Sunday, June 29, 2008

Constable Betham

Betham

As Dabid moves to help Mon'Fargret to his seat, sirens can already be heard approaching from outside. It isn't long before a stern-looking Hergoth peace officer is eying Granite Spear warily through the clear door.

"'Scuse me, there," says Wirg, and he walks around the Shurian and opens the door. "They're gone, Constable!" he cries to the peace officer, who comes into the cafe flanked by a couple more, their eyes fixed on Granite Spear. "You're too late!"

"What happened, Wirg?" asks the Constable levelly. "There was a shooting?"

Wirg points. "One of 'em blasted the floor, damn it all! Nasty gun, though! Looks like the kid got pretty burned!"

"Geishana acolytes are on the way," retorts the Constable, approaching the scene. Then he sees the gang and stops short. There are a couple of seconds of hard-stared frost between the officers and the youths before the Constable says, "Blues! By the Entity! You're a bit far from your neighborhood, aren't you? This is Ekr'im, not Gastra!"

"Flaming collaborator!" spits one of the boys.

"Collaborator?" echoes the constable, taking another step closer. "Who's a collaborator?"

"We can smell the shit on your breath," hisses the leader, "from kissing Yangae asses!"

The Constable makes a Hergoth gesture of annoyance. "Boys, get it through your heads one of these days! The Occupation is over! It ended before you were born! This is an Ergothei world! The Foldorian residents on this planet are Ergothei citizens just like you! You're the ones making things..."

"Not Foldorians!" counters the leader. "I got no twist with Foldorians! It's Yangae poison!"

The Constable sighs. "Yangae and Foldorians are the same r..."

"They're NOT the same!" The gang leader tries to squirm out from under Adulie and Zeton. "Blood maybe, but not soul! Look at him!" He gestures toward Mon'Fargret. "He's a Foldorian! I can respect that as long as he respects our game! The guy who did this," he gestures at the smoking hole in the floor, "is a Yangae! He's got the poison!"

"Look," retorts the Constable. "It's bad enough you guys are trying to throw Gastra all to chaos. You don't need to be coming here and..."

"We KNOW the poison is here!" The leader struggles to his feet, fire in his eyes. "We were sent, and we found it! The poison is in this polluted Yangae soul!"

"Who sent you?" counters the Constable levelly. The boys go silent, looking at the floor, but the Constable smirks. "I don't suppose you'd care to explain who 'The Cleaner' is, would you?"

Some of the boys swear under their breath, and the leader says, "It doesn't matter, does it? We know the poison is here. We know because he does! You can hide behind your shiny, gold badge and your flaming 'peace and harmony' kĕl'wak, but we know it's here. We're gonna find it, too!"

"Unless someone aims a little bit higher?" counters the Constable, gesturing at the hole. "I don't think I need to tell you. By the looks of it it was a Foldorian pulse-baffler, probably a Fakliss KV 3 or 4. It's a very expensive gun, and it's a nasty piece of hardware. He fired only one pulse, and he aimed at that spot just to mess you up. If he'd actually shot you I'd be putting your head and feet in different bags. This was a message, boys. I suggest you read it."

"Flame you!" spits one of the boys.

"Yeah, we're not ducking the path for anything!" says another self-importantly.

"Get it through your lobes, watch," snarls the leader. "We're gonna find the poison, and we're gonna clean it up! If we don't, we're gonna all be kissing pretty Yangae asses again just like you!"

The "acolytes" (Hergoth paramedics) come walking in. The gang leader greets them with a huff but offers no further complaint or resistance.

The Constable (known well by most of you as Constable Betham) says loudly, "Alright, I'm going to need statements from everyone here, so remain on the premises! Just make yourselves comfortable! If any of you are in need of medical attention, the acolytes will help you in turn!" Then he sighs and heads over to the other side of the cafe. "Mon'Fargret," he says semi-pleasantly in Yangae. "How surprised I am to see you here! I got your call, but Wirg called me just a little bit quicker. What happened here?"

64 comments:

Anonymous said...

To the constable in Yangae: "Yeah, it was supposed to be a quiet lunch at my local eatery, but that wasn't to be. Everyone was watching that holovid talent show and voicing their opinion about it.

There were a pair of loyalists watching as well who were the initial "attitudinal voices" . The eventual gunman and his female companion gave the usual self-satisfied responses to the show.

The banter was mostly unremarkable until this group of young Hergoths barged in somewhat inebriated and apparently itching for a confrontation. Despite my attempts to calm the situation that leader fellow there, my he does have some nasty burns, wasn't in a mood to back down.

The loyalist lady seemed quite frightened, but the male seemed to bide his time. His mind was as closed as a steel trap and this seemed to agitate the burned fallow there. My last ditch efforts to intercede were interrupted by the blast you see before you. The male loyalist transported away leaving his lady friend. At least, that what I heard...

Sadly, I was looking right where the blast took place and was unable to respond in a meaningful way. The woman showed some concern for the youth but darted out the door.

As you can see, the kid's attitude hasn't changed much.

If you wish, I should be able to help you create a good composite of the two."

A bit quieter..."Off the record, Betham, can you tell this quiet shopkeeper what the heck is going on? Even that talent show had one of the Fasions on edge here. And your exchange with that Hergoth kid has me really worried. Something is happening and I feel out of the loop."

The Moody Minstrel said...

Dabid says, "I have nothing more to add. My story will be exactly the same. And so will my questions."

Betham sets his jaw as he calls up the holo display on his "wrister" and starts tapping in information.

Still intent on his work, he replies very quietly, "Off the record? There seems to be a lot going on. To be honest, there's not much I can tell you at this point. As for that gang over there, they're part of the 'Blues' from Gastra District. You could call them a sort of Hergoth vigilante militia, but I think you can tell from their talk there's a lot more to them than that. We don't know what they're on about, or what they're doing here in Ekr'im. Anyway, I see enough of that loyalist in your minds to get a pretty good image. I think that's enough. I need to get statements from the others."

With a curt bow, he moves over to the other table, where Nekshi is still eying Widjgleeby, who is just now starting to wake up.

"The Zorlan reporter," says Betham with a wry grin. "Here with...what is it...Zouton?" He jerks a thumb in Zeton's direction. "Would you be so kind as to share with me what you plan to write about this incident?"

The Moody Minstrel said...

One of the other two officers, who were questioning the youths, suddenly looks a bit agitated and then hurries out the door.

Anonymous said...

Zeton chastises himself for not responding to the Hergoth gang leader straight away and decides it is time begin to take things a bit more seriously.

So much has happened in one day, it's hard to keep everything straight. What is this "poison" the gang leader is going on about? Adulie also knows a lot more than she is letting on.

As the Hergoth gang members pepper Zeton with questions he returns Audlie's grim expression and says quietly to her, "After the authorities have come and gone, I would like to speak with you, if I may." He hopes she's able to give him more answers than questions.

As Zeton is finishes up with what he can do for the gang leader, Constable Betham walks in. Zeton looks at the gang leader and, (in Hergoth), says in a hushed tone, "I don't even know your name. I'm Zeton. You seem to know a lot about what's going on, I'd like to talk to you if we get the chance."

Zeton then watches the scene unfold and is not surprised at how it plays out. He listens to Mon'Fargret and Dabid and is ready when Constable Betham speaks to him.

Changing from Hergoth to Yangae, "Well constable, for now, not much. Mon'Fargret has given a very accurate description of what happened."

"I'm not really on assignment, so I'll just submit the basic information: gun shot in local establishment, no one fatally injured and the police are continuing to investigate. To be honest, I doubt that my editors will even run with it."

Zeton sees one of the officers rush out the door and wonders what could be going on. Hopefully he can talk to the gang members once this is all over and find out what happened.

Seymour said...

Nekshi looks at Betham and bows. "My friend's name is 'Zeton', and I plan on writing only the truth. However, if that is inconvienent to your office, I may be willing to delay publication for a few days; whatever is best for the investigation."

She motions Granite away from the door to join her. "I wonder, Constable, if you would mind telling me about this 'Yangae Poison' these youths are so concerned about. Is this a leftover chemical spill from the war, or is it an ongoing Societal struggle which has manifested itself in 'fixed' gameshows and gang violence in quiet cafes?"

She turns her wrist recorder on and holds it, theatrically, towards the Constable.

Seymour said...

Wow, almost a simulpost, Zach! We must have both just finished breakfast.

The Moody Minstrel said...

(quick note to Info Geek since I haven't finished the illustration yet: Constable Betham is Hergoth. His native language is Her-Galad...with a Lyranell twang.)

Constable Betham glances back and forth between Nekshi and Zeton, his highly arched eyebrows furrowing as low as they can go over his large eyes.

"You're free to report what you like," he replies. Then, to Nekshi, he adds, "I don't have much to tell you about this 'poison' the Blues are on about. They use that word a lot, but regular, sane people don't have a clue what it's about." He and the gang leader share a glare, and then he adds very deliberately, "If you ask me, the only poison around here is what's causing gangs like this to form in the first place!"

"Think what you like, Constable," retorts the gang leader gravely. "You'll see! You think you're protecting society. You're wrong. We are the real protectors!"

Constable Betham snorts derisively and shuts off the holo display of his wrister. To Nekshi and Zeton he says, "If I were you I wouldn't pay much attention to any of this. From the look of it these boys just came in looking for trouble and got just that. I have a pretty good idea who the gunman was, and he's just a Foldorian with a lot of pride and a few issues of his own. They irked him, and he didn't want to be irked. I'll see about getting compensation for Wirg's floor, but I think this pretty much wraps it up."

He starts to gather himself up to leave and says something to the other officer in the cafe. Then to the gang leader he says, "Look, Blue, if you're not going to get those burns looked at at a Geishana temple, just promise me you'll get your asses back to Gastra as quickly...and quietly...as possible."

The leader's lip curls. He says, "You've got nothing on..."

"Disturbing the peace!" Betham snaps back. "Possibly even verbal assault and intimidation! One of the Foldorians you threatened here made a claim! That gives me the right to have you all brought in, stunned if necessary. But I'm not going to. I have better things to do with my time. Just get your asses off my watch!"

The gang leader glances around at his fellows, sharing a silent conversation, and replies, "Only after we've finished lunch. We owe Wirg that much."

Betham only glares in reply. Then, motioning to his partner and giving a quick bow to the people in the cafe, he departs.

The Moody Minstrel said...

The Geishana acolyte says to the gang leader, "Are you sure you won't come in and let us have a better look at you?"

The leader sighs and replies quietly, "I'm good to go with these celluplasts. You've graced me."

"But you might have permanent scars!"

"Fine." The leader walks back to his seat at the table, grimacing as he sits. "They'll help me remember my path."

Nodding with understanding, the acolytes prepare to leave.

Seymour said...

Nekshi walks over to where Dabid and Mon'Fargret are standing and addresses the Foldorian. "It seems I have misjudged your position in the community. I was unaware of your connections to the local constabulatory. Do you work in an official capacity, or as an auxilary?"

DewKid said...

Granite decides that the strange red man standing outside the Cafe & Bar isn't coming in, and so turns her attention inward to see Nekshi motioning to her.

Granite moves around the officers carefully, as it is clear they are wary of her (filthy land-grubs!), and across the room to Nekshi's side. She surveys the scene, and stares long at the hole in floor, cursing herself for not noticing the energy weapon earlier.

Granite casually inspects Nekshi to verify that she is uninjured (thank K'lftss'zt!). She studies the other patrons to make a mental inventory of personal effects (other weapons?), and stops at the very quiet Farbett. Leaning over to Nekshi, she asks "Is it dead?"

Seymour said...

Nekshi says to Granite, "No, I'm pretty sure they always smell like that."

DewKid said...

Granite shudders at the prospect it still lives, and wonders how it might ever be considered for cleaning tasks.

Seymour said...

Nekshi notices Granite's reaction and uses a hand signal to indicate Granite must pay attention and learn.

"Do not be quick to judge based solely on physical attributes, Farbetts are even tempered and reliable, thus making good companions. I only hope this one knows how to cook or my proposed dinner tonite may turn into a slightly less terrifying version of the Ministy's genocide wars."

Anonymous said...

Mon'Fargret replies to Nekshi, "I've spoken with Betham some and a couple others, but that's about it. I unsuccessfully tried to bluff those loyalists."

"I think I would like to wrap it up here. I am going to pay up front and get back to the shop. I've probably lost a couple of customers with the delays. Nekshi, would you keep me apprised of the get together for tonight? Here is my Comm ID."

After Nekshi's probable reply, Mon'Fargret heads over to pay his lunch tab. This is all probably before Nekshi addresses Granite Spear.

The Moody Minstrel said...

[Engaging Gamemaster Override since George has yet to say anything...]

Seeing Mon'Fargret going to the front counter, the burly-looking, red-skinned man who had been standing uncertainly outside the door the whole time finally comes in.

Approaching Mon'Fargret, he starts saying something in a language that sounds like it might be Biton (which makes sense considering the red skin). Then the man's verbal translator says in Yangae:

"Excuse me. Are you familiar with a woman named Lirassa? She is a Besteeng. I am a friend of hers. I was supposed to meet her here."

ElTigrez said...

I pause a bit from the walk up from the shop keeper security run. Tedious work but "eh" I mentally shrug ....it pays. I lean up against a decorative piece ....*fuhssardin boots* I mutter. The left one doesnt quite fit properly for a new pair. My big Ibiton feet no doubt. I bang it up on the low curb edge and pause to take a look at my surroundings. All of a sudden there is dull almost inaudible *whump* from around the corner. Curious I come round cautiously to the corner to take a small peek. I can feel the pressure of the concealed "drak" (pistol) against my ribs The Tahrz leather jacket is worn but comfortable, not much protection but *eh* this a pretty calm city.

Turn the corner and there is just a bit of disturbance of people looking up the street... I look thru the glass door and completely stopped.... "Well I'll be a ugly one eyed Vrahrrt Fish" (said out loud in Biton) my head cocked to one side. I see the The large strange form in behind the door.

A shout and hurried footsteps ... The contables are coming .... I decide to hang a bit in the street. They notice the form behind the door and pause.....before entering ....

Interesting. I chew on a piece of spicey gahng idly. I watch for now from the street for the moment. Notice things are settling down, and slowly come through the door in a lazy walk.

Anonymous said...

Zeton turns his attention back to the gang leader and the rest of the Hergoth youth. Slipping back to Her-Galad, (why he spoke in Yangae to the constable is a complete mystery to him), and states, "I don't want to disturb your lunch, so I'll keep this short. I don't agree with constable Betham when he warns us to ignore you or what you're saying, but I do agree that you should be careful. Please take care of yourselves."

Taking out his fountain pen and a slip of paper from his satchel, Zeton quickly writes down different ways the gang can contact him. Setting it down respectfully next to the gang leader Zeton finishes by saying, "I hope you don't mind an old fashion calling card, but it's less likely to be cracked by the ones spreading the poison than the meta-cards I have. Since I don't even know your names yet, I'll let you contact me when you are ready. If I don't hear from you in a couple of days, I'll try to find you on your home turf. Be safe."

Zeton then turns to look for Adulie but does not see her. He would like to ask her some questions before he leaves. As he scans the bar looking for her, he sees a burly red skinned man enter Wirg's and strike up a conversation with Mon'Fargret. Zeton decides to hang back and listen to the conversation while trying to find Adulie.

Seymour said...

Nekshi ignores the Ibitonian for a second and addresses Mon'Farget directly, "Your ruse worked well on me, sadly these others are not so swayed by a fine performance. I shall expect you and Dabid for dinner tonight. For your own protection, bring a salad."

Turning towards the large red humanoid, she says (in Yangae), "Your friend has fled this establishment in pursuit of a possible felon. I suggest you contact her immediately and summon the local law enforcement agencies."

Looking him up and down for a few seconds, she reappraises the situation, "Perhaps contacting the authorities might not be the wisest course of action. Are you by any chance from a merchant vessel?"

The Moody Minstrel said...

(Sorry...my post and George's wound up in reverse order. The red-skinned man is George's character.)

The Moody Minstrel said...

Finding Adulie turns out to be not so difficult. She's behind the bar gathering up some dishes and, apparently, her wits. Seeing Zeton approach, she offers him a pensive smile and a look that indicates she was hoping for such an opportunity.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Both Nekshi and the Ibitonian (George's character, whose name you don't know yet) notice that Lirassa has gone off and left her bag and a light coat behind.

ElTigrez said...

Looking between Mon and the newcomer Nekshi and taking in what she just said, I nod and grunt, thumbing the Com.

I meet her gaze, and I break out in a big easy grin, showing the gold plated teeth on one side "You mean I cant pass for native? What gave me away?" in a deep gravelly growl of a voice.

I notice Lirassa's Com isn't answering. I leave a quick clipped message on mail "Here .. on back.. wh'able. Req till"

I give a contemplative chomp on the gahng, and lift my eyebrows "So ..I guess we get acquainted since you know my associate."

The frag scars crinkle on my right cheek when I smile.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Mon'Fargret goes to pay his bill at the counter.

"Here, let me knock that down a bit," offers Wirg in his gruff tenor. "I hope you won't hold it against me. I try to give people a decent meal, but I think we could've done without the excitement. I'd give it to you on the house, but..." He nods toward the hole in the floor and pulls at a tuft of fur.

ElTigrez said...

I put out a large knuckled hand to Nekshi and Mon'Fargret

"Sorry... being a bit slow on the social..the name is Bargh ...Ham Sahlet von Bargh ...."

ElTigrez said...

I look over and notice the bag and coat arching one eyebrow "She really must have been in a hurry to leave her dinks behind ..guess I get to be part Chancey again."

I also notice the Shurian with a openly curious measured gaze ...up and ....down

"Now you be quite the sight" I say contemplatively.

Seymour said...

Nekshi smiles at the Ibitonian and ignores the preoffered hand. "von Bargh, that's a Fordian name isn't it? But you still haven't answered my question. You are a crewman on a merchant vessel, is Lirissa your shipmate?"

Seeing Ham's interest in Granite she says, "May I introduce my friend Granite Spear the Shurian. She is my friend and protector. Granite, this is Ham Sahledt von Bargh an Ibitonian who seems most taken with you."

"I'll leave you two to get aquainted, while I pay our bill."

She turns and heads for the bar, giving Granite a parting hand gesture.

Anonymous said...

As Zeton watches the red skinned man begin to talk to Mon'Fargret and Nekshi he sees Adulie behind the bar.

Making his way over to her he sense she might have something to share.

"Aduile, while we were ordering our meal Uskue mentioned that your sister was a contestant in the talent competition. I'm guessing you haven't heard from her after that, right?"

Zeton realizes in his search for answers he isn't being very polite he continues by asking, " What's your sister's name? Is she a singer?"

Almost as an after thought Zeton finishes by saying "From what I can tell, the performers awarded a second chance do perform, but I'm not sure where. Do you know where your sister performed?"

Not wishing to overwhelm Adulie with too many questions Zeton smiles and apologetically says, "Sorry for all the questions, its the reporter in me."

Anonymous said...

(trying to keep the action in order...)

1. Nekshi conversation: Mon'Fargret flashes a brief smile when Nekshi says, "For your own protection, bring a salad." After nodding askance at Dabid, Mon'Fargret says, "We will. About one hour before sunset [or some appropriate time interval]? Thanks."

2. The Ibitonian approach: Mon'Fargret notices this new person with some interest. After waiting for the translation and stammering a bit due to not having met her, he is relieved when Nekshi saves him the trouble. Mon'Fargret hopes a nod and a gesture towards Nekshi is enough.

At the announcement of Bargh's name, he says "I am Mon'Fargret." Sensing his part in the conversation is over, he proceeds to the counter.

3. Wirg: After Wirg speaks, Mon'Fargret says, "I thank you for your hospitality. I am sorry I wasn't able to put the brakes on the situation. If you have a few business cards, I can put in a good word for you at my shop and send a few people over to make up for some of...this."

He gestures at the floor damage. "Please thank Uskua for her grace under pressure. Maybe you can let me know if you find out what this was all about beyond nationalistic noise. I will do the same if I hear anything. Who knows, we may be in for more of this crap. Take care, Wirg."

DewKid said...

Granite returns Bargh's stare, with one of her own. The red skinned man looks somewhat edible, and reminds her of the native river crabs back home. She walks a complete circle around him, and tries to gauge his combat ability.

She wonders if Bargh has any natural predators, and decides to ask. Unfortunately, the translation isn't all that clear, and comes out something like "Can you be eaten?"

ElTigrez said...

I nod defferentially to Mon'Fargret as he leaves, noting has substantial pull with the constabulatory officers. A useful bit of information to file away.


After a pause...a slight smile again.. "In regards to your question Nekshi, yes ...Fordian...I wouldnt expect someone around these parts to know.

And...

We are a freetrader and encountered pirates, our drive stacks held until we made Port. We are disabled currently that is common knowledge on the docks. However you will have to talk to Lirassa for more details. Im assuming she has been talking to you otherwise she wouldnt have left her dinks"

[and regards to Granite]

I got Granite's attention as I see her reconnutier around me slowly.

"Can I be eaten?" My eyebrows bounce up briefly at the question. [Im not sure the translator is doing its best but *eh* 'Bare to the Dragon'*salute*] I smile broadly but restrain showing teeth lest it be seen as aggression.

I hold the gaze not giving an inch, adopting an aloof slight at ease shift in stance. "To answer your question - Yes. But I wouldnt recommend it. We Ibitonians are very disaggreeable at best, causing bad indigestion or worse."

My eyes twinkle slightly "We have something on my homeworld we call Varkamz or 'Bullet Heads' they make for good sport, and I would say its about pretty fair odds either way. They are edible - so so to middlin. How about you? Fair is fair - since you asked." I raise one eyebrow to idly emphasize.

DewKid said...

Granite looks confused at Bargh's long answer. Rather than respond, Granite pretends not to notice him anymore, and idly moves back to Nekshi's side.

Seymour said...

Nekshi settles her tab with Wirg and asks casually if he caters.

Sensing Granite's approach, she places a hand on her shoulder.

"There, there. Not everyone's good for eating. The Ibitonian might have important information about the pirate activity in system, as well as a working relationship with Lirissa. Perhaps we should invite him tonite as well?"

She looks at the tall, red humanoid and sighs. "I don't even know what 'they' eat. At least my headache has subsided. Now let us gather Kulof and return home."

Seymour said...

I hate to double post, but I forgot to invite George's character to dinner.

Having settled her bill, Nekshi returns with Granite to the Ibitonian, still standing, rather lost looking, in the center of the cafe.

Addressing him, once again, in Yangae, "My pardons sir, but we must leave now. My partner (indicating Granite) needs the cool embrace of the river to revive her spirits and I have a rather large meal to prepare. I suggest you gather your friend's belongings and settle her bill, before Wirg has call to summon the authorities again."

She continues, "You seem well-balanced emotionally, and Granite seems to have taken a liking to you (i.e, she didn't maul you), so I invite you to dinner at my dwelling this evening. My friends and I will discuss matters of great importance, some of which, I believe, have bearing on the pirate attack on your ship, and the strange disappearence of your shipmate's 'boyfriend'."

"Here is my business card, with the appropriate address and comm #. I will expect you and perhaps your shipmate (if you find her) around sundown, that's 1830 hours to spacers. Please bring the requisite amount of cask aged alcohol for a well-mannered social gathering, and perhaps an appetizer."

She searches the cafe visually for Koluf.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Kuluf is still there, slurping up the last of his algae like nothing happened.

As for Nekshi's question to Wirg about catering, he answers with a puzzled look and says, "Cater? No, I don't really do that, but I do prepare take-out orders if people ask for 'em. I need a bit of advance notice, though, unless you got dishes I can borrow!"

Seymour said...

Since Zeton is still there, Nekshi will ask his opinion on the whole 'dinner' issue.

She has broken down the arguments for and against cooking it herself into 4 basic groups, and will present these to Zeton for further review.

Anonymous said...

Zeton has been listening intently to Aduile and during the course of their conversation he writes his contact information on another slip of paper and slides it across the bar to her.

Glancing over his shoulder, Zeton sees Nekshi taking to Wirg and motioning for him to come over. It seem she needs to ask him something.

Zeton bids farewell to Adulie and makes his way over to Nekshi.

"I don't think I've ever heard more convincing arguments for and against cooking a meal. With all that has happened, it might be best if we all helped out. Everyone should bring something and we can all share."

"I'm not a bad cook and I would be happy to lend a hand in any way that I can. How does that sound?"

Seymour said...

Nekshi bows, profoundly grateful. "You are most wise, Master Zeton. Let us finally leave Wirg's fine establishment and go our seperate ways."

As they are leaving, "I only hope grocery shopping is less stressful than lunch. I will attempt to prepare an entree, prehaps you, with your Lyboltian flair would be good enough to provide a dessert? And maybe some crackers."

"Now go forth, and contemplate a high quality confection! And could you try a hand at waking the Farbett as well?"

Phillipa Scratch said...

Widjgleebe opened one eye and swallows the venomous spitball she was nursing. This was one hell of a job interview. People moving about all the time and speaking fast and she didn't even recognize all of the languages. Then things got angry. She hadn't thought she'd need weapons at an interview. She didn't own any anyway. She was very happy to see the Her'goth Blues come in. Male youths of most races liked to settle their anger with a nice fight. Then that Loyalist pulled a big fancy gun (she would have asked to see it closer if he hadn't been so angry and so . . . Yangae!) She decided the best course was to take none and put a piece of fungus in her mouth and started injecting it with venom and chewing it into a gooey mess. It is hard to shoot a target, even one as big as she was if you were blind.

When Widjgleebe saw the constable she closed her eyes and pretended to be asleep. She never never wanted to spend any more time in jail. She thought and she was right that he would take one look, think "I don't have all day to listen to a Farbett, I have enough other witnesses" and leave her alone.

She was aching to get out of there. To find some juicy sewer rats to round out her lunch and stop by a good meat market to get some ingredients for supper that night. She'd show them how good a cook she was. She'd make meat cooked in a cooking box with sauce and spices maybe even some of the sweet bread balls with fruit in the center.

She should remember to bring her meat cleaver. She had a feeling if she hung around with these people, she would need it.

Anonymous said...

When Zeton hears "dessert", his mind begins to wander to the many different delights he could try and whip up for the end of this evenings meal. But he is quickly brought back to reality when he hears Nekshi say, "crakcers". Crackers?!??? Well, everyone would need something to snack on before the main meal, so he soon understands why Nekshi would ask him to bring some along.

As Nekshi takes her leave with Dabid while asking Zeton to wake up Widjgleebe, he sees the great Farbett stirring from her sleep... or was she just pretending? Zeton was not positive one way or another and quickly decided it would be impolite to ask. However, there was one question that needed answering. What sort of crackers did Farbetts like? Do they even eat crackers?

And then there was the red skinned fellow... Ham Sahlet von Bargh. He seems to work with Lirassa. Where had she gotten to?

Providing the proper greeting, (*out of character, like a handshake*) Zeton faces the Ibitonian and states, "Bargh! We have not been introduced, but I'm Zeton and this is Widjgleebe. I heard Nekshi invite you to dinner, but what about Lirassa?"

Turning to the Farbett, Zeton continues, "Widjgleebe, if you are willing, would you please join us in looking for Lirassa and then shopping for the appropriate food for tonight's dinner? As an incentive to sway you to work with us, I'll purchase any food want to bring along."

Zeton then moves over to Lirassa's table and collects her belongings. Looking up at Bargh and Widjgleebe he says, "Let me pay for Lirassa's drinks and my food and then we can go shopping. Wait, Widjgleebe, let me pay for your food as well. "

As Zeton makes his way over to Wirg and hands him his credit chit, Zeton realizes this day was much more eventful than he ever imagined. Now if they could find Lirassa...

The Moody Minstrel said...

As Zeton starts collecting Lirassa's belonging, Wirg gives an "'Oy, what d'ya think you're doing there?" He comes toddling out from behind the bar and says, "Now, you seem like a decent sort, but I don't recall Lirassa giving you leave to haul off her 'neededs'! She n' I know each other pretty well, but I've only seen your face here a couple o' times. I think you'd better leave it t' me now."

The Moody Minstrel said...

"Do not be troubled, Zeton," says Adulie. "Lirassa and I know each other very well. I'll look after her things."

Anonymous said...

Zeton nods with approval to Aduile and leaves Lirassa's belongs at her table.

"Thank you Aduile, that's very kind of you. If Lirassa returns here, could you please tell her about the dinner tonight?" Zeton pauses to look at Wrig, Uskue and then Aduile and then continues, "I can't believe how rude we've been. Would you three care to join us for dinner tonight as well? I didn't notice what time the Cafe closes, but if you are free and want to join us for dinner, I think it's the least we can do after what happened today."

Zeton quickly flips over a beer mat and writes Nekshi's address on the back of it and hands it to Wirg.

"I realize you all are busy, but please join us if you can."

With that, Zeton turns to face Bargh and Widjgleebe and says, "OK, lets go get what we'll need for tonight."

ElTigrez said...

I take Neskhi's business card with the information on it, and nod an agreement as well saying thank you.

I accept Zeton's hand easily enough in agood frim Ibitonian grip as he comes up.

"Ham Sahledt von Bargh! yeah thats me ..may the great great granfathers smile fortune! *Hah* but Ham Sahledt or Ham would be good enough"

Adulie -"Thanks for taking care of Lirassa's dinks for me, I would look a little silly carrying that around." I grin at her.

"I was going to get a bite to eat here, but it looks like we should go find her. I'll come along. I was wondering if Uskue could get me a quick meat dish for a snack on the go? If it wasnt too much trouble. I'll tip nicely." I smile at her with a quick flirt of a look.

"Onwards I guess. I hope Zeton you know these neighbhorhoods a bit better than me?"

I check to see if Lirassa has left any voice messages on my comm in answer.

The Moody Minstrel said...

(For the record, it was Granite Spear that left with Nekshi, not Dabid. Dabid is still sitting in the cafe nursing a drink...and sighing.)

Uskua gives a wry grin and says (in Biton),"Thok-ya tu-dek-boan tcok-jus thok-ij tu-bit-hAg, y-Ham." With a wink and a sultry swirl of hip, she saunters back into the kitchen.

Wirg snorts and goes back to what he was doing.

"What in flames language was that?" wonders one of the Hergoth youths aloud.

"Her-Galad, Yangae, uh...whatever that was," says another with genuine wonder, counting on his fingers. "Just how many languages does that Ilfroi speak, anyway?"

"Seven, I believe," replies Adulie as she sets their food before them. "Eight if you count her own."

The youths are seriously impressed.

(There is no message from Lirassa.)

Anonymous said...

"Ham Sahledt, maybe you could try calling her via your com link?" Zeton is beginning to wonder what happened to Lirassa.

"If she doesn't answer, maybe you should call your ship and see if she's turned up there." Did she catch the loyalist female, or was Lirassa captured?

"We aren't doing Lirassa any good staying in here. I suggest we go look for her. If she returns, she'll call you. If we find her, she can join us if she likes. While we are looking for her, we can try and pick up some of the food we need for tonight."

Zeton then realizes he has no idea which way Lirassa or the loyalist ran once they left the cafe.

"Did anyone happen to see which direction the Foldorian woman ran off to when she fled?. Ham Sahledt, did you see anyone run out of the cafe on your way here?"

Zeton sees Dabid still in the cafe and asks him, "Do you have any suggestions? You know this area better than I do."

Zeton begins to feel the sinking feeling in his stomach that the day is going to turn out worse than it already has...

ElTigrez said...

Uskua's utterance evokes a look seldom seen on my face - total surprise. Followed by a rolling low laugh as I watch her depart with a swing of those hips I exclaim [in Biton] "ma,ma! yanyi badu tcok düan ?!Biton"

Followed by a few sentences quickly [in native Biton] that results in a appreciative squeal from the kitchen.

My face sobers however as I thumb the comm again while listening to Zeton's suggestion. I select
ship channel and log my inquiry concerning Lirassa's whereabouts and mark it urgent.

"My thoughts exactly - I already have tried but get her voicemail. I am not quite happy she tore off like that by herself. The Yangae neighbhorhoods can get a bit rough from what I heard to outsiders, I have feeling thats the direction the loyalist went, luck if Lirassa catches her before then. I saw nothing as I came up to the cafe other than people looking up the street. By then the constables were arriving."

I look at Dabid as Zeton inquires of him, my set in interest.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Dabid looks up and sighs.

"If you really want my opinion," he says glumly, "I don't think that loyalist woman is heading anywhere she might be found." He takes a sip of his drink and shakes his head. "Call it a gut feeling if you like. That and the last things she said and did before leaving here. *sigh* It's all wrong!"

The Moody Minstrel said...

"Hey," says a soft voice in Her-Galad that turns out to be coming from the leader of the Hergoth gang. He looks at Zeton warily but intently. Then he holds out a hand in a Her-Galad gesture of friendly beckoning.

He looks a bit uncomfortable, as if it's a gesture he's not used to making.

Anonymous said...

Zeton is beginning to worry more about Lirassa and whats become of her. She can probably take care of herself, but he wishes they would hear something from her.

He then hears a sound coming from the Hergoth gang and turns to see what it is. Zeton is pleasantly surprised to see the gang leader beckon him over to their table and hopes this is a good sign.

Walking over to the leader, Zeton greets him in a respectful and friendly Her-Galad manner. Speaking in Her-Galad Zeton says, "I hope you can help us out. I'm beginning to think we're not going to be seeing Lirassa anytime soon."

The Moody Minstrel said...

The youth glares, and his lip curls.

"What, that fancy-looking wench?" he retorts. "I bet I could tell you where she is, especially if she went after that Yang lady. She's not why I called you here. The Yang lady is."

He leans closer and says very quietly, "She's afraid. I read it when I saw her, but I got it all when she touched me. It's the Yang guy she was with. She's scared to pain of him. She's got something of his, something he showed her that freaked her out." He chuckles indulgently. "She took it! He doesn't know...at least not yet!" Then he becomes more grave. "He thinks he just ditched her. I don't know; maybe he thinks she'll come running back to him. But she's ready to do him good! She knows now! She saw the poison, and now she hates being Yang! She wants to pop the lid on it. If she does, she'll do 'em all good...unless he gets her first. Trouble is the cops don't know which side they're on!"

The other youths erupt into a round of chuckles.

The leader grips Zeton's arm.

"Now we know why we were sent here," he whispers. "We were thinking it was a mistake, but now we know! We found the poison! He was right! It was here! We found something else, too..."

He pulls Zeton closer.

"We know you want to be a friend to us. That's why you try to be like one of us. Anyone who is not our enemy is our friend, you know, but you take it even further! Where is your loyalty, Zeton? Do you really want to know everything? First you have to earn our trust. You haven't done that yet. I will tell you this, though..."

He glances around and then leans close to Zeton again.

"Your friend the Ya...er...Foldorian," he says. "When she touched me, I saw him in her mind. Powerful image, too! She's thinking about him hard! Maybe he just got her glands pumping. Maybe it's something else. I didn't get it. But I can tell you this..."

He turns out the pockets of his flame-scarred sweatshirt, which are quite empty.

"The card Nekshi gave me. She took it. You know what that means, don't you?"

He releases Zeton's arm and leans forward again, but he adds, "We'll find each other again, Zeton. Especially if you really want to know. You don't need to know my name now, but I'm known as Blue Twelve."

The other youths then begin introducing themselves in turn...all using "Blue" plus numerical designations.

Anonymous said...

Mon'Fargret walks briskly back to his shop, a bit overdue from all of the excitement. Even though he is walking quickly to get back, he still scans Artist's square for some sign of the women who bolted from Wirg's earlier. It is hopeless, he knows, but he looks anyway.

"Well, back to the business of business," he mutters as he prepares for an afternoon of selling craft work. Maybe a little work on a new craft project would be the thing...take his buzzing mind off these nagging details. He pulls braided strands of some kind of wool or yarn and starts working them, enjoying the feel of the rough fiber in his hands. This should be the real world, not that other stuff.

Seymour said...

Nekshi reads the 'business' reports on her communicator as the three disparate companions wander an open air market in search of foodstuffs.

"Things have suddenly become more complicated my friends, I'm afraid there is a good chance we are under observation by the local authorities. Please remain calm and do not act in a nervous manner. I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for this."

She picks up a rather choice looking local tuber and ponders its rustic starchiness.

"Our comm messages are sure to be scanned, yet I need to convey this information to Zeton and Mon'Fargret, without alerting the watchers. I'm afraid waiting until our dinner tonight might allow important events to transpire without our intervention, so therefore, I am open to suggestions."

She frowns at the tuber and sets it back down on the table.

Seymour said...

Nekshi continues (still quietly), "Granite, Kulof, it is important we don't allow any nearby Hergoth watchers to 'read' our surface thoughts and become aware of our subterfuge. I suggest an argument to mask our plans and give us the oppurtunity to slip away and discuss this further. Please forgive me, but this is the best I can come up with."

With that, Nekshi pushes away from Granite's side and turns on her, "Clumsy beast! Will you not observe the placement of your spikes! This is the second time you've nearly impaled me! We shall now discuss your lack of manual dexterity in a more remote setting!"

The Moody Minstrel said...

Just for the record, Yangae farmers don't buy or sell produce in open-air markets (too "uncivilized"), and Hergoth farmers don't usually grow tubers (because harvesting them kills them). But now that I think about it, there are a couple of possibilities...

[rolls die]

Okay, it was a Farbett farmer. Problem solved.

(By the way....Kuluf did NOT accompany you. He's still in the cafe.)

Anonymous said...

Zeton remains as calm as he can and tries not to appear too alarmed as he listens to Blue Twelve.

Following the proper Hergoth cultural non verbal cues, Zeton makes sure to not come across as being to defensive, nor to aggressive as he prepares his careful reply.

He knows this Hergoth gang holds much information that would be of use the group to solve the mysteries that have come to light. He also is warming up the the gang. Their methods are not the ones he would choose and he's not sure how far he can trust them, but Zeton doesn't think they mean any harm to him. They truly believe there is a toxin that needs to be cured.

Zeton understand he must be careful, so as diplomatically as he can, he replies to Blue Twelve, "Yes, I understand what this means. You honor me with this information. I truly wish I had something to give to you in return for it, but for the moment, I do not. The only information I can give you is this: The female Yangae loyalist is not my friend."

"You are correct, I haven't not earned your trust, but you also have not earned my complete trust either. I hope we will continue to bridge the gap that spans our groups and come to truly understand and trust each other."

"I believe you when you tell me there is a poison that needs to be dealt with and I will work to solve this mystery as best I can."

Turing to face the group Zeton acknowledges and thanks them all in the proper Hergoth farewell. "I hope you all have a safe journey home."

Zeton's thoughts are no longer on Lirassa. The loyalist woman holds an important key. Zeton isn't sure if the loyalist intends to contact Nekshi for help, or to harm her, but Zeton can no longer wait around in the bar. He is also concerned that if the male loyalist finds her first...

Returning to Ham and Widjgleebe, Zeton says as calmly as he can, "OK, look, we need to find Nekshi. The card Nekshi gave the gang leader was taken by the loyalist woman, so we need to warn her. After that we can concentrate on finding Lirassa."

"Widjgleebe, I know this wasn't the interview you expected, but we could really use your help. Your strength and insight to the area would be greatly valuable to us."

"Ham, I can imagine you're more concerned about Lirassa right now than us. We don't even know each other, but if you join us, I hope we can find Lirassa and solve all these puzzles."

Standing up to go, Zeton looks at both Widjgleebe and Ham and says, "Will you join me to find Nekshi?"

Anonymous said...

(Out of character - sorry for all the grammatical and spelling errors. It's late and I wanted to get this reply out before I went to bed. I think my favorite is the double negative. Oh well...)

The Moody Minstrel said...

(Mark your ALT attribute, Don!)

Mon'Fargret catches a glimpse of a woman who he thinks might be the loyalist. Acting nonchalant as he makes his way through the crowds in Artists' Square toward his shop, he throws a few casual glances in that direction. He's still not sure if it's her or not, but he chooses not to look harder. whoever it is definitely appears to be watching him. For all he knows, she might be trying to follow him, too.

Just in case, he decides to take a more roundabout route to his shop.

Then, all of a sudden, chaos breaks out. There is a shout, a thump, a swirl of color, and a whole series of crashes as bodies become entangled in a rack full of wares and bear each other to the pavement. This is followed by some definitely not very civilized shouting in Yangae. Apparently the woman was too intent on Mon'Fargret to notice her immediate surroundings, and she has committed a colossal blunder. Now she is in plain sight, and Mon'Fargret has a very good reason to give her a good look. There is no mistaking who she is now. It is definitely the loyalist.

Quickly dismissing herself from the loud tongue-lashing she's getting with an apology and a few polite insults of her own, the loyalist woman tries to duck back into the crowd heading in another direction. The last glimpse of her reveals her slipping into a nearby boutique.

Mon'Fargret continues on his way to his shop.

The Moody Minstrel said...

I forgot to mention something else. When looking at the scene of the altercation, Mon'Fargret catches a glimpse of a peace force (i.e. police) flier-bike moving behind one of the buildings at a very leisurely pace.

Police bikes can often be seen skirting the area on patrol. This one, however, looks to be hanging around. Definitely unusual.

Seymour said...

Kevin, he's probably not following me because I keep calling him 'Koluf'. He thinks I'm talking about his cousin.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Either that or he's just not sufficiently tuned into current reality. ;-)

DewKid said...

Granite Spear flings her back up in aggression at Nekshi's hurtful remark. "You push me too far, small one! First the early call from the river, then to this sickeningly dry eatery where we nearly get cooked, and now this!"

Granite spins around and walks away from Nekshi. "Ssshkkkka. Would you have me leave you here?"

The word "Ssshkkkka" is one of ten key codewords that Nekshi requires Granite to learn each week (they change all the time). This particular code word means "Loyalty", and gives Nekshi all the indication she would need that Granite is "acting".

[GameMaster - I hope that I'm not presuming too much. I've noticed that you have been *editing* where necessary, so if you think it is too much that Nekshi has planned code words with Granite for just such a subterfuge, feel free to change the text!]

Anonymous said...

Mon'Fargret imagines a quasit, but only for a nanosecond.

He then backtracks at a swift walk towards the boutique the loyalist woman entered. He would like to sprint to catch her, but now is not the time to arouse suspicion with the hovering flier about.

He proceeds on the off chance circumstances keep her in there. On the way, he thinks about the flier and wonders whether heading back to the shop may bring more trouble. This day is getting weirder and weirder [aside: my regular non-RPG day was extremely weird today...luckily no plasma blasts yet].

If the woman search doesn't pan out, he is going to call Dabid to see where he is and take it from there.

ElTigrez said...

I keep my expression neutral in lieu of Her-Galad encounter with Zeton and let a slight secretive smile briefly appear towards him only. I stand up to full height, with a slow uncoil to shake off muscle kinks. I slowly nod and say "alright" to both Zeton and Widjgleebe "I will be waiting outside".

I walk up to Uskua and my face softens into warm smile as she hands me the "to go" order.

taking a brief sniff of the aroma of the dish..... my smile widens "=$badu" ... and then make a comment in Biton as I pay her the cost (including a nice tip), that that gets a genuine smile in return. I bid farewell to Wirg.

I turn for the door, the smile disappears completely, to a more businesslike look. Im thinking hopefully Lirassa didnt step into too deep of a mess. Eyes flick to give the briefest of eye contact with the gang leader as I walk slowly past. Just enough to let an idle hard metallic edge to surface with a disinterested mental smile, and ignore the rest on the way out. The floor squeaks underfoot in one spot.

The Moody Minstrel said...

(Dewkid...not presumptuous at all! I love it! For the most part I only edit when things progress too far, and I have to force a "backtrack" to the point where something happens. I'll also step in if someone throws in a blatant factual error that I just can't ignore.)

Okay, I think it's time for a new post!