Wirg's today is irrelevent. It was either a direct strike or a message to others."
Striding towards the kitchen, she checks on Widj's progress on the main course and turns suddenly.
"Second. (lowering another digit) The data on the second-chancers has been exposed and transmitted, probably due to spying within Wirg's. Org X has begun damage control."
She tastes the broth in the main kettle next to Widj's lower right arm and smiles.
"Third, our Foldorian Manager friend, Mon'Fargret (she bows to him and Dabid) has been the hapless victim of 'Ergothian' police procedures, which have turned into a rather convenient racial rallying point."
"Fourth,(lowering her ring finger), how many non-Foldorians are actually presenting the news at that station? 'Li-Moran, Mal'Doppel, Pa'Sallet. This is a Hergoth regulated planet. Yet Free Channel News seems well stocked with Foldorian opperatives."
She smiles at Mon'Fargret and Dabid and holds out her pinky finger. "Now my friends would you care to tell us what the fifth point is? I know Dabid knew at least 2 or 3 of the second chancers, perhaps personally. And you both seem to have the ability to avoid detention, unlike our misfunctioning Besteeng. Tell us, what took you so long to come to my party tonite?"
Dabid's silvery brows lower in obvious outrage. He holds up five fingers of his own.
"First," he says very deliberately, lowering his thumb, "was explained on the broadcast you just saw. Specifically, my lord was confronted by the Peace Forcers and delayed. Second..." He lowers his forefinger. "...my lord had an unexpected visitor in his shop who further delayed him. Third..." He lowers his middle finger. "...was also shown on the network broadcast you just saw, specifically that annoying reporter and his so fabulously misquoted interview. Fourth..." He lowers his ring finger. "...the Square was crowded with the usual nighttime festivities, which are a staple of Foldorian culture. Fifth..." He lowers his little finger. "...on the way here we..."
He pauses and glances around.
"Is someone using psy senses in here?" he demands angrily.
"Um, if I may," says Lirassa quietly, holding up a hand, "the Peace Force officers told me that they caught me because one officer thought I was someone else at the time. Mistaken identity. They didn't explain, but I...have reasons to believe them. They went to a lot of trouble to apologize, not that it made me feel any better.
"Oh, and by the way, the Free Channel reporters are all Foldorians because it's a Yangae nationalist channel. It was that way from the beginning. I mean, it's owned by one of the richest Yangae in Yonba Province!" Her facial features take an abrupt turn downward. "Why do you think I hate that kgakig channel so much?"
"Okay. Let's take a step back. First of all. I can vouch for Dabid as being a loyal ally. Second, somebody is using psy powers on both Dabid and I right now. I sensed something coming from Lirassa. We need to know right now, Lirassa, are you using psy energy on us in any way?"
Zeton looks at Mon'Fargret and says, "Interesting... I got a funny feeling when Lirassa first came over to me, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it...maybe that is what I was feeling."
Turing to Nekshi, Zeton continues, "Maybe we shouldn't have let Kuluf and Granite Spear leave so soon. Isn't Kuluf able to detect psy energy?"
Lirassa purses her lips.
"Yes, I have psy senses," she says in a defensive tone of voice. "I don't really think about it. I've lived among Hergoth a long time. It's just a habit." Her brows furrow. "I want to know what's going on just as much as any of you! Remember, I have friends among the missing!"
She backs up against the wall.
"What is this, a 'Let's rob Lirassa of all her secrets' party?"
Mon'Fargret shrugs, "That's up to you. If you stop using psy on Dabid and I, then I will stop complaining about it. Simple as that. Now, I think the commercials are over...."
The Free Channel news report goes on to report a minor altercation at a bakery in Gastra District, a domestic dispute that required intervention in Grissin District, minor vandalism at a bus terminal near a "witch site" in Erweina District, and demolition of a crumbling, old building in Thalwein District. Then it goes to footage of a festival going on over in the coastal town of Auani.
After a bit of mindless prattle between the two anchorpersons, they cut to their "culinary culture" reporter, who reports on the wares of some of the elegant cafes along the Wishing Walk in the Central District.
Lirassa huffs.
Turning to Zeton impatiently, she says, "Do you want me to help you access information on the pirate attacks?"
Zeton lets the realization sink in that Lirassa was, and still might be, using psy powers on the group. He has learned with the Hergoth to just accept it as much he can and to be honest as possible, because lying can be detected. He will also have to do the same with Lirassa.
"OK, listen, this is not a 'rob Lirassa of her secrets party' but I hope you appreciate that most of us don't appreciate someone poking around our thoughts. I answered your question as honestly as I could, right? We don't know what's going on and that's what we are all doing here, to talk about what we know."
Zeton pauses before continuing as diplomatically as he can. "Yes Lirassa, we not only want, but we need your help to access the information about the pirate attacks. However, before we launch off on that topic, I believe Mon'Fargret has some "tidbits" for us. I for one would like to hear what he has for us."
Nekshi sidles up to Dabid and says, "Sorry, I misjudged the situation, I hope you'll forgive me, but there's been alot of weird energy flying around."
Dabid turns away with a very pointed "Hmmph!"
"Oh, and by the way," Dabid snarls in Lirassa's direction, "we happen to be in Yanda province, not 'Yonba'!"
Shaking his head and muttering under his breath, he heads out to the veranda.
The local Free Channel broadcast ends with the interview of a Foldorian woman who, together with her lodger (i.e. partner) bought an old house in Gauha (Gül'a) District and fixed it up really nice. The garden in particular looks quite lovely with some flowers and shrubs shipped over from the Empire.
After that the Free Channel switches to Planetary News. There is mention of another pirate attack, this time on a Zanthi colonial freighter which managed to escape. Then the news switches over to the latest on the War.
Same old, same old.
Mon'Fargret rolls his eyes at the holovid, "So much for their excited Second Chancer news. It seems there has been some suspicion and misunderstanding...how about we start with hearing about what we found out today?"
[Even though you may not hear about it for a couple of days on account of my being on vacation in Seaside.]
Nekshi follows Dabid out to the 'veranda' (porch).
"Please Dabid, try to understand what I said wasn't an accusation. I'm just trying to understand how everything fits together. If we're going to work together we have to trust each other, and I'm sure I can trust you and Mon'Fargret. You both know this planet better than any of us."
She turns and looks out towards the river. "I don't think I'm prepared for this type of research. There are too many alien social constructs, too many emotions...how can I symbolize it?"
"What we've learned? Hmmmm..."
"We've learned the people earning Second Chances go missing....that there is a group of Foldorians who want to return to the old ways... we know the loyalist woman has taken something from the loyalist male, but we don't know what."
Zeton pauses to think before starting up again.
"We learned from the gang some Hergoth believe there to be a 'poison' being spread by the Foldorians, but again, we have no idea if this is figurative, or literal."
"Oh, let's not forget the way the cable seemed to 'fail', so the Free Channel was the only media source for a while."
"We learned the police seem to know something, but again, we know not what or whose side they are on."
"There is active pirate activity, which Lirassa and Ham know all to well..."
"Finally, I think we've all learned that Widjgleeby is a fantastic cook. This food is delicious!"
"How can you symbolize it?" retorts Dabid to Nekshi. "I think the most appropriate word would be 'mess'. I'm sure you wouldn't consider it a very precise term, but it fits. This city...this world...is a mess. And something tells me it's getting a whole lot messier."
Nekshi nods and looks up into the night sky.
"Indeed, a 'mess'."
She turns her head and looks at Dabid, "It has been my experience that when confronted with a mess it is best to clean it quickly and efficiently. And that is what I intend to do. Are you a good cleaner, Dabid?"
Dabid looks askance at Nekshi.
"That depends on what you really mean by that question," he retorts.
Going back to the menu on the Free Channel site, there is now a small ad for the upcoming video release of the Second Chance compilation in the sidebar. The date is given as two weeks from now. There is a link to reserve a copy.
"I need some more food," moans Lirassa, "and another drink."
With that, she trudges away from the media terminal.
"Dabid, I think what Nekshi is referring to is the mess of our various racial perspectives obscuring the ultimate goal of ascertaining the nature of the changes we are undergoing on Lyranell. The best way to clean up is with forbearance and tolerance so we can determine what to do next. That includes me first and foremost." Mon'Fargret avers.
"Now, I hope our amphibious members return shortly so we can put these pieces together. I think I will apologize to Lirassa."
[For the record, Seymour, the apartment has a veranda/balcony/porch surrounding it on all sides. That's typical Foldorian style for middle and upper middle classes. The building looks vaguely like a pagoda.]
Lirassa looks both startled and puzzled.
"What did Dabid say?" she asks. "You must have really good ears as well as really good manners. You really are impressive!"
Nekshi isn't sure (since Zorlan night vision isn't worth spit), but it's possible she saw a shadow move at the edge of one of the areas of illumination.
Nekshi notes the location and hits the recall button for Granite on her communicator.
She answers Dabid before going inside, "I mean sometimes people can get dirty cleaning up messes. Now I'm going to rejoin the others and get our overall strategy worked out."
The media terminal in the apartment starts signaling an incoming call.
Just as Nekshi turns to go back into the apartment, however, both she and Dabid hear a feminine voice call quietly but intently in Yangae,
"Help me!"
Dabid levels his gaze on the source of the voice, which is on the ground below the veranda. His eyes, able to see in the night almost as well as in full daylight, go wide.
"What in damnation is SHE doing here?" he hisses.
"Well I wondered if she was going to show up. Keep talking to her, I'll go around below and let her in."
Nekshi quickly returns to the main room and gestures for Mon'Fargret to accompany her outside.
She'll answer the terminal while she's there, as well.
Nekshi answers the call on the terminal. A vidcall window appears. The image is rather dim, but you can clearly see a very worried-looking Uskua.
"Um, hello?" she says quietly, then bites her lip and glances quickly over her shoulder.
She's obviously at Wirg's. The sights and sounds of the cafe/pub's night mode are in the background.
"Makh," remarks Lirassa. "What's gotten her so worried?"
Nekshi lowers her voice, "Uskua, what's wrong? What's happening there?"
She signals Zeton over to the comm.
Uskua glances nervously over her shoulder again.
"Um, another really scary person was just here asking about you guys," she replies. "A woman this time. I don't know what race. Maybe Besteeng. Big. Kind of reminded me of Lirassa. Had an Annuitis sidekick."
She glances around again.
"Your Lybolt friend wrote your contact info on the back of an ale mat. I don't know how she...she got Wirg to show it to her! I mean, he never..."
"Oy!" growls Wirg from off-screen. "What's with th' phonin' on duty? Table four! Move it!"
Uskua sucks air through her teeth anxiously and moves aside as Wirg comes into view.
"Who th'...ah," says Wirg. He grunts impatiently. "I don't want t' get involved in this. I got enough problems. I will say this, though. You guys must've got some serious stuff on you. The big guy in the loop is tryin' real hard to get in touch! Out!"
With that, he closes the connection.
Ham is fiddling with the scanner looking through some menus with arched eybebrow look. "Well thats something new I can do" ..nods.. and adjusts the display. He looks up just in time to hear Lirassa mutter about the terminal call. he glances at all three faces at the terminal with interest. "We have another problem? or development?"
"I think I know who she is talking about," observes Lirassa darkly. She heads back to the chair she was occupying before. "I wonder if...did they think I was...but that would mean...oh..."
She covers her face and shakes her head.
Dabid peeks in through the door, looks around until he finds Mon'Fargret, and says huskily, "My lord..."
Nodding, Mon'Fargret heads for the door.
Nekshi bites her lip and stares. "Kybosh! They're better organized than I thought. Mon'Fargret, get that loyalist in here fast. Everyone, we're going to have to cut short this dinner party short. Wirdj, can you guide us in the tunnels along the river? Ham, can you find the tunnels on your scanner? Zeton, pack up all your computer equipment and get ready to move. Lirassa, do you like dark, enclosed spaces?"
She looks around at the stunned faces as Mon'Fargret dashes out the door. "I apologize for this hasty exit, but we have neither the means or the averages to fight this kind of battle. I figure we have about 10 minutes before elements of Organization X surround this facility and render it unsuitable for humanoid habitation."
Nekshi wheels on Ham, "Take them directly into the tunnels, and have the Farbett lead you to safety. I will remain here and wait for my errant Shurian and her Froglike companion. We will sabotage what we can and delay and distract the enemy. Go now, and Ifni be with you, Ibitonian!"
Mon'Fargret darts out to bring the Yangae woman in. He sweeps under the veranda and says in Yangae, "Come, the time is short. Please."
"I heard something over there on the grounds," replies an anxious-sounding feminine voice from the shadows below the veranda. "Someone might be following me..."
Dabid jerks a thumb over his shoulder. "It's alright," he says. "Our resident Shurian guard discovered the local litter problem. You're safe for the moment."
The figure below moves lithely up the steps onto the veranda, trying to keep out of direct illumination as much as possible. It's obvious who it is, however.
"Hello again," she says sheepishly. Leaning just enough to bring her shoulder into the light, she pulls her collar aside to reveal the caste symbol tattooed on her shoulder.
Manager caste.
Dabid sucks air through his teeth with surprise and salutes her with a brisk nod.
"You don't have to invite me to your level," the loyalist woman goes on, "because I'm already there. Long story." She grins solemnly. "My name is Mey'Luskar, and I want to talk about the price of that artwork of yours. I think we'd better get inside, though. May I?"
(Based on the ongoing e-mail discussion, I'm going to assume Mon'Fargret hurries Mey'Luskar into the flat)
As soon as the woman everyone recognizes as the Yangae loyalist from Wirg's steps into the room...
"KLAGKE!!!"
...Lirassa is airborne.
(Mon'Fargret and Ham, I need a d10 roll subtracted from your ALT attribute [MF - 14, H - 13]. Nekshi and Zeton, I need a d20 roll subtracted from your ALT attribute [N - 16, Z - 16].)
Nekshi rolls a 14 and thus has a -2 (14-16).
Evil double post! I spit on your children and massage my tendrils in your blood!
No, that means you have 2 points (16-14). Now roll a d20 and subtract the result from that 2 (which is your effective SPD for this round).
M'F rolled a 3 on his d10 (14 ALT - 3 = 11)
rolled a 5 on his d10 - 13-5 = 9 pts
Zeton rolls a 6. 6-16=10. I hope that's good?!???
I meant 16-6=10. :-)
Okay...MF, Ham, and Zeton, each of you were alert and aware enough to react in time.
Now...I need each of you to roll a d20 (this time d20 for everyone) and subtract the result from the number you just gave me. This will determine whether and how much you can react.
(Those of you that have "swift attack" skill have the option of using it IF you intend to take action, i.e. to intervene actively in the situation.)
[I will need to tend to this when I get home...busy day at work today.]
rolled a "6" on a d20: 9-6= 3pts
yes I do have swift attack and I intend to use it to restrain her. Tripping her if need be, sit on her if I have to.
Nekshi stands with her jaw slightly open.
Mon'Fargret rolls a 9, 11-9=2. He intends to use his Swift Action skill.
[I want to know that he is reacting to before saying what his swift reaction will be]
[oops, a typo. what he is reacting to]
Okay. The situation is this. First of all: POSITIONS.
Mei'Luskar has just entered the flat through the front door with Mon'Fargret close behind.
Lirassa was (note past tense) sitting on a chair more or less in the center of the room.
Ham is not far from Lirassa's chair, fiddling with his scanner.
Zeton is seated on one of the portable (office-style) chairs in front of the media terminal in the corner. Nekshi is standing next to him.
Widjgleeby is in the dining-kitchen, occupying most of its space.
Dabid is still outside on the veranda.
Granite Spear's last known location was heard outside on the grounds.
Kuluf is unaccounted for.
Second of all: MOVEMENT
Lirassa takes the initiative by launching herself at Mey'Luskar, blood lust in her eyes. She can clear the distance in less than a second.
Mey'Luskar's movement option is to stop and assume a martial stance.
Zeton, Ham, and MF, do you wish to change your movement status (i.e. go from non-mobile to mobile or vice versa, change direction, change speed, change stance)?
If you like, here is a diagram of the flat showing where the characters were when the fun began. Lirassa is now charging into Mey'Luskar.
(Filling in by request...)
Zeton's movement option is to jump up from his chair.
Widgleebe hisses with surprise at the sudden outburst.
Her movement option is to pick up several pans and dishes and prepare to fling them, if necessary.
[<Glen Quagmire>Oooh. A cat scratch fight. I am so turned on right now. Giggity!</Glen Quagmire>]
Mon'Fargret is going to go for an angular charge on Lirassa around Mey'Luskar and push her with full force towards Zeton. He will attempt to do so in a manner that won't carry him with her.
Considering I am almost between the two I will jump up ....interpose between or restrain Lirassa even if I have to tackle her. I will apologize to her later.
That's a very nice mapping tool, Kevin. I hope (or don't, actually) to see that in the future.
It's very helpful as to what our actions will be.
[Philippa - "change movement status" means movement as from point to point on the board. Grabbing pots and plates is an "action"]
[Seymour - I used Corel Draw, which is what I use to make most of my teaching materials at work. Nice app. Bit spendy, though...]
Okay, Impulse One (i.e. the first second) Initial Movement Phase: (Wow! What's with all these fast runners?)
As Mon'Fargret dashes through the door and Mei'Luskar stands her ground, Lirassa barrels forward, but Ham is able to move just enough to cut her off.
Action Phase:
Lirassa goes first, and her action is to try to knock Ham out of her way (brawling skill).
Ham, you get one free defensive action. You also have (augmented) brawling skill. Are you going to dodge or block?
(Ham - in either case, you might want to roll d20 and subtract the result from your modified brawling skill [15].)
15-17= -2 [nope ..... stupid dice.] Looks like Im going to have to fall and trip her instead.
Lirassa connects. It's a shove rather than a punch, so there is no damage other than the fact that Ham is knocked off balance.
No one has enough speed points available to take an action this impulse, so we go to the next one.
Movement options
Lirassa continues into Mey'Luskar, who stands her ground.
Ham, your current movement status is "falling to the floor" and will stay that way this impulse.
Mon'Fargret, you have succeeded in arriving at the women's position, but you are also dodging the falling Ibitonian and the two women. Are you going to stop there or move to a different position?
Zeton, you are still standing in front of your chair (next to Nekshi). Are you going to move to a different position or otherwise change your movement status?
Yes. Move to position myself behind Lirassa. Objective is to grapple Lirassa and prevent her from attacking Mey'Luskar.
Mon'Fargret modifies his movement to pull May'Luskar away and back towards the door.
Okay. Time for Actions
Mey, Ham, and Zeton are up first, acting simultaneously.
Ham, you are currently hitting the floor. Do you want to use "breakfall" skill (which will cost you some speed points) to make sure you aren't dazed, or are you just going to deal with it so you can act now?
Zeton, you are currently about one meter behind Lirassa and closing. That is enough for you to take an action.
Mey takes an impressive-looking poke at Lirassa. Lirassa's attempted block is ill timed.
*THUMP*
Mey lands a solid punch on the bigger woman's chest.
I forgoe the breakfall and attempt to roll up against Lirassa legs as my stop ...wrapping my arms around her calves so she cant kick.
Ham Sahladt -
You landed on your good arm rather hard, but you caught it okay. (No damage, no HLT loss, 1 pt. of SHK lost, but you don't even feel it.) I'm going to rule that said arm is tied up for the moment. You can try grappling Lirassa with your legs, however. I need another roll against your brawling skill (i.e. roll d20 and subtract it from your skill-modified CBT attribute [15]).
Zeton is going to try and grab Lirassa and pull her away from Mey while Ham falls the floor. If possible Zeton will do this "bear hug" style to pin Lirassa's arms. If Zeton gets that far, he will try and spin away from Mey, putting himself between Mey and Lirassa. Zeton doesn't want to give Mey the opportunity for any cheap shots if Lirassa's arms are pined.
rolls a "6" 15-6= 9pts [synchronized floor exercises with mat technique ...probably get a low score from the peoples china judge]
Ham - Lirassa has already used her free defense and doesn't block. You scored a solid grip around her legs with yours.
Zeton - Make a roll against your brawling skill (i.e. roll a d20 and subtract the result from your skill-modified CBT attribute [12]).
Mon'Fargret - You don't have enough speed points currently available to do a grapple this impulse. You'll have to wait till the next one.
Zeton rolls a 14. Oh well, so much for that plan...
-2 points, eh? That means "Ooooh...almost!" As in you did succeed in grabbing her, but not solidly enough to maintain a grip. (Damn that loose, slippery fabric...)
We go on to Impulse 3. Movement.
Lirassa shifts her weight to try to keep Ham from pulling her down.
Mey'Luskar starts to dash around Lirassa's left toward Nekshi. Mon'Fargret, are you going to match her movement?
Ham, are you going to get up, or stay on the floor with your legs intertwined with Lirassa's?
Zeton, you are currently behind Lirassa. Are you going to change your movement status?
I will get up ..but first I amke sure I got a hold of one of Lirassa's arms ...or wrist. I want a good hold of her before I try getting up.
Zeton is going to change is momentum status. Zeton is backing up to screen Nekshi from Mey.
Yes, he is. Can't make Lirassa a sitting duck if he can help it.
Ham - You're currently lying on one side on the floor holding Lirassa's legs in a scissors lock (with your legs). Grabbing one of her arms will be an action, not movement, so you'll have to wait on that.
Okay, with Zeton backing up ahead of her and Mon'Fargret angling in from behind, Mey'Luskar steps lithely to the side toward the media terminal. Mon'Fargret narrowly misses crashing into Zeton, who has just backed right in front of him.
Mey'Luskar takes advantage of the instant cover both men have just provided her (especially Zeton, who stands more than a head taller than her).
Okay, now Actions.
Lirassa goes first. Since Zeton and Mon'Fargret are between her and her target, and she can't move very easily on account of her legs being caught, she changes strategy...and quickdraws something that was tucked in her skirt. She still has the most points this impulse, so her next action is to aim whatever it is she quickdrew.
Mon'Fargret, your turn.
M'F will tackle Mey'Luskar
Roll for it. (Roll d20 and subtract it from your skill-modified CBT attribute [15].)
When does Widjgleebe get to pick up some dishes and come out of the kitchen? All this Impulse #42, action phase, movement phase stuff didn't exist the last time I played this game! ack! Confused. Besides I got pretty new polyhedrals and I wanna use them!
15-15=0
[Philippa - That's what you get for not buying the latest edition of the rules! The system I'm using now is the one I used throughout my OSU years and in my various campaigns here in Japan - a good twenty years now! Basically, combat time is figured into 10-second rounds, which are subdivided into two 5-second exchanges, which are in turn subdivided into five 1-second impulses. Each impulse has pre- and post-movement phases (mainly to accommodate vehicles, missiles, etc.) and an action phase. You can't go yet because you don't have any speed points during this exchange (mainly because you were distracted with your cooking), which is almost over. You'll have to wait till the next exchange, if the action lasts that long.
You don't need to worry about the technical bits so much. I'll let you know when you're up for movement or an action. So far only 3.5 seconds have elapsed since Lirassa shrieked and launched herself at Mey'Luskar.]
Her attention distracted from Lirassa and not understanding what's going on, Mey'Luskar gracefully dodges Mon'Fargret's attempt to tackle her, a puzzled look on her face.
Mon'Fargret, caught up in his forward momentum, winds up doing a funny sort of duck walk to keep on his feet...narrowly missing Nekshi and catching himself on the media terminal stool.
Lirassa shoots. There is a blue flash and a sort of crackling sound.
Sparks play on Mey'Luskar's shoulder, and she seems to swoon.
Impulse 4 - Movement
Lirassa stays where she is.
Looking dazed, Mey'Luskar stumbles toward Nekshi.
Mon'Fargret stops his momentum by pressing against the stool and wall.
Ham and Zeton?
(I just remembered...Info Geek is out of town, and he asked me to run him for a bit...)
Zeton moves toward Mey'Luskar, taking care to keep himself between her and Lirassa.
Ham, assuming you haven't changed your plans, you're still holding Lirassa's legs in a scissors lock awaiting an action so you can grab her arm.
Actions
Lirassa goes first.
She lowers her weapon and says (in Yangae), "So how do YOU like it, dirt-licker?"*
(*To a Foldorian of middle or upper class this is a serious insult.)
Zeton catches Mey'Luskar, who doesn't resist.
No one else has any speed points left this exchange, so these actions overlap into Impulse 5.
(Is anyone going to take any action during the second exchange [i.e. roll for speed points], or should we call this done for the moment?)
I will latch onto that weapon wrist to pull myself up. I roll a "10" on the next d20 if that is needed.
Nekshi recovers from her funk and rushes foward to catch the slumping Foldorian woman with Zeton.
"Breathe quickly and evenly my friend, you've just been stunned."
She helps Zeton lower the stunned fem into the seat at the media center.
Turning quickly towards Ham and Lirassa she says, "I swear Besteeng, your next shot will be your last! Control yourself in my household or I will ask Ham to put a leash on you!"
[3 questions:
Say, what is Dabid up to?
Is the current melee calming down at this point?
Can you elucidate about what happened beyond one person flying then another slumping after some vague weapon is drawn? I realize the action has been fast, but the brain also processes details quite quickly and a more complete picture might eliminate misunderstanding. After a couple of impulse rounds such info should be available to most of us who were watching.]
Mon'Fargret waves Dabid over to get more meat between the feuding females.
Ham latches onto Lirassa's weapon arm without any trouble. She doesn't offer much if any resistance other than to mutter something in Brekka.
Turning to Nekshi, she retorts darkly in Yangae, "I think I've made my point. I had no idea she was invited!"
Dabid was still out on the veranda while all this was going on. He hadn't entered the flat yet. Now he's standing in the doorway looking puzzled. Seeing Mon'Fargret's summons, he moves his way over to the latter's position.
Okay, a quick recap on what just happened:
As soon as Lirassa saw Mey'Luskar come into the room, she shrieked a Brekka obscenity and launched herself headlong at her.
Ham Sahladt, who was standing only slightly out of Lirassa's path, responded quickly, stepping forward to stop Lirassa. Lirassa responded by slamming him with her shoulder, knocking him off balance. He fell to the floor. As he did so, he grabbed Lirassa's legs in a scissors lock with his own legs, but she stayed on her feet.
Mey'Luskar assumed a martial stance and gave Lirassa a quick blow to the chest, doing very little. Then, as Mon'Fargret circled around from behind to try to come between the two, Mey'Luskar backed off. At the same time, Zeton jumped up and tried to join the action. He and Mon'Fargret very nearly collided. Mey'Luskar then tried to duck behind the two men for cover.
Unable to move and too far away from Mey'Luskar to punch her, Lirassa quick-drew a mini-pistol she had hidden in her skirt and took aim. Mon'Fargret then tried to tackle Mey'Luskar, but since she wasn't aware of the drawn pistol she assumed Mon'Fargret was trying to catch her and dodged. Mon'Fargret's missed tackle attempt then carried him to the nearby media terminal stool and wall (narrowly missing Nekshi).
Lirassa squeezed off one pulse that caught Mey'Luskar in the shoulder. Mey'Luskar remained conscious but was clearly dazed. Zeton caught her, followed by Nekshi.
The entire exchange lasted less than five seconds.
"You can let go of me now," says Lirassa to Ham irritably. "I'm quite finished...unless she wants to try something." She nods toward Mey'Luskar.
Weakened and trembling from the stun burst, Mey'Luskar nevertheless has fire in her eyes.
"Barbarian slut!" she hisses shakily. "Do you have any idea why I came here?"
"I couldn't care LESS why you came here," retorts Lirassa. "My only concern is how you leave...and in what condition!"
"HOW LIKE A BESTEENG!!!" shrieks Mey'Luskar. "All muscle and no brain! Why do you think we beat you?"
WHO beat us?" demands Lirassa with a mocking shrug. She nods toward Zeton. "The Lybolts took the Zero Zone before we had a chance to take it back! But since they're with us now, I guess that means the Zero Zone is ours anyway, now, does-n't it?" She tosses her head.
"Oh, please..." mutters Dabid.
"Shut up!" shout both women in unison, their eyes not leaving each other.
"SAVAGE!" spits Mey'Luskar.
"Dirt-fucker!" jeers Lirassa with a caustic smile.
"H-h...how DARE you..."
"Go roll in it!"
"You dare soil my name..."
"Soil your name? I'll shit on it!"
"Subhuman scum!"
"Stuck-up..."
Nekshi's communicator beeps.
Still looking rather stunned, Nekshi holds up a finger to indicate she's taking a call.
The whole room goes silent as everyone looks at Nekshi with anticipation.
(Except perhaps Widjgleeby, who sighs as she sets down the various pieces of cookware and crockery she was busily accumulating.)
[100 comments!]
As Dabid nears, Mon'Fargret half-whispers, "Is everything okay old root?"
[Gamemaster override]
Eltigrez says...
After I regain my footing "ENOUGH!" Ham growls in a low voice in Yangae(will use intimidation and command for more effect if i can). "We will have evergreen trees...er...plenty more..."
(Ham sighs. His Yangae vocabulary isn't quite up to the task. Switching on his translator and continuing in Biton, he goes on.)
"Anyway, we'll be having plenty more visitors arriving shortly, and they wont be in a word exchanging mood. No more delays we move out NOW" I fix Mey'Luskar first with a hard stare then the same with Lirassa, letting her know Im irritated with her behavior.
Lirassa hums with approval and salutes Ham with a nod.
"Evergreen trees?" repeats Mey'Luskar with a quizzical look. Then she waves a hand and presses it to her forehead. "I know, I know. I'm sorry. Believe me, right now I'm feeling a lot dumber than you just sounded."
"And you admit it?" asks Lirassa incredulously.
"Oh, lay off!" snaps Mey'Luskar, but she looks deflated. "If it makes you feel better, Besteeng, I'll even admit we've lost. Believe me, we've lost!"
"Moving out right now might not be such a good idea," says Dabid quietly, eying Mey'Luskar with furrowed brows. "Not without some thought, anyway. I stayed out on the veranda to wait for the Shurian. She did not come. I couldn't hear her approach, either. I was about to go down and investigate when I was distracted by the...noise. I have a bad feeling about this."
Mon'Fargret furrows his brow, "Can we get to the tunnels quickly enough or do we need to deal with some resistance? What do you think, Dabid?"
Dabid shrugs. "I didn't see anything unusual, if that's what you mean. I don't even know what, if anything, is out there. There is also the no small matter of the location of the tunnel entrance."
"I think me . .I remember where there is a way into the tunnels." Widjgleebe says, setting down a last pot with a disappointed sniff. "I know them better than the streets so I use them to get around the city. All we need is way into city service tunnels. There should be an access plate by this building."
She drops the last piece of raw meat down her gullet and stifles a belch.
"Pardon Widjgleebe." she says as she dries off her new knives and puts them in her bag."I am ready."
"I have found exact location of the tunnel entrance as well, thanks to our previous eavesdroppers and the scanner" [and a nice blog interface hiccup ... that I couldnt post this earlier]
Mey'Luskar shakes a hinting thumb at Nekshi, who is still intent on her com.
"What's with all the sudden urgency?" demands Mey'Luskar in a half-whisper. She glances at Lirassa. "I mean, I know you weren't expecting me, but..."
Then she looks at Mon'Fargret very intently.
"Did the triask talk to you?" she asks. "I'm interested...very interested...in your art. And I'm prepared to pay very dearly for it."
Lirassa shakes her head with confusion.
"So why are you here?" she whispers.
Mey'Luskar meets her gaze softly.
"Your friend the juggler," she replies. "Do you want to know what happened to him?" She looks at Zeton. "Do you want to know what happened to all of them?"
She pats her jacket pocket.
"I have the answer right here."
Widjgleeby...roll against your ALT attribute (i.e. roll your pretty, new d20 and subtract it from 13).
(sorry for the wait, I had to fly to Southern California)
Nekshi reads her comm display for a short time, and then looks worried.
"Granite just reported that a ground car with two unidentified females pulled up to the building a couple minutes ago. They seem to be gathering items in the 'van' before approaching."
"Hopefully she'll send more details, but this might be a preliminary probe by our enemies. Or it might be nothing at all."
"Your enemies?" echoes Mey'Luskar. She looks at Mon'Fargret. "You have enemies? Would it be better if I left?"
"Probably," retorts Lirassa, "but don't. Whatever's going on, I have a feeling it's probably all your fault, but I'd still like to know what happened to my friend."
"No one is going anywhere just yet."
Zeton turns to Nekshi and asks, "If the two new arrivals turn out to be party crashers, is Granite Spear capable of dealing with them?"
Turning back to address the group, Zeton continues, "I'm not in favor of making a hasty get away if we can help it. I think I know who Wirg was talking about when he mentioned the "big guy in the loop". I've heard that phrase used to refer to a Foldorian of the Manager caste by the name of Mas'Vellaf. He's the manager of the Scarlet Loop, one of the high class nightclubs in Ekr'im. He's well connected and someone you generally don't want to cross. If he's mixed up in this, we definitely have our work cut out for us."
"Ham, are you able to scan the two newcomers to determine what sort of equipment they are carrying?"
Pausing, Zeton they fixes his attention on Mey, "Yes, to answer your question, I would like to know what happened to all the people who won Second Chances, but I think the answer will have to wait until we deal with the current situation..."
Mon'Fargret has a couple responses that he needs to place in correct temporal order...
Re: "Did the triask talk to you?" she asks. "I'm interested...very interested...in your art. And I'm prepared to pay very dearly for it."
Mon'Fargret says, "I am flattered by your interest and I will charge a fair price. We will need to talk specifics as we go, though."
Re: "Your enemies?" echoes Mey'Luskar. She looks at Mon'Fargret. "You have enemies? Would it be better if I left?" and Lirassa's and Zeton's response.
He says, "Until today, I had no real enemies and you are certainly not one of them. Now it seems they are coming out of the woodwork. We'd best get ready for the worst and hope for the best."
Mon'Fargret readies to draw his pistol and moves towards a defensive position by the door.
Mey'Luskar's eyes go wide at the mention of Mas'Vellaf.
"You said his name!" she whispers. "NO ONE says his name! If you say his name, there's a 20% chance that he'll send 1-4 byakhee to slay the speaker!"
(No, she didn't say that last sentence. Instead, replace it with:)
"He has spies everywhere! What, has someone connected with him been asking around at Wirg's?"
She turns pale.
"Has there been an announcement about the release of a Second Chance passers video?"
Lirassa scowls. "I should've known you'd be mixed up with him."
Ignoring Lirassa, Mey'Luskar turns to Mon'Fargret.
"I don't think you're understanding me," she says quietly. "It's not the art itself so much as what it signifies that I'm after. And the price is already decided."
She reaches into her pocket and pulls out a data spike.
[Mas'Vellaf = Voldermort]
Mon'Fargret replies quietly while raising an eyebrow (or the Foldorian equivalent), "I understood the metaphor and the price is indeed fair. I thank you. We shall work together with Dabid to commission a better work of art."
He takes the proferred data stick [USB is indeed universal!]. To Zeton, "Do we have time to view this? What is the situation on the ground?"
Ham returns to his scanner immediately. "I have one target moving towards our position, possibly a Besteeng female, she is armed, although not heavily so far as I can tell..she has comm gear etc"
The scanner begins beeping all of a sudden.
"There is another scanner out there ...targeted on our position ..I would say we been made."
Mey'Luskar jumps. "A Besteeng female?" she echoes anxiously, zipping the spike back into her pocket before Mon'Fargret can take it.
Lirassa scowls. "I have a feeling I know who it is, too." She mutters something sour-sounding in Brekka.
"Then it's true!" says Mey'Luskar. "They know!" She gives Mon'Fargret a desperate look. "I've got to hide or something! She doesn't care about any of you! She's looking for me! She wants what I have! But I can't let her have it!"
Dabid makes an evil-sounding sound in his throat and ask very deliberately, "Did you steal something from him...or from his mistress?"
"NO!" retorts Mey'Luskar. "Someone else stole it...and gave it to my lodger! I just saw it! And when I did..." She looks sickened at the memory.
"Ah yes, information, more tempting than forbidden fruit..."
"Ham, good work. At least we know, that they know, what we are doing. Can you jam their scanner at all?"
"I can think of a couple of possible ways out of this, but none of them are going to be easy. In any event, I think Nekshi is right, we are going to have to leave her flat.
Right now it seems they want Mey..., so maybe we can get out of this without anyone getting hurt. I think it might be time for someone to become very ill. Mey or Nekshi? We bundle the person up and act very excited and concerned. Food poisoning. We've got to get them to a Geishana acolyte, fast. We can also start a fake argument about what caused the illness, say undercooked meat? The only part I haven't worked out yet is... once we get outside, how do we get to the tunnels without being followed. Maybe we need to call the fire department as a diversion too? Does anyone else smell smoke?"
Now you can hear the clop clop clop of high-heeled boots ascending the stairs.
Nekshi looks to Zeton. "I think the time for diversions is over. We shall listen to what these newcomers have to say, in a calm, and rational manner. If they attempt to use violence or threats against us, we will be prepared."
She looks around the group. "If anyone feels uncomfortable with this, speak up now, before any shooting. I'll alert Granite to our final decision. She's in concealment, but ready for action."
"Nekshi, as ever, you are the voice of reason; however, next time, we try it my way." Zeton smiles broadly as he replies to Nekshi's sound advice.
"So, shall we prepare a bit for our visitor? Mey, maybe you should conceal yourself as best you can in the kitchen and have Widjgleebe protect you. I think there is an exit from the kitchen and if worse comes to worse, you can use it to escape."
"Ham, please keep us advised of what's going on outside, but be ready for a fight. Mon'Fargret, would you be so kind as to let our guest in when she knocks?"
Mon'Fargret would be happy to, even considering the risks.
However, he will need more information on how the door operates before assuming the proper position.
(Remember, he was behind the door before we heard the steps [behind meaning opposite the side where one would open the door]).
[It's just an ordinary, hinged door opening outward. It's hinged on the left side. (Look at the picture of Lirassa entering the flat in the previous post.)]
Mey'Luskar glances at Widjgleeby and then gives Zeton a "you're kidding" face. With a resigned sigh, she walks over to the kitchen.
You can hear the clop-clopping on the veranda outside. Then the doorbell rings.
Mon'Fargret puts his pistol behind his back, moves to the right side of the door with his body against the wall. He opens the door a few inches, sizes up the potential visitors and says, "Yes, may I help you?"
Definitely a Besteeng woman, though the wristers she has on are clearly of Foldorian make (and quite expensive looking...meaning they probably have lots of functions). She reminds you a lot of Lirassa; she's about as tall, but you note that it mainly has to do with the high-heeled boots she has on. (Lirassa is wearing low-heeled shoes.) Her style is also rather more flamboyant than Lirassa's.
Flashing a pleasant smile, the woman says in Yangae with no trace of foreign accent, "Best of the evening to you! May I speak to Nekshi, please?"
Ham nods and draws a slug thrower pistol from his jacket ....checks its safety and its magazine, and puts it behind his back holding it at the ready, while positioning himself behind and to the side of Lirassa, blocking access to the kitchen as well partially obscuring the scanner behind the chair. He continues his scanning while noting some interference within the location of the second target.
The woman pauses, and then she says cautiously, "I apologize for the interruption, but this is a very important matter. I am giving you my identification."
She carefully slides a card through the narrow opening. The words "private investigator" can be seen.
"All I want is information," says the woman. "May I speak to Nekshi, please?"
Lirassa crouches behind one of the chairs, opens her bag, and takes out a "hot comb"...which she promptly starts dismantling.
[This is slightly out of sequence ...happening before the doorbell rings..] "Scanner location is with second target ..right next to a van... target most likely has a personal defense screen operating....readjusting for better detail." Looks at Nehkshi "I can't block the other scanner..not without time and it will be pretty difficult at best."
I rolled an "8" on my royal blue and gold scarab polyhedral which gives me a "5"!
(I get the feeling that the point where this roll matters is long gone though)
When Mey heads for the kitchen, I hear her comment and see her eyes roll so I pick up a big spoon and assume a fighting stance.
(I saw a bumper sticker on Sat. "Cthulhu/Voldemort 2008, why vote for the Lesser of two evils?")
Nekshi moves foward to the door and puts her hand on MF's shoulder. "I am Nekshi, would you like to come in and talk? Our Farbett friend has prepared a rather large dinner, and we need people with large appetites to finish it."
On seeing the Farbett rearing up over her with what probably seems like a +5 vorpal serving spoon of ultimate mayhem, Mey'Luskar stops short, gulps loudly, and whispers, "Um...hello...I need to hide!"
"That's very kind of you to offer!" replies the woman at the door, whose card identifies her as Mira Bagkarr. "Really, I only came to ask a few questions, and I don't want to trouble you." Then her tone becomes more serious. "Fair is fair, though. Tell your friends to put their weapons away."
Widj...you can smell that the woman (outside) is packing at least one energy weapon of some kind that is currently activated.
Mey'Luskar smells very afraid...
Seymour...d20 roll against Nekshi's WIL please.
[Mon'Fargret overloads his pistol and blows up everyone in the building. What an attention whore. Not really, but he isn't disarming without a high sign from Nekshi either.]
[Gamemaster override]
Seymour says...
Nekshi puts her hand on MF's shoulder and says, "It's okay. I think diplomacy is the best course of action now. Everyone put your weapons away."
"I promise not to take too much of your time," says Mira calmly. "I only have a few questions."
"And I'm sure we can answer your questions adequately," replies Nekshi. "I believe the person you are seeking is here."
Mon'Fargret nods and holsters his pistol. Trusting Nekshi, he proceeds back into the flat towards Widj and eventually to Mey'Luskar. Even so, he keeps the people in his peripheral vision until the last possible moment.
"Better," remarks Mira. "There is still a drawn weapon in there, though. I have an idea! If Mey'Luskar really is in there, why don't you send her out to me? That would solve a lot of problems!"
"What's...going...on...?" whispers Mey'Lusker from where she's cowering near...but not quite in...the kitchen.
Widjgleeby is still staring her down with her wicked-looking serving spoon.
"That is indeed a most rational idea!" replies Nekshi with a pleasant smile. "That way we're all spared from unnecessary bother, or even the chance of an unfortunate mishap! Widjgleeby, you can release her now! Mon'Fargret, please escort her to the door!"
[I guess I shoulda checked my email first before posting...and used my head. So assuming you let me change my plans a bit...]
Mon'Fargret turns and speaks with his most commanding manager caste voice, "Now, what would you want with this Mey...what's her name? Why don't you just tell us why you've picked poor Nekshi's house out of nowhere? While you're at it, how about knocking off the psy stuff? Just ask your questions, we'll answer if we wish, and then you go."
The hand is back on the pistol but still holstered for now and ready to draw/fire.
[Oh, see now your ahead of me again writing while I compose my post...not sure what to do next since our courses of action are contradictory.]
Zeton begins to backup toward the kitchen, ensuring he faces the door to keep an eye on Nekshi and Mira. As soon as he gets to the kitchen door way he whispers to Widj, "I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I think your directing your energies toward the wrong person."
Glancing at Mey he continues, "I'm not sure what's going on, but it appears that Nekshi isn't herself."
Shifting his attention back to Widj, Zeton asks in a clear whisper "I've heard Farbetts can smell very well. Tell me, how does the woman outside the flat smell to you? Is it a smell you would trust?"
There is a pause, and then Mira says pleasantly, "You must be the noble soul that was interviewed on the Free Channel! My investigation led me here, and now I've found what I'm looking for."
Then her tone changes, and her Yangae starts to lilt more. "Nekshi, I'm trying to spare us both something we'd regret. Let me talk to Mey'Luskar. Bring her out here, and I promise it'll all be finished soon."
Meanwhile, Mey'Luskar is gesturing negative to Mon'Fargret and Widjgleeby as if her life depended on it.
"Ag...rakh..." mutters Lirassa, the thoughtful look on her face turning to one of fear.
Suddenly Nekshi's com unit beeps again.
(Seymour...give me another d20 roll against your WIL)
12-3=9
How strangely opposite my last roll.
I'm at my parents house and on dial-up, so I might be longer to respond.
[Check your email MM]
I whisper to Lirassa "Make sure Nekshi does NOT open that door, that would be bad for all of us" and looking at Lirassa's face "You are doing okay?"
Motioning to Zeton and MF to get within whisper range. "She is armed alright, a pistol, a melee blade, and some kind of cold power vest I can't identify ...but whatever it is.... it's active, and Im not willing to bet its just defensive. She is not to come throught that door"
Nekshi was about to open the door, but she suddenly stops and looks a bit puzzled.
Lirassa shakes her head violently.
"I'm fine," she snarls in a low voice, tensing on her haunches. Then she mutters something in Brekka.
"Nekshi," says Mira gently, "you know we both want the same thing. We're a lot alike, you know. We could even be friends! Let's just get this over with, shall we?"
While she says this, Lirassa turns and says something to Ham in a language none of you recognize, but Ham's translator spits it out in Biton.
Sensing that something is about to happen, Zeton makes a move to get Nekshi away from the door and toward the back of the room, behind the other chair if at all possible. While doing this, Zeton will do everything possible to keep out of Lirassa's and Ham's way.
Mon'Fargret will check to see if he can locate any meaningful vulnerabilities through the door opening. He is resigned to battle given the continued psy activity, so he will be ready when Nekshi is clear of the door to attack the greatest vulnerability of the unwanted guests with his mad pistol skills if there is a clear shot.
[What is Dabid up to?...]
Ham nods slowly at Lirassa's comment ...and quietly taps a sequence into his scanner and places on his belt, while thumbing the safety on the small heavy pistol in hand now at his side. He reaches with deliberation into his jacket and half pulls out something that resembles a cylindrical hilt.
Taking a half step to widen his stance and shifting so that the hallway wall is behind him and to cover the entire room ..and then becomes still...
And now we (finally) proceed to a new post.
Post a Comment